• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Project-Ready to go to step 2

It has been an exciting day so far. I hit my 3000th post, got my first "Friend Request", and just got a call that an offer of $575 was made on my Tec-9MS, which will leave me $525 (dealer's keeping $50) to advance my AR-build project.

I am not an AR person. If you knew how I agonized over an AK purchase, you'd pity me. In retrospect, decoding the AK is a walk in the park compared to the range of options that the AR presents.

I have a Stag stripped lower, purchased from John at JDL earlier this month, and that's it.

I've viewed the Brownell's videos, read extensively at a variety of web sites, and perused The Gun Bible. I've done various AR builds at the interective Brownell's site (everything I might want is Out Of Stock, apparently) and most importantly I've pondered the question, "What do I want from this rifle?"

I've also looked at every AR build shown here at NES until my eyeballs hurt.

I'm not planning to shoot in competition, nor do I need to get heavily into tactical accoutrements (at this time). Neither do I want to restrict my capabilities to plinking.

I think what I want to end up with is a lightweight carbine ... something M-4ish maybe? I want a bug-out, SHTF, EOTWAWKI, battle capable firearm that's pretty to look at and fun to shoot.

I've read up on barrel twist and will cross that bridge when I come to it. In terms of LPK, I don't think I need anything out of the ordinary, in the trigger group or other internals.

Soooo ... what should I buy next with my $525, assuming the deal on the Tec-9 went through?

I would build up the lower with the fixed stock of your choice, then borrow a friends lower for a weekend, fire some round and fill out a FA-10 so the State recognizes it as a complete firearm. This should cost less than $200-$250 depending on the stock.

Then spend many agonizing hours on the type of upper you want to purchase, either parts to assemble or a completed upper.

Well, well... I opened some mail and I find that I have $488 in a MA state retirement fund from a summer job with DCR, which I can withdraw without penalty. That, together with the $525 from the sale of the Tec-9 gives me ... uhhh, uh ... almost a thousand bucks.

So. I can do the rational thing and pay down the debt for the $1800 well pump replacement. Or, I can buy a bunch of AR parts. Or, I can sell the Schmidt Model 1882 Ordnance Revolver (which needs some restoration work) and just go buy a complete AR and save my lower for a rainy day.

What to do, what to do?

I am kind of in the same boat. I have my two lowers but have not made the next move. I think I want to go with a dedicated .22lr upper to have a low-cost plinker and practise rifle but I'm not sure where to get the upper yet.

If you are going to the Western MASS get-together on Feb 28 in West Springfield we can swap ideas.

Considering the wait time for AR parts, I would track down or get on the backorder list for a lower parts kit and stock/buffer tube.

For a basic lightweight upper with flexibility to change things down the road, I'd say buy or build a flattop, fixed front sight, 16" light profile barrel with no brake. I'd put a mid-length gas system on it, but carbine length would work, too. It will work with either iron or optics in the back, and the front sight base won't be trapped on the barrel by a brake. If you don't buy an upper that includes one, buy a good bolt carrier group, as well.

Willingness to wait for parts is going to be the tough part. I'm in the middle of a build where I just realized that I forgot to order a gas tube and charging handle. When I ordered the last batch of parts, they were in stock....now, not so much.

The Knox Trail Inn - I haven't been by there in a long time. I worked for a couple years at the Grouse House up at Otis Ridge - 15? 16? years ago.

Back
Top Bottom