• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR or M1 garand?

Come on, Man Stopper vs. Poodle Shooter?

I think that it just boils down to not being satisfying to shoot for me. I felt it was too bulky and ungainly (I'm sure the rifle would make a pot/kettle comment hearing that from me) and I just plain old didn't like it. Oddly enough, I didn't find the recoil bad at all.

I'm not a big fan of ARs either.

Just saying as a choice between two guns I don't really like, I like the AR platform better.

I actually like my 30-30 better than either of them.

solid answer.....

Garand... Can never have too many M1's

Could you please not post any more pics like this? Typing with one hand makes me feel a little awkward.

giphy.gif

I have no idea why the thumbnail is here.

Attachments

• giphy.jpg
    giphy.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
If I had neither I would definitely take the M1. If I had a half dozen M1s...I might take the AR [smile]

Ok, I have 3 M1s and 2 ARs. To me, the ARs don't got no soul like the Garand has.

OP needs to specify WHICH AR he's talking about. If it's a choice between an AR10 and garand, AR10 all day long.

The fact that you have have several uppers for the one lower receiver on the AR10 (just like with the AR15) means you can easily pick the best configuration for the task. Medium range shooting (out to 400-500 yards), pick the 16" or 18" barrel and optic. Longer range shooting, pick the 20"-24" barrel with higher power scope/optic on it. There's even 12.5" barrels available for the AR10 .308 Winchester caliber. Not to mention you can even chamber the AR10 in different calibers.

I have both and the Garand is what I shoot for fun. It has more soul and gets more positive comments than an AR ever could. Be a steward of American history and get the Garand.

lol @ people complaining about garand recoil, they need to shoot a mosin carbine to feel some recoil. Though if you're just comparing garand to AR, then yeah the garand is going to have more felt recoil but its nothing to fret about.

Garand all day long. You can get an AR any day of the week anywhere you go, not so for a garand.

Orest at the CMP said last year that he believes the supply of Garands at the CMP will not last past 2014. Once that happens, prices will SKYROCKET. As it is now, Garands sell for nearly double on the open market vs what the CMP sells them for. When the CMP runs out, I expect the current market price to go up by at least 50%. Find out the serial number, if it is a WWII serial get it now. WWII serials will probably double in price once the CMP runs out.

I am a shooter and a collector. Which is why I have both. I got my AR first (2010), then an M1 Carbine then another Carbine and the Garand before getting my second AR. My only regret is not getting the Garand (and carbine) sooner as things were much cheaper and more available back in 2005 when I turned 18.

Get the Garand due to limited availability.

As to the recoil, if you hold the Garand correctly (as shown in the WWII US Army training videos) the recoil is not bad, and I'm a bit sensitive to large recoil. I can shoot a Garand for quite some time before the recoil "gets" to me.

One last thing, for me, AR's are fun to shoot. But the Garand is satisfying. Fun and satisfying are not one and the same.

So lets kick this up a notch...

Top...or Bottom?

images

For what purpose? Collecting? SHTF? Competition shooting? These threads comparing two totally differing platforms are a stupid and mindless exercise without a goal.

Would I rather have a pickup or a sports car? Depends on whether I need to plow snow with it or not.

Last edited:
So lets kick this up a notch...

Top...or Bottom?

images

Garand all the way. I may be able to quickly reload the M1A, but I can buy two Garands and a few cans of ammo for the same price of one M1A (~$1600).

Plus the ping...nothing like it.

Last edited:
Garands reload easy too! All ya need is thumbs...

Orest at the CMP said last year that he believes the supply of Garands at the CMP will not last past 2014. Once that happens, prices will SKYROCKET. As it is now, Garands sell for nearly double on the open market vs what the CMP sells them for. When the CMP runs out, I expect the current market price to go up by at least 50%. Find out the serial number, if it is a WWII serial get it now. WWII serials will probably double in price once the CMP runs out.

I am a shooter and a collector. Which is why I have both. I got my AR first (2010), then an M1 Carbine then another Carbine and the Garand before getting my second AR. My only regret is not getting the Garand (and carbine) sooner as things were much cheaper and more available back in 2005 when I turned 18.

Get the Garand due to limited availability.

As to the recoil, if you hold the Garand correctly (as shown in the WWII US Army training videos) the recoil is not bad, and I'm a bit sensitive to large recoil. I can shoot a Garand for quite some time before the recoil "gets" to me.

One last thing, for me, AR's are fun to shoot. But the Garand is satisfying. Fun and satisfying are not one and the same.

Did he say that? Curious as I just read one of the GCA mags and cmp supposed to have 50k serial# still in deep storage. Along with the shit ton of drill rifles. They kept all the serviceable recievers to build out the cmp specials. Plus they still need to sell off all the loose hxp to then release the sealed cans of hxp again.
Orest posted on one of the cmp emails they are 2000 rifle orders back logged whit h should clear up by may or June.? I give cmp about 5 years before out of service grade m1s for a good price. Then everything will be cmp auction.

For what purpose? Collecting? SHTF? Competition shooting? These threads comparing two totally differing platforms are a stupid and mindless exercise without a goal.

Would I rather have a pickup or a sports car? Depends on whether I need to plow snow with it or not.

You are going WAY too deep. The question is; I have an M1 and I have an AR. You can have only one of the two (for FREE)that are in front of you now... PICK ONE.

It isn't a comparison of the two. It isn't a matter of whether it is the only gun you can have or which is better in which situation.

This is a simple "I have an orange and I have an apple... which would you like"... not taking into account teeth cleaning capability or eradication of a potassium deficiency.

[wink]

Last edited:
M1 Garand every time for doing everything except putting holes in paper, AR's are real good for that, I have 3 AR-15's, a AR-10 in 7.62X51 (Not .308), also 2 M1's, one in original 30-06 and one in .308.
First used the M1 in Korea in 1952, and the M16 in Vietnam in 1970. My opinion and experiences have shown me that if you hit someone with a 30-06 he usually stays hit, NOT so with 5.56.

Arnaki

Did he say that? Curious as I just read one of the GCA mags and cmp supposed to have 50k serial# still in deep storage. Along with the shit ton of drill rifles. They kept all the serviceable recievers to build out the cmp specials. Plus they still need to sell off all the loose hxp to then release the sealed cans of hxp again.
Orest posted on one of the cmp emails they are 2000 rifle orders back logged whit h should clear up by may or June.? I give cmp about 5 years before out of service grade m1s for a good price. Then everything will be cmp auction.

I should clarify, Orest said back in like July, that at current demand, he did not expect the supply of Garands to last beyond 2014. Demand during early to mid 2013 was insane. I don't know if demand has tapered off since then but suffice to say, the number of Garands at the CMP has been greatly reduced by the first half of 2013. If another major mass shooting happens, all bets are off. If the democrats somehow manage to take the house and keep the senate, all bets are off.

The future of when the CMP will run out is rather uncertain, a free Garand now would be a very wise decision. Hell a Garand at the current CMP price is a very wise decision.

yup.

Want a Garand, and you'll have to look, and they get scarcer and more expensive daily.

Want an AR, you can buy them ANYTIME, ANYWHERE that guns are sold or make it yourself.

One is like finding a gold nugget and the other is like finding a gray rock.

The force is strong with this one! Listen to him!

Look......you guys voting for the AR might have some thought that the OP was saying this is the only rifle you would own and have to chose between the two or something. I don't know.

For crying out load walk into a gun shop and count the M1s for sale vs the ARs you see......the ARs are everywher..........Garands in great shape are going to get tougher and tougher to find.

Bottom line if you are into actual collecting and holding onto American history you'll take the free M1 every day and twice on Sunday. If you only look at rifles as a tool to get you through the "reset" or zombie apocalypse then you'll take the AR.

I LOVE my M1 garand.......but will it be the rifle I grab to "bug out".......no I'll grab a 5.56 like most everyone else. But to take to the range and enjoy a piece of history from when men drank brown liquor and ate meat and potatoes I'll put my M1 in the case.

Back
Top Bottom