AR pistol with fixed Mag? (In mass )

DosesR1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MA loaders are fine. User error? Zero issues for me. YRMV...
1/4 of the time they wouldn’t all load and cause a jam since the bolt is realesed when the load is pulled out ... with the bt-10s I don’t have that issue since the it doesn’t push the bolt back when loading the rounds into the gun

DosesR1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I put a regular stock on the fixed mag lower if it registered as a pistol or does it have to be a brace ?

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even with a 16inch barrel?
That makes it a rifle.... Stock with a 16" barrel is fine if you originally 4473'd it as a pistol or other. If other, if you go to rifle configuration first, a rifle it must stay.

Any barrel shorter than 16" would make it an SBR if you put a stock on it. That requires a $200 tax stamp from the ATF. Waste of money on a fixed mag lower.

This is federal nonsense, not MA nonsense. Just make sure you hate the right .gov entity for it.

DosesR1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AR9 just about finished. Just need to fix the 10 rounder and get an rds on there. I’m really liking the bronze and black. Stuck a preban fun stick in for pics. Would love to do it but making a post ban new build with high cap would be orangemanbad.

View attachment 335110View attachment 335111
Is this really good in ma? Might have to do the same to my build 😮

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this really good in ma? Might have to do the same to my build 😮
Its only good if a 10 round mag is fixed via drill/tap with a set screw to restrict the mag catch/release from movement keeping the 10 round mag from being detached. Again, fixed mag is key for legality in Ma. But as you know even things that are legal in Ma are illegal. Gotta love this state!

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran it today and it was flawless! What a sweet pistol. I have to makeshift some compression device to reload from the top. I can get about 6 rounds in before it gets tough. Removing floorplates off a glock mag is downright madness.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View: https://youtu.be/vsP3Zl6Ouho

View: https://youtu.be/y9jAFSr-odo

I tried testing G19 pmags beforehand but those are even tougher. I’m thinking a small open ended wrench would work pretty good by pushing down on the round to get as close to 10 in there as possible. Top loading is by far the best option in this case vs popping floor plates off. On my 5.56 pmags that is not an issue but over time they will get chewed up. Man, I hate this state.👿

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only good if a 10 round mag is fixed via drill/tap with a set screw to restrict the mag catch/release from movement keeping the 10 round mag from being detached. Again, fixed mag is key for legality in Ma. But as you know even things that are legal in Ma are illegal. Gotta love this state!
Theoretically speaking, if someone found an AR9 lower in an MA store in recent years and built it to a working rifle, registered and everything, it would have to have a fixed 9mm mag? I assumed 9mm was exempt from that nonsense because its operating system was blowback, so not a copy. Also (maybe wrongfully) assumed that if a lower was being sold without a pinned mag, it was kosher.

And to those that know the correct answer, I'm sorry to continually beat this here horse, but MA is confusing. Some might even say purposefully so.

jayhitek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Theoretically speaking, if someone found an AR9 lower in an MA store in recent years and built it to a working rifle, registered and everything, it would have to have a fixed 9mm mag? I assumed 9mm was exempt from that nonsense because its operating system was blowback, so not a copy. Also (maybe wrongfully) assumed that if a lower was being sold without a pinned mag, it was kosher.

And to those that know the correct answer, I'm sorry to continually beat this here horse, but MA is confusing. Some might even say purposefully so.
Registered as a rifle.. All the AWB still apply. But no fixed mag is required. Just use 10 round mags or pre bans.

When you said recent years.. Was it bought after 07/16 or before?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Registered as a rifle.. All the AWB still apply. But no fixed mag is required. Just use 10 round mags or pre bans.

When you said recent years.. Was it bought after 07/16 or before?
Got it--thank you. Registered as a rifle / purchased some time last year. Didn't immediately notice the pistol brace on that build I was quoting. Got the 10rd mags and a couple pre-bans.

Damn this state--always making me second guess myself!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's a maze of overlapping and confusing rules and laws. If you're going to go with a very-short braced 9mm pistol, you may be better off buying an MPX (or whatever they're called) and a dedicated G17. For $650 you're done. Or use your current gun (G17 or 19 or 22 or 23) with the chassis. And even more compact than an AR9.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
It's a maze of overlapping and confusing rules and laws. If you're going to go with a very-short braced 9mm pistol, you may be better off buying an MPX (or whatever they're called) and a dedicated G17. For $650 you're done.
A MPX for $650?! Where are you finding them that cheap?! They're approaching like $2k

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it--thank you. Registered as a rifle / purchased some time last year. Didn't immediately notice the pistol brace on that build I was quoting. Got the 10rd mags and a couple pre-bans.

Damn this state--always making me second guess myself!
The general consensus is that AR-9s operate on a different principal from AR-15s so the Healey ban does not apply. Abide by the AWB stipulations for a rifle and you don't need to fix the mag.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not and any preban lowers in 9mm you may come across like Colt go for the price of a pregnant unicorn.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The general consensus is that AR-9s operate on a different principal from AR-15s so the Healey ban does not apply. Abide by the AWB stipulations for a rifle and you don't need to fix the mag.
Unfortunately for the semi-auto pistol we can’t have beautiful things without chastity belts.

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately for the semi-auto pistol we can’t have beautiful things without chastity belts.
Yes that is correct. If you're doing a pistol build, you will have to fix the mag, or magically bring it in under 50oz or whatever the ridiculous weight limit is.

Shawnyc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry should have explained, I would be going the SBR route. I have the Stern Defense adapter which works great. Just a pain swapping back and forth.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry should have explained, I would be going the SBR route. I have the Stern Defense adapter which works great. Just a pain swapping back and forth.
How's the LRBHO working on that Stern? LRBHO seems to be kind of a wonky afterthought in most Glock mag AR9's, so I was curious how they work in the Stern.

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I finally got my FM9 to the range. It's an FM upper on an Aero lower, using an Endomag. It runs tit. Loading is as easy as it can be in a fixed mag configuration - the Endomag loads similarly to a standard rifle mag. Just press the rounds down in. I experienced no issues while resting the pistol on the magazine, as some users of Endomags reported. I did only load 9 rounds at a time, as getting the upper/bolt into place with 10 was problematic.

I slapped a trs25 rds on it, and had some fun @ 50 yards. I plan to run some quality ammo through it with a better sight, to verify precision.

20200302_150538.jpg

Top Bottom