AR pistol with fixed Mag? (In mass )

I haven't use those exact brands, but I've used something similar to the KX5. Keep in mind that if you get it pinned and it's circumference is larger than the hand guard, you then no longer have access to remove the hand guard without removing the barrel or the pinned device.

That said, my version of the KX5 looks almost the same, but shorter in overall length. It's a blast cone. Doesn't do a whole lot other than send most of the noise and blast down range (which means nothing indoors). Mine is for compliance purposes. The Spikes one looks like it might actually do something. Not sure if the 5 prong attachment is kosher, as that's appears to be a flash hider, not a flash cone like the KX5. You'll still see a good amount of flash with the KX5.
Thank you. Since this is going on a fixed mag pistol, non of the AWB applies. The KX5 is not the same as something like a Kak flash cone. It actually has a chamber in it.

Thank you. Since this is going on a fixed mag pistol, non of the AWB applies. The KX5 is not the same as something like a Kak flash cone. It actually has a chamber in it.

Huh..I didn't know that, but apparently KX5 has some sort of (not-a-suppressor) baffle on the inside. Supposed to help produce back pressure for smaller barrel AR's. Leaned something new today. Disregard what I said then. The KAK stuff is just a hole in a cylinder as far as I can tell.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question. Looking for a muzzle device for a 7.5 5.56 fixed mag pistol. Anyone have any experience with the Noveske KX5 or the Spike's Tactical Barking Spider?
I use a Troy Claymore on my 7.5” 5.56 build. It’s such a soft shooter with little to no recoil.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question. Looking for a muzzle device for a 7.5 5.56 fixed mag pistol. Anyone have any experience with the Noveske KX5 or the Spike's Tactical Barking Spider?
I have a KX-5 on an 11.5" build(used to be on a 7.5" but dumped that upper), does a great job projecting the sound forward and suppressing flash.

Fixed mag got old quick. SBR'd it and picked up a 10.5" 5.56 upper since 300 Blackout availability has been nonexistent.

Have a no-name cone on the 7.5" 300. The 10.5" 5.56 has a standard A2 cage and really isn't that bad. I think my pinned 14.5 w/Ranier XTC comp is worse as far as blast felt by the shooter.

Fixed mag got old quick. SBR'd it and picked up a 10.5" 5.56 upper since 300 Blackout availability has been nonexistent.

Have a no-name cone on the 7.5" 300. The 10.5" 5.56 has a standard A2 cage and really isn't that bad. I think my pinned 14.5 w/Ranier XTC comp is worse as far as blast felt by the shooter.
I am thinking along the same lines. I already have a stripped lower that I could build up and submit the paperwork.

SBR is the way to go, but I have both. In MA there are some perks to a firearm being a pistol.

Quick question everyone, I bought a JCArms fixed Mag lower awhile ago and I want to turn it into a pistol and I just wanted to make sure that its determined a pistol when I register it on the Ma. transaction portal not at the time of sale.

Quick question everyone, I bought a JCArms fixed Mag lower awhile ago and I want to turn it into a pistol and I just wanted to make sure that its determined a pistol when I register it on the Ma. transaction portal not at the time of sale.
I wish I knew more about the laws since this seems to be confusing territory.

Yeah, once you afix the upper with the pistol format then you FA10 it as your new AR pistol. If you bought it private sale it’s a transfer and the FLRB has a record of it as a serialized lower receiver with all its nuances through that FA10 transfer option. If you bought if from an ffl it’s 4473’d and FA10’d as a serialized lower in the same manner, a receiver. When you build it up as you want to then you FA10 as a new build. It’s now a firearm.

Yeah, once you afix the upper with the pistol format then you FA10 it as your new AR pistol. If you bought it private sale it’s a transfer and the FLRB has a record of it as a serialized lower receiver with all its nuances through that FA10 transfer option. If you bought if from an ffl it’s 4473’d and FA10’d as a serialized lower in the same manner, a receiver. When you build it up as you want to then you FA10 as a new build. It’s now a firearm.
That’s how I thought it worked, Thanks for the helpful information

This thread has been very informative.

Thanks for sharing all your information and experience, though the states rules and laws do their best to keep things cloudy.

I’m really looking forward to attempting my first build.

Is there a particular website or catalog you experienced builders reference or order from, or is it like I’ve been doing - bouncing all over the web?

Is there a consensus “best product” or method after milling the lower to make it a fixed magazine 10 round MA compliant?

And any thoughts or experience or things to be aware of when choosing between Al, polymer, or carbon polymer lowers?

Sorry for the questions but when there’s a great resource of knowledge I like to utilize it.

I think YouTube made almost all gun videos illegal relating to that. You should go to Brownells for their videos and tutorials.

They demonetized instructional videos as it relates to guns, and tend to threaten the larger gun youtube guys from doing any technical "how to" videos, lest they get their entire channels demonetized too. There are, however, some out there who still have videos up because their channels are not focused on making money. It's straight up censorship.

This thread has been very informative.

Thanks for sharing all your information and experience, though the states rules and laws do their best to keep things cloudy.

I’m really looking forward to attempting my first build.

Is there a particular website or catalog you experienced builders reference or order from, or is it like I’ve been doing - bouncing all over the web?

Is there a consensus “best product” or method after milling the lower to make it a fixed magazine 10 round MA compliant?

And any thoughts or experience or things to be aware of when choosing between Al, polymer, or carbon polymer lowers?

Sorry for the questions but when there’s a great resource of knowledge I like to utilize it.
Build a regular ar15. Look at ar15.com
There is also a ton of instruction videos at midway USA dot com.

Just saw a 2 pack 80% with jig.

Might do pistol and rifle.
if it is your first build - get an aero m4e1 stripped lower, find somebody to transfer it for you and built from it. nothing wrong with 80% is you have skills and equipment to mill it - but for a very first build it may be challenging.

PS. probably worth to elaborate why - the only challenging operation with M4E1 is the roll pin install for which you will need this (or quick fingers) tool:

everything else is simple, no need to press in any pins, and overall it is a guaranteed quality. the upper will need M4 ramps - that needs to be matching.
they are in stock, at $97 or so, stripped ones.

Last edited:
I thought stripped were a no go in MA?

I don’t mind taking a winding path to get to the end goal, but I do want to keep it legal.

Don’t want to risk my employment for yet another option of home defense of which I’m plenty covered already.

I thought stripped were a no go in MA?

I don’t mind taking a winding path to get to the end goal, but I do want to keep it legal.

Don’t want to risk my employment for yet another option of home defense of which I’m plenty covered already.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/tpnes’-indigenous-peoples-day-lower-sale-all-prices-reduced.418645/

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/★-new-ar15-lower-receivers.396019/#post-7583400

How does the law apply to 80% lower pistol builds? I’m assuming if the 10 round mag is fixed it’s still g2g. Also this is a great option to hunt coyotes at night as long if the pistol is no larger than .38 caliber. I’d love to pop some yotes with .223 and a thermal scope.

How does the law apply to 80% lower pistol builds? I’m assuming if the 10 round mag is fixed it’s still g2g. Also this is a great option to hunt coyotes at night as long if the pistol is no larger than .38 caliber. I’d love to pop some yotes with .223 and a thermal scope.
You can have a pistol that's 223.

Correct. While the magazine might be pre-ban, when it is "permanently" affixed to the lower and a complete rifle/pistol is made, you have now manufactured a NEW high capacity rifle/pistol with a high capacity feeding device. That would be illegal unless you are exempt (dealer or LEO).

The most common question I get about the fixed magazine AR-Style rifles I build and sell is whether I would affix a pre-ban. NO, for the reason above.
We are legally able to own large capacity firearms though, so that’s kinda like saying if you buy a new pistol that comes with a 10 round magazine you can’t buy a 30 rounder for it and put it in because that would be manufacturing a new high cap firearm. Doesn’t really make sense

Back
Top Bottom