• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Pistol Braces and now uppers

So now that I have my brace I'm trying to narrow down an upper, x39? 5.56, 300aac? 9mm? and length I'm learning towards 10.5" no matter the caliber, I do already have a slick side 300 but since I don't reload an x39 seems like a way to leverage 30cal for the cheap. unfortunately Brandon has made that as expensive as 5.56

The first SBR AR upper I had was a 7" 9mm with a mag conversion block. In my opinion a dedicated PCC lower is the way to go if you want one, but I found that a 10.5" 5.56 with LWRC UCIW stock is almost as small and weighs about the same, plus it uses regular mags. At the time I built it you basically had to use 50 dollar colt SMG mags if you wanted a PCC. The 7" did suppress well with 147 grain ammo and was lighter than my 5.56 rifle + heavier rifle can. A 12.5" 5.56 will still supposedly launch XM193 fast enough for it to fragment out to about 50 or 100 yards, but a 10.5" does not get it fast enough to fragment at all, if memory serves. Note that any short barrel is going to be plenty loud using full power rifle ammo, especially with a brake. I have only fired a handful of unsuppressed shots out of my 12.5" as it has a big ol' brake mount that will detach your retinas and singe your eyebrows. The 10.5" is noticeably louder and flash-ier than a 16" even with just an A2; the original XM118 had a moderator so the NVA/VC couldn't tell the report from a normal M16. I have a KVP linear comp that takes the edge off and was only about 40 bucks.

A high capacity snubnose Saturday night special. The preferred gun of criminals. LOL

I got an email from some company making 10rd'mag'd .410 uppers. That was interesting. Not $600 interesting, but interesting just the same. I wonder what is cheaper now, .223 ammo or .410.

I'll say this as well. Make it an AR pistol, fixed mag in mASS, SB Tac stock with 3-ball buckshot loads for home defense. That would be at least interesting.

Last edited:
A high capacity snubnose Saturday night special. The preferred gun of criminals. LOL

I got an email from some company making 10rd'mag'd .410 uppers. That was interesting. Not $600 interesting, but interesting just the same. I wonder what is cheaper now, .223 ammo or .410.

I'll say this as well. Make it an AR pistol, fixed mag in mASS, SB Tac stock with 3-ball buckshot loads for home defense. That would be at least interesting.
I haven't seen 410 ammo anywhere in like a year. I haven't been looking hard, mind you, but i'm pretty sure that basically answers the "which is cheaper" question.

If it's in .410, it's a yawner. If it feeds and fires .45 Colt as well, that would be interesting.

Mmmm. Maybe. Assuming a riffled barrel. The problem with 45LC is you start going down rabbit holes. I mean, do you load them to 45acp status? At that point, it's just an AR in 45ACP. There are plenty of 45acp car'beans out there. Or load them to hunting loads? Now why do you need that?? Not "need" like Joe Biden asking. But are you really going to defend your home and property with a bear gun with 10 rounds??? There are better alternatives at that point.

I would think it's best role is shooting as much lead as feasible in a .410 shell for home defense. Otherwise, it's no more than a range toy. Like shooting skeet with it.

Oh wait. It's a shoot-gun at that point. NOGO in mASSachusetts. Whoops. LOL. Moot point for me.

Mmmm. Maybe. Assuming a riffled barrel. The problem with 45LC is you start going down rabbit holes. I mean, do you load them to 45acp status? At that point, it's just an AR in 45ACP. There are plenty of 45acp car'beans out there. Or load them to hunting loads? Now why do you need that?? Not "need" like Joe Biden asking. But are you really going to defend your home and property with a bear gun with 10 rounds??? There are better alternatives at that point.

I would think it's best role is shooting as much lead as feasible in a .410 shell for home defense. Otherwise, it's no more than a range toy. Like shooting skeet with it.

Oh wait. It's a shoot-gun at that point. NOGO in mASSachusetts. Whoops. LOL. Moot point for me.
You can still have it in MA...just needs a 5rd mag [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom