AR Question

So I pulled my AR out of storage. I shot it 4-5 times years ago and just put it away. It's been sitting for a few years. I pulled the charging handle and this little piece fell out of the mag well:
image0.jpeg
any idea what this is?

Looks like the dohicky that holds the bolt back.

edit: yeah, the buffer. Look around, there's a itty bitty spring somewhere. I'm guessing the buffer tube isn't screwed all the way in. If you're 'really' lucky, the spring is in the hole near the back of the lower on the inside.

You don't really need it. It's just there so that little nipple can break off and get stuck in your trigger group. Removing it's just going to make closing the rifle slightly harder. (You can fix this with a captured spring)

I see no spring anywhere. I'm going to probably take the whole thing apart tomorrow and give it a thorough cleaning while I'm at it. I'll look for a good YouTube video for a step by step. Like weekendracer mentioned...hopefully I'm lucky and the spring in its hole.

yep.. had this piece go flying when we removed the buffer tube after an errant build step.

having just put a lower together, I think the only way this would come out is if your buffer tube isn't screwed in all the way. Someone more knowledgeable would confirm.

Just watched a quick youtube video...I see exactly what it is now. Thakns for the info guys.
The only way for it to fly out is for buffer tube to rotate. It can only rotate if castle nut gets loose - with a carbine tube.
If you unscrew a rifle length tube - it can also happen, of course.

Nice find…
I’m sure you’re gonna do it, replace everything. I wouldn’t bother staking your castle nut.

Usually those parts find their way into your buffer tube.

I’m not sure how much use you have on your rifle but I recommend you change your fire control group pins every now and then. When they fail it creates really unsafe situation.

The buffer tube was likely not screwed in all of the way, and may have rotated slightly if it wasn't staked or held in firmly by some other means. I believe it would have taken an obvious bit of rotation in order for it to come out if the tube was screwed in all of the way to begin with. My favorite way to prevent all of this is to use a buffer tube that has a notch cut out for the retainer. That prevents rotation and ensures that the buffer is screwed in all of the way. No staking necessary.

My favorite way to prevent all of this is to use a buffer tube that has a notch cut out for the retainer. That prevents rotation and ensures that the buffer is screwed in all of the way. No staking necessary.
I didn't realize there were ones that didn't have that notch. I'm sitting here wondering how the hell the buffer tube rotated while that piece was in the notch.

I'm all ears on this one, please educate me.
Damaged pins or loose fitting one can cause you rifle to discharge random.. Sometimes without even touching it. Also even a slight bump will set it off… If that isn’t bad enough they have a tendency to spit out bursts.
Broken pins can obviously lead to safe issues… But even a pin that walks it’s way out of a hole.can do some interesting things…

Just as an example 9 mm uppers are extremely hard on the lower. It’s pretty common if it’s not set up properly for it to break the pins.
It’s also possible to buy substandard parts or just get a defective one Theyll break in any setup up…

I’ve seen it happen a few times with my own set ups. I’ve also seen other people experience this. That’s why you always make sure your rifle clear before before you go down range. And obviously no one should be handling weapons when you’re down range

Last edited:
Guessing that tube wasn't turned in far enough, that the buffer retaininer wasn't truly captured.
possible, but a rather difficult thing to do. usually it sits in a very distinctive position covering half of that retainer. odd.
i think the buffer tube got unscrewed, somehow - on purpose, or got loose.

I didn't realize there were ones that didn't have that notch. I'm sitting here wondering how the hell the buffer tube rotated while that piece was in the notch.
Most buffer tubes do not come with the notch. I don't believe the OP had one with the notch. I'm not sure if we are referring to the same thing. The one below is what I am referring to:buffertubenotch.jpg

Damaged pins or loose fitting one can cause you rifle to discharge random.. Sometimes without even touching it. Also even a slight bump will set it off… If that isn’t bad enough already have a tendency to spit out bursts.
Broken pins can obviously lead to safe issues… But even pin that walks it’s way out of a hole.can do some interesting things…

Just as an example 9 mm uppers are extremely hard on the lower. It’s pretty common if it’s not set up properly for it to break the pins.
It’s also possible to buy substandard parts or just get a defective one Theyll break in any setup he set up…

Not she didn’t happen a few times with my own set ups. I’ve also seen other people experience this. That’s why you always make sure your rifle clear before before you go down range. And obviously no one should be handling weapons when you’re down range
Just my .02

If people are having issues with the FCG pins they are using shit products from shit suppliers with components that are not spec or the FCG isn't installed properly.

Loose fitting = not in spec. Damaged = was damaged because its not in spec or not installed properly.

I've shot more 5.56 ammo than probably 99.9% of the people on this forum, I've never seen an issue with those pins in any of my rifles or rifles of the hundreds of Marines and Soldiers I've shot with.

possible, but a rather difficult thing to do. usually it sits in a very distinctive position covering half of that retainer. odd.
i think the buffer tube got unscrewed, somehow - on purpose, or got loose.

So, all we know is that the buffer tube wasn't in the correct position. Either not installed correctly, or backed out.

I do know I took it as a learning moment. Checked my ARs. The factory ones are staked. I staked the ones I assembled after reading this thread.

Back
Top Bottom