AR Tac Slings

So I'm in the market for a new tacticool AR sling. The sling will get use at the range, some at the carbine class I plan to take, and who knows where else? Pretty standard stuff.

I'm interested in hearing opinions about the various slings on the market and your experience with them. I see they have a wide range of price and configuration. What works for you? What do you recommend?

So I'm in the market for a new tacticool AR sling. The sling will get use at the range, some at the carbine class I plan to take, and who knows where else? Pretty standard stuff.

I'm interested in hearing opinions about the various slings on the market and your experience with them. I see they have a wide range of price and configuration. What works for you? What do you recommend?

Blackhawk single point sling. A+.

IMO, I'd stay away from 3 point slings as I tend to get all wrapped up in them -- Just too much going on. As for single point slings, they have their purpose, but the gun tends to jump around a lot while hanging there. And, if you drop it to transition to pistol, it generally drops straight down. Now, while that isn't generally a problem for the ladies, but one drop in the right place and you'll be out of the fight for at least a couple seconds while you recoup. [wink]

For general use, I would go with a 2 point sling. If you get into something where you are wearing armor and a vest, then single point may start to show its benefits. I have the padded Vickers 2-point sling and it is awesome. It adjusts quickly and easily for off-hand shooting. Its comfortable to wear for extended amounts of time, as well.

I actually have a Spectre Gear single point on my Mossberg 590 at the moment. It's alright, and it serves its purpose, but the 2-point design is much more useful. I will probably upgrade to a Vickers for that down the road as well.

Here is a link to the Vickers site where Larry describes the pros and cons to each type. Again, it depends on what you're looking to do with the rifle, but based on what you've stated, the 2-point will be your best bet.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/carbineSlings.htm

I agree with those who are recommending two-point slings. My favorite is the wide padded Viking sling. It is incredibly comfortable and easy to adjust on the fly.

Larue Tactical offers it as well as any necessary hardware for typical setups.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=454
ive been using that sling for about 2 years now. i do not use it to hold the rifle tight to my body, i hate firing with the sling tight on me. insted i used it to "hang" off my body. the sling has a elastic part on it that allows you to get out of snags easy, and smash the rifle off someones face easier, insted of having the rifle stuck to your body. pretty good stuff.

worked fine for me overseas. about 70% of people in my company used this sling.

easy to use, easy to install. and can be used in the "tactical sling" firing stuff. and super strong.

i can pick one up at hanscom for you if you want, if you live in boston / northshore area.

Last edited:
SmithandWessonMP15FTwithEOTech516an.jpg

I really like my Viking Tactical.......watch their video and you will be sold on the sling !!!!!!!

Good luck with your choice

Mike

Our PD put single-point slings on their M4s. Looked really cool.

However, after talking with someone else in LE, I don't think those slings are the greatest idea. They are bungee-like and it's been reported (elsewhere) that a few officers have taken the butt in the jaw on the "bounce-back".

Best advice I've been given is a two-point sling. I bought them for my ARs but have yet to try them out.

Any modern two point quick adjust sling is good to go. Single point slings have limited applications. Personally I run Vickers sling on all of my rifles.

do you guys use the sling for support during reloads? I find my rifle is heavy when i try to keep my rifle on site while i reload. I have a 2-point Vtac that i like. I will not rule out the option that i am a sissy who can't hold up his gun.

Eric Lund taught a great technique - put your rifle stock under your armpit for support during reloads. You are not losing much time, but you are gaining a lot in terms of stability and management. You can also use this position during room clearing when your support hand opens doors, etc...

put your rifle stock under your armpit for support during reloads. You are not losing much time, but you are gaining a lot in terms of stability and management....

This is what I do. Butt comes down slightly to the armpit and gets trapped and slightly canted. All the while I am dropping the old mag, pulling a fresh one and slamming in the new one. I confirm seating by push/pull on the mag. Gun gets rotated back to horizontal, support hand grips up and the gun is re-indexed. All this while trying to maintain scanning.

Back to the original topic: I prefer two point slings over single for a few major reasons:
-If you let go of your single point and let it ride the sling, it will pop you in the junk. It's not a matter of if but when and how often it will happen. Not a lot of fun.
-You need to have a means to control the gun when you are not holding it. A weapons catch works but it can get cumbersome and will take up property somewhere on your kit. A two point just allows you to rotate it behind you or off to your side.

This happens to work for me and the Viking works perfectly for what I do. The MS2 is a great convertible sling and would be the only other one I would consider.

This is what I do. Butt comes down slightly to the armpit and gets trapped and slightly canted. All the while I am dropping the old mag, pulling a fresh one and slamming in the new one. I confirm seating by push/pull on the mag. Gun gets rotated back to horizontal, support hand grips up and the gun is re-indexed. All this while trying to maintain scanning.

Back to the original topic: I prefer two point slings over single for a few major reasons:
-If you let go of your single point and let it ride the sling, it will pop you in the junk. It's not a matter of if but when and how often it will happen. Not a lot of fun.
-You need to have a means to control the gun when you are not holding it. A weapons catch works but it can get cumbersome and will take up property somewhere on your kit. A two point just allows you to rotate it behind you or off to your side.

This happens to work for me and the Viking works perfectly for what I do. The MS2 is a great convertible sling and would be the only other one I would consider.

Thanks for the tips op4. I got to really test out the Troy 2-point yesterday in the pouring rain and over kit. The rifle rides perfectly and comfortably. It really is a well-made sling. The one issue I have with it is adjustment - really take up. When the gun is riding high, you can pull a release handle and drop the rifle several inches into a fighting position. Works like a charm. The only problem I'm having, (unless I'm missing something), is getting the gun back to a chest position - seems to require dexterity I don't possess....

I have some of the same issues with mine Mark. If I am stripped down running only my Warbelt it's not too bad but when I throw my full armor kit on it gets a little awkward to adjust on the fly. Sometimes I just rotate the gun around slightly so I can reach the slide adjuster. It really depends on how I am positioning it and what I am wearing.

I have not tried the Troy yet but it looks like a solid design.

Where do you all attach the sling? I have mine at the FSB and the back end of the stock on my M4. I find on reloads the strap seems to be in my way when i grab a mag off my belt with my right hand. Would this improve if i move the attachment point to the receiver end of the forearm?

Where do you all attach the sling? I have mine at the FSB and the back end of the stock on my M4. I find on reloads the strap seems to be in my way when i grab a mag off my belt with my right hand. Would this improve if i move the attachment point to the receiver end of the forearm?

That's your problem...If you have a two-point sling attached traditionally, it's going to interfere with your mag changes and perhaps other functions of the gun - especially if you're not shooting from a static firing line. I'm not sure how your rifle is set up, but I have a Colt side-sling mount at my FSB and a Troy M16A4, (I have a fixed Sully Stock) mounted at my receiver:

http://store.troyind.com/M16_Strap_Mount_for_A4_Style_Battleslings_p/smou-6a4-00bt-00.htm

If you have a carbine-style collapsable, you can get one of these:

http://store.troyind.com/OEM_M4_Battlesling_Mount_p/smou-m4s-00bt-00.htm

Or, depending on your stock, you can attach the two-point to the side sling-mount found on most collapsable stocks. Get that sling out to the side and closer to your receiver and you'll see your issues evaporate. Also for your front mount, if you have rails, you can gat a front rail-mount. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule of thumb seems to be, that the closer your front and rear mounts are to the receiver, the better. I'm not running rails and have no plans to, (KISS), so the Colt side-sling mount works just fine...

That's your problem...If you have a two-point sling attached traditionally, it's going to interfere with your mag changes and perhaps other functions of the gun - especially if you're not shooting from a static firing line. I'm not sure how your rifle is set up, but I have a Colt side-sling mount at my FSB and a Troy M16A4, (I have a fixed Sully Stock) mounted at my receiver:

http://store.troyind.com/M16_Strap_Mount_for_A4_Style_Battleslings_p/smou-6a4-00bt-00.htm

If you have a carbine-style collapsable, you can get one of these:

http://store.troyind.com/OEM_M4_Battlesling_Mount_p/smou-m4s-00bt-00.htm

Or, depending on your stock, you can attach the two-point to the side sling-mount found on most collapsable stocks. Get that sling out to the side and closer to your receiver and you'll see your issues evaporate. Also for your front mount, if you have rails, you can gat a front rail-mount. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule of thumb seems to be, that the closer your front and rear mounts are to the receiver, the better. I'm not running rails and have no plans to, (KISS), so the Colt side-sling mount works just fine...

Thanks Mark. Now that i think of it the two points closer together makes sense. Easy manipulation of the butt stock and less "lines" in the way during reload.

My sling is attached at the end of the stock with enough to allow it to freely swap sides. On the forward end it is attached about mid rail and these makes it usable for me with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom