• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR RED DOTS

I know there are tons of these threads, but as of August 2017, what would you recommend?

For budget/beater I was thinking Primary Arms/Vortex Sparc II/Holosun

For some extra cash I was considering Aimpoint H series or EOTECH 553

Any suggestions?

I have an ATIBAL micro red dot on one of my ARs. I have no complaints with it whatsoever. Very inexpensive and holds its zero. I have also attached a stress test YouTube video which is what got me interested in this one in the first place after someone recommend it to me. It's funny that you made this thread today, I was debating on whether or not I should purchase a second one to throw on my sub-2000. Now that I am recommending it, I think I'll go order my second one right now.

https://www.atibalsights.com/collec.../at-mcrd-ii-micro-red-dot?variant=16520913665

https://youtu.be/xue6L61OF-k

There's that $75 dollar rebate from eotech if it sways your decision. Don't know why you chose the 553 though since it's discontinued. I'd go with the aimpoint out of those choices if you don't plan on replacing it with something else later on.

If its for serious home defense use then get an aimpoint period. If its for general blasting at the range then primary arms will be ok, although I've had one of their sights die on me (although it was on my 12ga shotty).

I like my bushnell trs25. It's my go to, hundreds of rounds on it and still zeroed. It's way more accurate than I am. Bought it for like 80$ with mount based on recommendations I got here in a similar thread.

ps, used it for 70 rounds this afternoon!

I've only got one AR set up with a red dot and it's an Eotech 512.a65. It does the job but I'm not as proficient with it as I'd like to be. Most of it is the result of switching my front sight from a Troy HK flip up to a Daniel Defense fixed sight. The DD is maybe 3/4" taller than I'd like.

On a budget; Vortex Sparc, Vortex Strikefire or Sig Romeo 5. On a "fighting" rifle: Aimpoint T1/T2 with appropriate mount or PRO.

ETA: Just make sure whatever you go with is from a reputable source. I remember seeing on Amazon, a 3rd party vendor was selling Trijicon ACOGs at market value. Turned out to be high end replicas, all the way down to the cases!

Last edited:
I've been using the Burris Speeddot 135 on several of my long guns.
It is the only affordable ( $200 street) sight that has a clearly defined , round dot and is reliable in cold weather.

Jack

My go to rifle has an Aimpoint Pro. Bought it a couple years ago after dumping my Eotech 512 (all my batteries corroded and ate the circuitry... went for fixin twice). Very pleased with unit. I plan on getting a Vortex Sparc for an AR9 soon.

I have two QD primary arms red dots that I use a lot I'm taking them on and off and for at least five years Have always held zero .

+1 for Primary Arms. Good optics for a very reasonable price. I've had two of their micro RDS for 5+ years with no issues at all. Solid lockup, holds zero, original battery, etc...I also have a 4x14x44 DMR scope on my SPR and its awesome. Primary Arms is G2G if you don't want to spend the money on the upper tier stuff

aimpoint pro is always my top choice but for lower price i really dig the primary arms red dots. the sparc is also nice. the trs-25 is good but i think now that other options are cheaper the trs-25 is no longer king of the cheap red dots. no question the reticle clarity is better on the primary arms over the trs-25. this last week i got to play around with the sig red dot and it also looks nice.

for my $$ battery life is a major factor because it allows one to leave the red dot on indefinitely. one of the primary arms red dots has a great battery life and ends up costing ~$60 over their cheapest RDS. for HD purposes well worth it.

i have one Eotec 516 (or some model # like that) and i'm not impressed. it's the first and last eotech i will purchase.

For a budget you can't beat the Primary Arms. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the Sig Romeo and the Holosun...

I will say I've had more difficult choosing which riser to get; lower 1/3rd or absolute.

That Primary Arms one with the 3x or 6x magnifier is interesting. I need another sight like a hole in the head. LOL

Had a primary arms red dot for a while. Great for short range quick target aquisition. Fun for a few months. Long range forget it, took it off and went back to a scope.

You could also consider a low power variable scope like a 1-4x or 1-6x. It gives you a little more ability to reach out if needed. But, if not needed I would say the Aimpoint PRO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Vortex Strikefire and zero complaints.
The first one had a minor issue and they said sent it back.
Less than a week later a brand new gen 2 showed up free.
Can't beat that kind of CS.

I like my bushnell trs25. It's my go to, hundreds of rounds on it and still zeroed. It's way more accurate than I am. Bought it for like 80$ with mount based on recommendations I got here in a similar thread.

ps, used it for 70 rounds this afternoon!
Same here. I'm a big fan of the TRS25. I have no problem hitting steel at 260 yds and when I miss it's usually due to dummy behind the AR Like you, my Bushnell has maintained its zero through many hundreds of rounds as well...I don't feel the need to switch it out

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

For life and death save the money for a Aimpoint or other highend optic. For the range or if your limited on cash and need it to do both I would say Primary arms/ Vortex are both good ways to go. I have Aimpoint dots and ACOG but I also have some primary arms not every rifles needs 300+ optic.

Had a primary arms red dot for a while. Great for short range quick target aquisition. Fun for a few months. Long range forget it, took it off and went back to a scope.
How far out are you shooting? at 100 yards hitting 12-15 inch plates is super easy, even hit the 4 inch wide steel Piano keys hanging. Over 100 scope it is

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom