• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ar slings, what do you use?

Mamba sling. Used it during deployments. Better than a single point as the rifle does not hang off your body. Best sling out there in my opinion

OK, anyone have a primer on 1, 2, 3 point slings, with ups and downs of each? I am guessing GI is 2 point.

What about "quick detach" ones? Are they worth the extra $, and if so, why? This would just be for range use, and eventually coyote hunting, maybe 3-gun competition.

Oh, and what does everyone use to attach their slings? I am fairly sure my stock has a thing on the back end, but not really sure on the front. You can't just tie it on, can you?

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic of sling

Say I want to run a 2 point sling on a magpul moe hand guard carbine length. Should I mount the sling mount up by the gas block or by the receiver toward the back of the hand guard?

Since we're on the topic of sling

Say I want to run a 2 point sling on a magpul moe hand guard carbine length. Should I mount the sling mount up by the gas block or by the receiver toward the back of the hand guard?

I used this tutorial on M4C when I did mine, Review: IWC QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT as installed into a MOE - M4Carbine.net Forums , it is a cheap easy project. However, if you are cheap and lazy like I tend to be, and don't use one of those funky drill bits, I used a regular metal bit, it will chip your MOE's around the hole you drill. I am not to upset with it, as it isn't really noticeable, but if you are a perfectionist, you will want to invest the money in the right tools.

I am happy enough with the way it came out, and like the way the sling works in that position.

a8ume6yd.jpg

Made it today . I'm cheap.....

I have been making these. They are made with heavy duty bungee, so they have a little bit of give to them, but not too much. Video on how to make them in post# 25 this thread.

SLING5).jpg

Last edited:
2 points all the way. Ares Husky Sling, BFG VCAS, Troy. Magpul if you want to do the convertible thing.

If you insist on a one point banging into your knees, then an SKD PIG Drop Slider.

Spend the money on quality QD mounts. Daniel Defense, Troy or the like. Don't want your attach points coming out when you dont want them to.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I am interested in this thread. The MS3 strikes me as something I would like.

Over the past 10+ years I have bought several hundred items on eBay (not much gun stuff), and had very few problems (items as little as $1 to up to $2,000).

There are lots of MS3 slings $30-50. $50 doesn't guarantee it is genuine. $30 doesn't guarantee it is a knock-off.

Incase I pick the wrong sling, has anyone here had experience with the knock-offs?

I'm not going to war; just looking for a sling for plinking, target practice, etc. Currently don't have any sling and want something. I like the idea I can use it both single (if I add the proper attachment where the buffer tube attaches to the lower), and as two point (probably my usual configuration).

Slings without quick releases are not for me. The MS3 with the standard clips that attach to a Stag rifle's factory sling "loops" is fine for me.

I also don't want to end up with multiple slings.... just one that is reasonably suitable.

TIA.

Last edited:
I am interested in this thread. The MS3 strikes me as something I would like.

Over the past 10+ years I have bought several hundred items on eBay (not much gun stuff), and had very few problems (items as little as $1 to up to $2,000).

There are lots of MS3 slings $30-50. $50 doesn't guarantee it is genuine. $30 doesn't guarantee it is a knock-off.

Incase I pick the wrong sling, has anyone here had experience with the knock-offs?

I'm not going to war; just looking for a sling for plinking, target practice, etc. Currently don't have any sling and want something. I like the idea I can use it both single (if I add the proper attachment where the buffer tube attaches to the lower), and as two point (probably my usual configuration).

Slings without quick releases are not for me. The MS3 with the standard clips that attach to a Stag rifle's factory sling "loops" is fine for me.

I also don't want to end up with multiple slings.... just one that is reasonably suitable.

TIA.
I believe my brown MS3 was about $45 plus tax from a local gun store, and I don't need to worry that it could be a knockoff. Personally, I'd just suck it up and pay the very slight premium to buy it from a reputable retailer, online or in-store.

I believe my brown MS3 was about $45 plus tax from a local gun store, and I don't need to worry that it could be a knockoff. Personally, I'd just suck it up and pay the very slight premium to buy it from a reputable retailer, online or in-store.

Based on the Youtube video earlier in this thread I wonder how many knock-offs are unknowingly (or knowingly) sold by "reputable retailers". I checked Magpul's website, but they don't sell directly. I don't mind paying $45 or $50 for the real thing, but I don't want pay that much for a knock-off that I can get for $20 or $30.

I guess I need to just try it, but do any of these tactical slings lend themselves to serve as shooting aids in a pinch? Think hasty-hasty/hasty for you Appleseeders out there.

Vickers Cobra for my go-to "zombie" gun, Ron Brown leather for my service rifle competition guns, standard GI slings for the SHTF rifles that I have hidden away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom