AR pistol with fixed Mag? (In mass )

Good questions. Brownell’s had a sale on their toolcraft lightweight bcg’s so I went with the TiN finish for the reduced weight and felt recoil. Only negative was some said the extractor gasket needed to be replaced to properly eject brass? Finish was scratching too. We’ll see. That’s a way to test Brownell’s warranty.

I went with the 7.5” because I wanted as small a package as possible. I haven’t read much of anything negative regarding the Ghost uppers and the ceracote options were nice. Price was nice too. I considered the flashcan version but I already have a Troy Claymore muzzle brake to use which diverts all flash forward. Saw some in action and loved it.

You may need to mess with your buffer weights to get that lightweight carrier to run properly if you don't have an adjustable gas block. I've been running two standard Brownells carriers and haven't had any problems with them with pistol or carbine length gas systems. They run dry or wet, but you'll probably want to make sure you run yours wet if you're worried about scratching off the finish.

You may need to mess with your buffer weights to get that lightweight carrier to run properly if you don't have an adjustable gas block. I've been running two standard Brownells carriers and haven't had any problems with them with pistol or carbine length gas systems. They run dry or wet, but you'll probably want to make sure you run yours wet if you're worried about scratching off the finish.
Good input. I have a DPMS carbine length buffer tube in the mail. This of course is for the carbine length tube that the SBA3 brace comes with. I’ll call Ghost with some of these questions when I get it built. By wet you mean heavily oiled?

Good input. I have a DPMS carbine length buffer tube in the mail. This of course is for the carbine length tube that the SBA3 brace comes with. I’ll call Ghost with some of these questions when I get it built. By wet you mean heavily oiled?

Yeah, oil it up. It will reduce friction and help prevent the coating scratching off if you're worried about it.

I've seen that before. Not a fan, personally, but I'll happily build one if it will piss someone off. I'm all for pissing off moonbats whenever possible.

...another good magazine option....

CompMag: Fast-Loading Fixed Magazine | RECOIL

compmag-768x512.jpg

View attachment 272420

Well I took it to the range and the cases were jammed on every shot. Tried one in the mag and the case dribbled out of the ejection port on my foot. Wut? Bolt held back easily on these one shot loads. Can you see the problem? C’mon Brownells what gives on the QC fail?

Pfft, who needs an ejector? Real operators grab each case out by hand and throw them at their enemies for extra damage.

View attachment 272420

Well I took it to the range and the cases were jammed on every shot. Tried one in the mag and the case dribbled out of the ejection port on my foot. Wut? Bolt held back easily on these one shot loads. Can you see the problem? C’mon Brownells what gives on the QC fail?

Ya.. that's doesn't look good. Did you remove the Ejector pin and spring?

Eh, Brownells QC sometimes sucks. I ordered an upper from them once and when it arrived, the f***ing handguard was clearly not timed right. I mean, you could visually see it was crooked. And some a**h*** even signed and initialed the QC slip in the box. While annoying, this didn't stop me since I was planning on putting on a BCM handguard I like better anyhow, but Jesus Christ, look at the f***ing thing before you pack it up!

That said, I've been running a couple of their milspec BCGs and have had no problems with them. And the upper I ordered runs fairly well with the middlin decent barrel that came with it. My latest complaint that involves Brownells is that USPS lost the f***ing package that contained my HK416 bolt, but I blame the post office there.

Reviving the thread - I was wondering if the preference to run a plastic mag over metal is purely aesthetic, or if there is further reason. The plastic mags to look better IMO than the metal 10 rounders. Maybe the base plate comes off easier in the event of a jam and having to empty the mag? I haven't seen any fixed mag lowers which utilize a metal 10 rounder.

Reviving the thread - I was wondering if the preference to run a plastic mag over metal is purely aesthetic, or if there is further reason. The plastic mags to look better IMO than the metal 10 rounders. Maybe the base plate comes off easier in the event of a jam and having to empty the mag? I haven't seen any fixed mag lowers which utilize a metal 10 rounder.

I feel the "feed lip spread" during top fed MA Loader use will be more forgiving as oppose to a metal mag with less give. I see no issue with the M3 PMAG (anti tip follower) my JC Arms receiver comes with. When I had my SKS, I was still able to top feed a plastic Tapco mag via stripper clips, couldn't do it with a detatchable metal mag other than the factory fixed. My 2 pennies!

Last edited:
what I had read is if the mag is damaged (feed lips) It is easier to replace the plastic mag. that seems to be the main reason I had seen. where we are going with pinned mags along with mag locks for most I am not sure it matters.

So would you consider the MA Lock not enough? You’re talking the lock in addition to a roll pin fixing the magazine to the lower? Or a pin through the mag catch into the lower?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to see what the consensus is.

what I had read is if the mag is damaged (feed lips) It is easier to replace the plastic mag. that seems to be the main reason I had seen. where we are going with pinned mags along with mag locks for most I am not sure it matters.

So would you consider the MA Lock not enough? You’re talking the lock in addition to a roll pin fixing the magazine to the lower? Or a pin through the mag catch into the lower?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to see what the consensus is.
We’re going as far as the Healy edict goes I guess. Will wait to see what the case unfolds to. Being that a case already was brought to court regarding the fixed mag lower and won on behalf of the defendant, there is nothing stopping it from happening again as long as that ruling is not adhered to.

I believe Wildweasel is talking about a set screw into the the mag release to keep it from functioning and any mag over 10 rounds that was pinned to accept only 10 rounds. Probably most remove the set screws from fixed lowers and get on with their day. The standard capacity mags that have been pinned to 10 rounds I have not seen actually. Is this “MA lock” something new? I’ve never heard of it.

Others leave them fixed and deal with the top loaders. Continue at your own risk in either case.

I am using the MA lock but with the case of the cops prying the fixed mag out I am going to blind pin the mag in one spot also. They will have to destroy the mag to get it out and damage the receiver also. I have plenty of regular AR's this is just to have the ar pistol.

I am using the MA lock but with the case of the cops prying the fixed mag out I am going to blind pin the mag in one spot also. They will have to destroy the mag to get it out and damage the receiver also. I have plenty of regular AR's this is just to have the ar pistol.

Ok, great. That’s the detail I was looking for some clarification on.

Going with a metal mag and with the MA Lock, any tinkering to remove the mag would result in fairly extensive damage to either the mag or receiver. Should be ok without having to pin the mag to the lower.

I’m talking on the basis of the fixed mag AR pistol as well.

If you notice in the pic, the lock on my JC Arms lower will have to be drilled out to convert back to detachable as there are no hex screws, etc. It can't easily be converted to a detachable mag with basic hand tools. I know the Dark Storm lowers don't even have the holes for the mag release components machined in the lower.

Caliber and barrel length? Buffer?

Going with a metal mag and with the MA Lock, any tinkering to remove the mag would result in fairly extensive damage to either the mag or receiver. Should be ok without having to pin the mag to the lower.

The magpul pmag m3 10rd has the advantage that it sticks below the mag well and the base plate can be removed with no tools. This is what you want/need to clear issues where your normal action would be to drop the mag (which you cant do). I used to build with metal flush which made removal of the base plate difficult. Even regular metal that have room below the mag well are not easy/trivial to remove without tools when under load. The magpul pmag is trivial to remove.

The magpul pmag m3 10rd has the advantage that it sticks below the mag well and the base plate can be removed with no tools. This is what you want/need to clear issues where your normal action would be to drop the mag (which you cant do). I used to build with metal flush which made removal of the base plate difficult. Even regular metal that have room below the mag well are not easy/trivial to remove without tools when under load. The magpul pmag is trivial to remove.

Interesting point.

Try top loading it first with an MA Loader, see out well it works

Back
Top Bottom