ar pistol help

So I saw a spikes honey badger lower marked pistol that I now want. But I need to know what's Bueno and not in this wacky state regarding ar pistols. I read the previous thread but feel like it contradicts itself.

So here's what i garnered.

Under 50 Oz unloaded.
No butt stock

Here's the one I care about tho.

No handguard if I don't make it a fixed magazine?

No handguard if it's a regular mag. And no threads on the muzzle, a pin/welded muzzle break adds weight.

Generally, it's the 50oz that's the biggest hurtle.
You have to balance the carrier and buffer weight with the weight of the barrel - the longer the barrel, the smoother the gas impulse; shorter the barrel, the sharper/stronger the impulse and the heavier buffer is needed. You might make it light enough with particular parts, but it won’t run reliably.

Also, I’m not sure how sights fall into the weight aspect of things. You might have to count their weight too because it’s probably 50 oz as configured in current (at that instant) condition. IANAL.

From what I've seen when I was reading about this, it is pretty hard to go below 50 oz while keeping 223. People have pulled it off, but they went to some pretty extreme measures to skeletonize everything and get the weight down. Maybe try a 22 setup that eliminates the need for a buffer?

this. AR pistols aren't worth the time even in a free state where i can slap one together with zero restrictions.

SBR: an extra $200, 4+ month weight, no one else can borrow it (aside from a trust), paper work to take it out of state.

A well made free-state pistol has a few points over an SBR.

Last edited:
Yah that's what I figured I'd like to sbr it. But I have the impulse control of a 3 year old so I saw that and just started running awesome ideas through my head thanks guys

Im going the 'fixed mag' route. Remove the detachable magazine part and a lot of restrictions are removed on the build. But SBR if you can, then again pistols are easier to move across state lines.

this. AR pistols aren't worth the time even in a free state where i can slap one together with zero restrictions.
One could carry a loaded, concealed AR pistol on ones person in MA with an unrestricted LTC. Im not sure this would be legal with an SBR. Maybe Im wrong though.

Im going the 'fixed mag' route. Remove the detachable magazine part and a lot of restrictions are removed on the build. But SBR if you can, then again pistols are easier to move across state lines.

Every time some one dose this the gun gods kill a puppy .

Why not just follow the awb at pistols of your so dead set to have one ?
Really is rather pay the 200$ and not have a bastardized child .

SBR: an extra $200, 4+ month weight, no one else can borrow it (aside from a trust), paper work to take it out of state.

A well made free-state pistol has a few points over an SBR.
I agree. Not to mention in a free state like NH you get all of the benefits of having a "pistol". Concealed carry, maintaining a loaded firearm in a vehicle... Ect.

One could carry a loaded, concealed AR pistol on ones person in MA with an unrestricted LTC. Im not sure this would be legal with an SBR. Maybe Im wrong though.

SOON..... (good luck not printing with this pistol)
P1140386-900x600.jpg

SOON..... (good luck not printing with this pistol)
P1140386-900x600.jpg

WGAF about printing? OC is legal in mass. Throw on your coat then sling in under your arm and go about your day. "Why yes that is an AR pistol under my arm. Wanna make something of it?"... Or just go the trench coat mafia rout with it. Don't for get to glare at anyone you catch looking at the conspicuous bulge like you're sizing them up.

Either way. Contrary to what that guy in the pic may think, carrying an AR in a holster does not offset that bracelet on his wrist. Though, if asked, I'm sure he'll tell you how the magnets in the bracelet make him shoot better... [rolleyes]

I just reworked the Cali compliant mag hold in my Phase 5. Took all of a few minutes but the gun never comes into Mass.

It would still have to be under your "direct control". Cross body carry would be slightly uncomfortable, especially if you got in a wreck.

Last edited:
If it's just for giggles, you could do a .22 pistol and probably get it under the 50oz gayness. No receiver extension, buffer, spring, way lighter BCG.

Use a KMR7 for the hand guard, CMMG .22 kit (https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-and-bolt-group-kit-9-mc-22lr/), and a Spikes RE cap (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...54594.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=SPIKES+TACTICAL).

I would bet that would get you there.

Also, AR pistols can be very useful if assembled correctly.

For me ar pistols are stupid cause of the buffer. Id rather have a ak super shorty .
0fbb168404f05e419d3f042de36f94e9.jpg

3bf5a05c6b4a39519b4b589bbaca2cb5.jpg

0d9d9d7d334d18bfd69de9c4cd4a31be.jpg

4cd5b309c51e4261f664d3bc0de417d3.jpg

I wish sig would start selling there upper parts . I new they played to for guys with fa m16 lowers .

****, can that make weight Ben? I've been looking for a reason to file a stamp with 41P and I have have just found something to mount my drum...

****, can that make weight Ben? I've been looking for a reason to file a stamp with 41P and I have have just found something to mount my drum...

I'll see if I have enough spare parts to weigh later .
Those are made with a barrel stub from a chopped up demilled . Ie the part of the barrel in the trunnion when you get a ATF demilled kit. Not a fully demilled kit like ak builder when he removes the barrel stubs etc .

I thought about doing one in 54r lol but if I did it that short on 54r there would be just a chamber lol .

Also I've thought about Swiss cheeses the carrier.

Last edited:
I'll see if I have enough spare parts to weigh later .
Those are made with a barrel stub from a chopped up demilled . Ie the part of the barrel in the trunnion when you get a ATF demilled kit. Not a fully demilled kit like ak builder when he removes the barrel stubs etc .

I thought about doing one in 54r lol but if I did it that short on 54r there would be just a chamber lol .

Also I've thought about Swiss cheeses the carrier.

So the barrel on the AK is an inch or 2 inches long? Wonder what kind of groups that gets... fireball is beautiful anyway

For me ar pistols are stupid cause of the buffer. Id rather have a ak super shorty .
0fbb168404f05e419d3f042de36f94e9.jpg

3bf5a05c6b4a39519b4b589bbaca2cb5.jpg

0d9d9d7d334d18bfd69de9c4cd4a31be.jpg

4cd5b309c51e4261f664d3bc0de417d3.jpg

I wish sig would start selling there upper parts . I new they played to for guys with fa m16 lowers .

Dude that is a fireball and a half. Ever shoot it without gloves? Do you have any hair below your elbow? Where can I get me one ?

I could save you a bunch of grief building an AR pistol. Drive to Vermont and shoot mine and realize how much they suck. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom