• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR pin & weld, headspace check

Finishing up my AR build this weekend, I'm going to need to get the muzzle brake pinned and welded, and would like the head space checked. What's a reasonable fee for such work, and where would I go within 25 mi of Pepperell for a quality job?

Why pin and weld seriously who's going to check that if your really worried use locktite and some grey modeling clay it will look and do the same so I've heard......

Finishing up my AR build this weekend, I'm going to need to get the muzzle brake pinned and welded, and would like the head space checked. What's a reasonable fee for such work, and where would I go within 25 mi of Pepperell for a quality job?
Unfortunately, I can't give a suggestion for a place within that distance of Pepperell, but I'd say that $60-70 is a decent price for that. I sure wouldn't go the locktite and modelling clay route.

Why pin and weld seriously who's going to check that if your really worried use locktite and some grey modeling clay it will look and do the same so I've heard......

"Do the same thing" You mean that locktite and modeling clay will make it legal? Gee I wish I had known that. And all this time I've been silver soldering them on. Boy do I feel foolish.

Ok I'm going to ask the noob question: Permanent locktite typically is removed by heating the part first. What stops the barrel heating up from degrading the seal from the locktite?

Ok I'm going to ask the noob question: Permanent locktite typically is removed by heating the part first. What stops the barrel heating up from degrading the seal from the locktite?

I don't think the barrel will get hot enough to break red loctite. I believe you need a temp of 550F or something to break that seal if it's applied properly, and your barrel temp probably won't get anywhere near that the muzzle end.

pretty sure loctite does NOT constitute a permanent attachment. I was considering doing that myself until I researched it, but I don't have the cite handy.

pretty sure loctite does NOT constitute a permanent attachment. I was considering doing that myself until I researched it, but I don't have the cite handy.

As far as I know MA law is silent on what constitutes "permanent," but the ATF does provide some guidance in their NFA guide.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Any decent gunsmith (or anyone with basic skills*) should be able to do a simple pin and weld job. Drill a blind hole, insert pin, weld over the hole. I've done them myself a bunch of times, but these days I generally just swing by Northeast arms and have Steve do it for me. If he's not busy he can usually do it while you wait. Takes about 15 minutes.

(*It is probably considered "gunsmithing," so in addition to having basic skills, the person doing it should probably be a licensed gunsmith. At least in MA anyway.)

Last edited:

Call Steve at northeast arms. They'll likely be able to do it while you wait at a cost of 40 bucks

Back
Top Bottom