AR pistol with fixed Mag? (In mass )

So if I read and comprehend the AWB right if I get one of the lowers with the fixed ten round mags,
(PaperCity or Eddie Coyle type receiver) I am good to go with a normal AR pistol build right? No worries about the 50 oz rule or flash hider for that matter. (Of course it has to be a virgin lower not ever assembled into a rifle yada yada. )

Just something I was pondering. (not sure I will do it here in mass as I would rather wait until I move to NH. )

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are talking about using an upper less than 16 inches and using a brace in lieu of a stock?

I'd make sure you make your own lower, or use a virgin lower, and not use one that was ever configured to accept detachable magazines.

Paper city firearms in holyoke has lowers for sale (no buffer tube or stock) that should fit the bill, Fixed ten round mag. Or I have some 0% sitting in a drawer.

Good workaround, but seems to be too many concessions with it. Probably prudent to print out the MGL/AWB and keep it near the pistol in case you get into trouble and get questioned on it. Even then, it would probably be a stretch for most to understand why you don't need a stamp for it.

IANAL but my lawyer suggested not affixing pre ban large-capicity feeding devices, so I've gone 10rd on my pistols and rifles.
Correct. While the magazine might be pre-ban, when it is "permanently" affixed to the lower and a complete rifle/pistol is made, you have now manufactured a NEW high capacity rifle/pistol with a high capacity feeding device. That would be illegal unless you are exempt (dealer or LEO).

The most common question I get about the fixed magazine AR-Style rifles I build and sell is whether I would affix a pre-ban. NO, for the reason above.

Since Im going to be doing the same using a fixed-mag lower can someone shed some light on how these would be EFA-10'd once they are able to fire a projectile. If you'd like to PM me instead of discussing it openly I am fine with that too.

Since Im going to be doing the same using a fixed-mag lower can someone shed some light on how these would be EFA-10'd once they are able to fire a projectile. If you'd like to PM me instead of discussing it openly I am fine with that too.
If the barrel is under 16” then you register it as a pistol. It’s a pistol. It’s not an AW since the magazine is fixed. Seems to be the point of the exercise...

Are bullet buttons no longer a form of a “fixed magazine”

Bullet buttons were only ever a thing in California, where they were ruled that the magazine was fixed because they required a tool to remove it. A new law was passed in CA to remove that "loophole", so bullet buttons aren't a thing in CA any more.

As far as I am aware, no regulation or court ruling has established whether a bullet button-equipped AR would be considered as having "the ability to accept a detachable magazine" in MA, and nobody wants to be the test case.

Mean arms has a MA Lock that locks the mag release. (no spring and no movement, the bolt head breaks off making it permanent) You could still remove it by machining,
I know one vendor in mass (the shop on the cape that is advertising them here (being fixed mag lowers) uses them.
I am leaning toward the MA Lock and a blind pin method. (less chance of getting in legal issues. ) You can get a stripped magpul mag out of the MAlock But not easily,
(you risk breaking the mag. )

MA Lock | Mean Arms

Back
Top Bottom