AR Style .22LR or AR-15 to .22LR Conversion kit

What is the goal? Do you want to reduce trainging costs with an AR? Make that YOUR AR? Or simply plink? If you want one for training purposes, get a Nordic .22lr upper. If you want a plinker, then any of the "AR" type .22lr's will do.

i bought cmmg .22 kit for plinking indoor when it's cold out. it was cheaper than an entire.22 upper and i'm happy with it.
didn't see a need to have dedicated upper. but it's really up to you.

keep in mind that when you use a kit you are using barrel that has ~1:9 twist for jacketed 60gr .223 bullet, which is too aggressive for small 30gr unjacketed slug. more aggressive rifling will cause increased barrel leading

dedicated upper on other hand will have correct twist for .22LR bullet which i believe is 1:16 therefore you get the most out of it accuracy wise

just my $0.02

Last edited:
i bought cmmg .22 kit for plinking indoor when it's cold out. it was cheaper than an entire.22 upper and i'm happy with it.
didn't see a need to have dedicated upper. but it's really up to you.

keep in mind that when you use a kit you are using barrel that has ~1:9 twist for jacketed 60gr .223 bullet, which is too aggressive for small 30gr unjacketed slug. more aggressive rifling will cause increased barrel leading

dedicated upper on other hand will have correct twist for .22LR bullet which i believe is 1:16 therefore you get the most out of it accuracy wise

just my $0.02

It's not so much the twist, it's the diameters. A centerfire .22 is .224 in diameter, the rimfire is .222 in diameter. In the world of projectiles, it's huge.

I have a CMMG conversion kit that I bought for plinking. In my experience, this kit is fairly accurate (50 yards shots off a old motorcycle helmet) while standing with no bench. I'm using the kit in both a 1/9 and a 1/7 and haven't seen any major issues other than the dirtiness ( which is the ammo's fault, not the kit's) and the occasional stovepipe (which may be my fault seeing I'm lefty and tend to keep my right thumb near the ejection port).

Build your own dedicated. CMMG, Nordic, and Model 1 all have bolt and barrel kits (I'm sure other exist as well.) Personally I like the CMMG kits the best, very well made.

I much prefer the dedicated upper, but my choiuce is the CMMG unit. The CMMG upper is based on the Ciener conversion which is extremely popular and has been around for a long time, i.e. it is likely that parts will be available for a long time. Several uppers have come and gone over the last ten years, leaving their owners without a source for replacement parts.

Thaks to all

Just plinking on the cheap is te goal, but like the AR-Style.

Went and looked at

GSG 552

Mossberg 715

Thoughts

Don't waste your time with a mossberg. For the most part the I think the conversion kits are a waste.
I have the tactical solutions 22lr upper taclite model. It works flawless and as accurate as I can be. Nice unit. Takes blackdog ciener style mags. Down side it does not have a actual ejector so clearing a live round takes practice. I got to use a spikes and would say its the same thingi
Colts 22lr is made by umurex. Take that for what ever it may mean to you.
for under 400 CMMG OFFERS 2complete uppers a flat top carbine and a A2 20" flat top with traditional front sight.
Or you can go completely nuts and get a compass lake engineering 22lr national match upper.
I'm considering a build if compatable. Cmmg bolt and tactical solutions barrel. Freefloat tube. A2 rifle length and sights. Good nra service rifle practice. Only thing that kept me from buying s&w 15-22 is it does not take ceiner/black dog mags

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom