• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR single stage trigger recommendations?

For carbines where I don't want a 2 stage I thought I would be picking up MBT-1S's to finish off some builds and upgrade a few others, unfortunately they have been out of stock for awhile and I haven't had any luck getting a response from LaRue as far as when they may become available again. Seems odd as in the past with their 2S triggers you could pre order and wait a month or two - this time no such option offered (and with the clock ticking on election buying I want to avoid) I am thinking I should see what else is available.

Maybe spring changes and my own polishing is an option or maybe an equivalent on the market. Basically I want a decent crisp 5 lb single stage trigger, prefer non drop in just a quality mil spec sort of thing for carbines that is say less than $100 (if cheaper then great).

Ideas? Thanks!

Funny whoever posted JP took it down, that kinda looks in the ballpark..

Geissele is great I'm sure but over the top for what I want, looking for more along the lines of a better service rifle trigger I need about 6 of versus super high end. ($100 or less, looking for about 5 lbs single stage).

Funny whoever posted JP took it down, that kinda looks in the ballpark..

Geissele is great I'm sure but over the top for what I want, looking for more along the lines of a better service rifle trigger I need about 6 of versus super high end.

Then PappyM3 is spot on with ALG. CMMG could be another option too.

ALG looks good, not available at the moment but can be backordered at least. Looks close to an MBT single stage cost wise too.

Yeah, big fan of the ALG ACT for a single stage “combat” trigger type application. I hear the QMS is the same except for the finish and it’s cheaper. But I can’t speak to it as I haven’t used it.

Ooh that's good stuff too and I can get those.

Gonna stay tuned here, but ALG looks like a good option. If no better ideas present may order one of each, see how I like them.

Im a bit stumped on why you dont just use milspec 6lb trigger ? You could always use the 15 minute AR trigger job on a milspec to smooth it out a little?
i think its going to be harder to find that 6lb trigger than a lighter pull? For $100 or less anyway

Im a bit stumped on why you dont just use milspec 6lb trigger ? You could always use the 15 minute AR trigger job on a milspec to smooth it out a little?
i think its going to be harder to find that 6lb trigger than a lighter pull? For $100 or less anyway

Beat me to it.

Really what I want is the equivalent of an mbt1s, which were 80 bucks, 5.5 lbs, good and reliable. Would hold out if I knew they were coming back in stock but been waiting long enough, can't get a response out of them on it, so looking for other options as I am short triggers (been buying lpk's minus the fcg for awhile)..

Actually the mbt2s are absolutely outstanding too and the same $$, but I don't like 2s in a carbine.

That was one question I had, whether it made sense to tune something existing, what springs to use etc. etc.. ?

Never done it that way, am aware people do, but I don't want to end up with something that becomes unreliable. Started looking at springs, certainly is a cheaper option just dont have the experience to know what works and what doesn't, what to polish if so, etc ?

When I was a FFL in CT, one year, I went to shot and got deals on roughly 10 different AR triggers with the expectation that I'd sell off the ones I didn't want to keep and still not lose money.

The two single stage triggers I kept were:
1) Timney AR10 trigger - this is the same as their AR15 trigger but it has a stronger hammer spring. So it gives more reliable ignition even in AR15s. Its very fast and pretty good for target work.
2) Geissele Super 3 gun. - this isn't really a single or double stage trigger. Imagine pressing a trigger moves to the rear smoothly for a bit, then the hammer drops without any kind of stop. It feels like you are simply resisting a spring while the trigger moves to the rear and then the gun goes off. Its strange at first but allows you to shoot very quickly with excellent practical accuracy.

If you are looking for a value in a 2 stage trigger, you can't beat the Rock River Arms. Their match trigger has a 2 stage pull of about 4.5 lbs. Their Varmint trigger has a pull of about 3.5 lbs.

The only difference between the two is the trigger return spring strength. Both use full power hammer springs.

They can be had for about $80.

The deal gets even better if you buy it as part of an "enhanced" lower parts kit from RRA.

With this kind of pricing on a trigger this good, there is no reason to ever have a mil spec type trigger on your rifle again.
At one point in time they offered a 2 stage trigger and ambi selector in a LPK. That was my go-to LPK.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a value in a 2 stage trigger, you can't beat the Rock River Arms. Their match trigger has a 2 stage pull of about 4.5 lbs. Their Varmint trigger has a pull of about 3.5 lbs.

The only difference between the two is the trigger return spring strength. Both use full power hammer springs.

They can be had for about $80.

The deal gets even better if you buy it as part of an "enhanced" lower parts kit from RRA.

With this kind of pricing on a trigger this good, there is no reason to ever have a mil spec type trigger on your rifle again.
At one point in time they offered a 2 stage trigger and ambi selector in a LPK. That was my go-to LPK.

Thanks for that. I really like the mbt2s, they don't leave anything to be desired for me, 3 lbs or something, $80 and $70 if you buy 3 at a time. Never an ftf with various mil spec and commercial ammo across 7.62 & 5.56. But thats for scoped rifles, not interested in 2s for carbines.

On the subject one thing I read in reviews for the DD AR10 variant was they had trouble w/ the Geissele trigger and common mil 7.62 ammo.

One neat feature of 7.62 I find though is even run of the mill ammo produces great results on paper. Almost is cheaper than 5.56 because I need to go to match ammo in 5.56 to accomplish the same. Could very well be my barrels but whatever the case I think even in a bench rifle you want to be able to fire mil ammo in 7.62.

I just bought this:

Yes, it's a full LPK. The trigger is remarkably good. Not Geisle good, but way better than you'd expect for $50, even without the parts kit.

I realize it’s not what you’re looking for but if you’re spending $100 or less, I say buy a Rise Armament 3.5lb drop in trigger. I bought one a few weeks ago from Brownells for $99 and change shipped.
Mine has been awesome , going on 5 years
Sold the Velocity and bought 2 Rise RA-140’s and a CMC

Really what I want is the equivalent of an mbt1s, which were 80 bucks, 5.5 lbs, good and reliable. Would hold out if I knew they were coming back in stock but been waiting long enough, can't get a response out of them on it, so looking for other options as I am short triggers (been buying lpk's minus the fcg for awhile)..

Actually the mbt2s are absolutely outstanding too and the same $$, but I don't like 2s in a carbine.

That was one question I had, whether it made sense to tune something existing, what springs to use etc. etc.. ?

Never done it that way, am aware people do, but I don't want to end up with something that becomes unreliable. Started looking at springs, certainly is a cheaper option just dont have the experience to know what works and what doesn't, what to polish if so, etc ?
Well you could just buy the HD tactical spring from larue and polish a good milspec.
LaRue Tactical HD Trigger Spring - LaRue Tactical
or maybe some of those fancy coated triggers ?

Never used these but they are in stock ?

Mine has been awesome , going on 5 years
Sold the Velocity and bought 2 Rise RA-140’s and a CMC

Use code RSA to get $10 off $100 orders.

Back
Top Bottom