• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR receiver recommendations

je25ff

NES Member
I feel like the AR platform has just been beaten to death by magazines, advertising, and every guy with a dam gun license thinking he's an operator. I just really want a solid, no BS receiver that I can do my first AR build around. I already have an A3 that I want to keep as is without getting rid of the upper.

Get IN on the group buy that is hopefully going to go down.

Yeah I saw that feeler. I would definitely be in for it. It's really just a piece of aluminum right? There can't be anything entirely special that is required.

Yeah I saw that feeler. I would definitely be in for it. It's really just a piece of aluminum right? There can't be anything entirely special that is required.

I have a decent cross-section in my safe and the main difference I've seen is the quality of the finish. The higher end ones will usually have the flashing cleaned up a bit better and may have a more consistent anodizing job. All the holes and the important crap get done in a CNC machine, so as long as the program is right and the operator isn't drunk they should all work.

Yeah, from the research I have been doing, (because this is my 1st AR build) most people say, a lower is a lower. The important stuff is what you put on top of it.

Ok cool. Seems as if the consensus is that the receiver is no biggie. Just had a hard time wrapping my head around that idea.

I went with the axts A-dac-f from rainier arms. Nothing really special, for about 50 bucks more than a "standard" lower the finish is excellent, the mag well has a slightly wider bevel, you can lock.the bolt back by depressing the mag catch all the way, and there is a tensioning screw to remove any upper/lower play, which there was none of.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Isn't there really only a few that are different . Ie just the shape of the mag well and the ones with different art work machined in to the like the zombie ones....

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Standard mil-spec lowers are generally all the same, with different marks for the manufacturers and different Fire/Safe etc markings. There are also fancier billet receivers that are a bit more wild (Seekins, for example) or just more edgy/nice looking (Mega, etc.). You are fine with pretty much any Mil-spec receiver that fits your budget and style.

Isn't there really only a few that are different . Ie just the shape of the mag well and the ones with different art work machined in to the like the zombie ones....

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Some of the new-gen receivers feature flared magwells, ambi controls, upper-tensioning screws, and adjustable triggers. I wouldn't say 'a lower is a lower' anymore.

Some, or all of those featuers may not be of interest to you.

Some of the [STRIKE=new-gen]new-gen[/STRIKE] non-spec receivers feature.....

FIFY. Who wants to go looking for odd-ball parts to build or fix your rifle?

By the way, I have regular old lowers with all of the "features" that you mentioned. (Except the flared mag well, because that's just fruity.)

A lower is not simply "a lower". There is some real crap out there. I have two DPMS lowers that are serviceable but I prefer the Stag lower I bought from Remsport. A forged part with excellent fit and finish.

A lower is not simply "a lower". There is some real crap out there. I have two DPMS lowers that are serviceable but I prefer the Stag lower I bought from Remsport. A forged part with excellent fit and finish.

I have to agree with this. In my experience I have seen more out of spec/problem lowers when they cost under $75.

Dave

As long as you avoid the el-cheapo-extraordinaire receivers (under ~$75 as mentioned), you should be good to go. They aren't had to get right, but they aren't hard to screw up either.

While we're sort of on the subject, what are the differences if any between LPKs?

Besides the triggers, not much. There are VAST differences in the triggers though, and upgrading there is money well spent. I'm a huge Geissele fanboi. (I'm literally wearing one of their t-shirts as I type this.)

http://geissele.com

While we're sort of on the subject, what are the differences if any between LPKs?

For standard LPK's (ie no fancy triggers or anything), none. Get one from a company that has good QC (Daniel Defense, Spikes, LMT, BCM, etc), though. Out-of-spec lower parts will ruin your day.

I want to build an AR15, one of my friends is adamant i get a preban reciever. So i can put whatever i want on it? is this true?

You still can't put any of the REALLY good stuff on it. Sure, you can have a flash hider, a bayonet lug, and a collapsable stock. (Big deal.) You'll pay about $500 or $600 more than the receiver is actually worth for the privilege. Not worth it in my opinion, but to each his own.

You still can't put any of the REALLY good stuff on it. Sure, you can have a flash hider, a bayonet lug, and a collapsable stock. (Big deal.) You'll pay about $500 or $600 more than the receiver is actually worth for the privilege. Not worth it in my opinion, but to each his own.

What's the REALLY good stuff? I'm a noob. Still learning

Back
Top Bottom