• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR or M1 garand?

I hate you all. what would you value a war time (42) garand at in pretty good shape. orignal stock, replaced barrel but still ww2 era has very minimal barrel wear. other parts are post war. serial number in the 400,000s?

Garand, subject to scarcity, increasing prices, will be harder to get in the future.

Everyone with a garage and some basic tooling skills is making ARs these days...

I hate you all. what would you value a war time (42) garand at in pretty good shape. orignal stock, replaced barrel but still ww2 era has very minimal barrel wear. other parts are post war. serial number in the 400,000s?

CMP is selling them for $630. Mines an SA Service Grade in the 317,xxx. Paid $100 over that, but it was private sale.

Ho-Lee-Crap.

That's an awesome collection. Any idea where or who that is? Looks like they've got a whole shipping container dedicated to it.

That ain't no internet download. That's one of our own's.
I call it the CMP East Store.

You can get them shipped for $650 from the CMP. Got mine end of last year and it was born in Feb of 1943, re rebarreled in 1950-something and was in damn fine shape. If you put a sticky note on your order when you mail it in and ask for a WWII serial number they will do their best to get you one if they have one. I didn't do that, and got one anyway, but people make special requests and they try to fulfill them if they can.

CMP is selling them for $630. Mines an SA Service Grade in the 317,xxx. Paid $100 over that, but it was private sale.

Case in point, I bought mine from the CMP for $395, and that was only ~5 years ago. Who knows what they'll cost in another 5 years.

Thank you guys for the broad range of opinions, that's exactly what I was looking for.

650$ shipped
Manufacture? Gauge readings? Also other factors may bump the price a bit for someone looking for specific stuff.
Example is some guys will pay extra for a LMR barreled HRA? These come from cmp for 650$ luck of the draw of course.

Last edited:
My 2 cents: Take the M1. Prices will go up once the CMP runs out and you will have a nice investment. Just look at what happened to Carbines once the CMP ran out. Plus, an M1 is just a rifleman's rifle. Grab the M1, then order another one from the CMP. As stated before, ARs can come in good time. I waited almost 18 years of shooting before I got an AR but if I had the choice, I would still pick the m1. ARs are fun and SHTF potential is great but the before mentioned items, subject to condition (i.e., is it a POC M1), leave one looking to the M1. You lucky jerk!

Last edited:
Collectors in Stoneham has a late production NEVER issued Springfield M1 Garand. It looks like it did when it rolled off the line...stunning. Not cheap though at just under 1,900. I'd buy it in a second if I could.

Collectors in Stoneham has a late production NEVER issued Springfield M1 Garand. It looks like it did when it rolled off the line...stunning. Not cheap though at just under 1,900. I'd buy it in a second if I could.
That is actually a steal of a price in collector circles.

I doubt its unissued, looks like new maybe but not unissues. If it was it would be a lot more $$$ and I think collectors would know?

I doubt its unissued, looks like new maybe but not unissues. If it was it would be a lot more $$$ and I think collectors would know?

Yeah I am going off what the tag says on it (UNINSSUED)...I am headed there today to browse and will snap some photos. It definitely looks brand new.

Garand! No disrespect to the AR platform. I'm damm proud to say that the M1 was my first centerfire rifle that I bought. ARs are everywhere on the range. Whip out your Garand, you'll get oooos and ahhhhs. There's something special about holding a 9 and 1/2 pound rifle made of wood and steel and its a solid piece. It took 4 months for mine to arrive from the CMP, get them while you can. I know its not the best SHTF gun, but for me, its cheaper than an M1A (live in Boston no "assault weapons") but it filled that void perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom