• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Rifle Training Class Recommendations

Hey everyone,

I am looking for an introductory class on shooting an AR rifle. I am fairly new to the AR platform and want to learn how to shoot the gun beyond just plinking at the range. I did a few quick searches on the forum, but didn't see any posts on this topic.

Thanks
Chris

Consider an Appleseed event. Pretty good training for short money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just took the CMP clinic up at Nashua Fish and Game. It was awesome as well as an eye opener to my skills, or lack there of. It's geared towards high power, but was very educational.

Here's a link to CMP, keep an eye on the schedule for future events.

http://www.odcmp.com/

Hey everyone,

I am looking for an introductory class on shooting an AR rifle. I am fairly new to the AR platform and want to learn how to shoot the gun beyond just plinking at the range. I did a few quick searches on the forum, but didn't see any posts on this topic.

Thanks
Chris

http://www.goal.org/training/msr_intro.html

Intro to the Modern Sporting Rifle - AR15
This course will cover nomenclature, proper loading and unloading, zeroing, clearing common malfunctions and maintenance of the AR15 style rifle.

These guys offer some fantastic training, 100% free. Other than that I've always been happy with GOAL's training programs.

These guys offer some fantastic training, 100% free.

Some restrictions may apply.

Intro to the Modern Sporting Rifle - AR15
This course will cover nomenclature, proper loading and unloading, zeroing, clearing common malfunctions and maintenance of the AR15 style rifle.

Not a lot of live fire, I take it? I need to improve my shooting, but I'm fairly comfortable with the basics of the platform.

breyton490 said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Chris

What sort of shooting do you want to do? Run and gun tacti-kool type stuff? precision target? Something else?

Some restrictions may apply.

Not a lot of live fire, I take it? I need to improve my shooting, but I'm fairly comfortable with the basics of the platform.

looks like the GOAL class is only 40rds, so it seems like it is a "learn to operate & get your AR15 up and running" type course.

There are some basic carbine courses at Sig Academy if you want to learn the more tactical aspects of the platform.

looks like the GOAL class is only 40rds, so it seems like it is a "learn to operate & get your AR15 up and running" type course.

There are some basic carbine courses at Sig Academy if you want to learn the more tactical aspects of the platform.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that (and S&W, I suppose).

Post wedding I'm looking at the same Sig course. Just check the ammo requirements as that adds a lot to the price.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

If you can get a Frontsite membership cheap, (they routinely sell for $250-500 on ebay) and can afford the travel to Vegas, you'll do well in their 4-day practical rifle.

While they don't focus exclusively on the AR, you'll get army and USMC vets with a lot of sandbox experience who can teach you more about the AR platform than you want to know, plus basic, practical rifle techniques, from positions, to zeroing, to using a sling to shooting both tactical (less than 100 yards) and out to 400 yards.

I took the two-day course as a "what the Hell" kind of thing since I was already down there and was pretty impressed. No BS, just the nitty gritty. If you want precision rifle, I'll assume you have a longer barrel AR and are ready for say, the Barret course. For anything you're actually likely to use in any conceivable defensive situation, you'd be hard pressed to beat the front-site content for the money. -Hint, bring optics if you have them (I used iron sights) and pay attention when they suggest knee and elbow pads.

Back
Top Bottom