• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR OPTICS Q's

Hi I am a new to ARs and Optics. I have some questions concerning what Optics to buy. I have two AR15 rifles on order. A 2007 version of the S&W MP Performance Center and a Fulton Armory Carbine with 16 inch barrel.

For the M&P I want a durable scope to shoot 100 to 800 yards (optimistic?). Will be benchrest/BIPOD at the range and plinking in the woods. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Looking for a good scope that will help me shoot tight groups. Thinking of Nightforce, Leopold, and Trijicon Accupoint. Are there any others I should condsider?
price range $400 - $1200.

The Carbine is more difficult. Is it possible to have sight that allows precision shooting out to 300 yards and CQ shooting? Again it will be used at the range and in the woods.
Will an ACOG allow for this type of shooting? Can you shoot tight groups at 300 yards or is it just used to hit silhouettes?
Are any sights capable of tight groups at 300 and quick target acquisition up close?

Thanks!

Where are you going to shoot out to 800 yards? There are very, very few 600 yard ranges around. The nearest 1000 yard range is in NY, IIRC.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint. At 1.25x at 100yards it makes me a tack driver.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure where I would shoot 800.

Are those Millets quality they seem inexpensive?

I like the idea of Trijicon would you suggest the ACOG or the Accupoint?

I was thinking of the ACOG TA11F-A 3.5x35 for the carbine. Would an Accupoint be more accurate at 100-300 yards?

For the rifle I was thinking Accupoint 2.5-10x56. Is that a good way to go?
Or is a more traditional scope better?

bboy3.jpg

This 3x30 ta33-8 trijicon acog works. I doubt it would be any good over 300 yards though. Larue mounts are nice. I bought the accessories from Larue, just to get the mounts, basically free. Ain't she pertty.

I recently aquired it so I haven't tried it at more than a hundred yet. It is quite deadly at that range and I'm sure just as accurate at 300yards. I bought it because of the BAC. With two eyes open you can aquire the RRJ's(Radical Running Jihadi's) quickly and easily[smile]

Any suggestions on what EO Tech works well on an AR? I was thinking about the 512 or 511???

They are great but they are not magnified and not generally used for target shooting at distances longer than say 50 yards. They are better at quick acquisition. You can add flip-up/out magnification behind them which should give you the best of both worlds but I have no experience with that setup.

Any EOTech will work well on an AR. The 510 series don't have NV capability, but I doubt you're concerned with that.

Correct, I am not that concerned with its NV capability. All so that is the range I will be working in (50yds) if I need more than that i will upgrade to a magnifacation.

Thanks

I have had good luck with the Leupold Mark IV CQC. My AR will shoot 2.25 in groups at 300yds with it, and at close range on 1X it shoots like a dot scope.

EOTech 557.AR223

I went with a EOTech 557.AR223 had it for over 6 months now - no complaints from me - but I'm a recreational shooter - It's not gettting much of a beating. The magnifier has a definite "cool factor" with the flip to side mount. [rockon]

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=8&cat=1

Here's some pics of the setup on my AR.

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

I went with a EOTech 557.AR223 had it for over 6 months now - no complaints from me - but I'm a recreational shooter - It's not gettting much of a beating. The magnifier has a definite "cool factor" with the flip to side mount. [rockon]

Here's some pics of the setup on my AR....

Step away from the crayons and back slowly away from the rifle being careful not to make a sudden moves..

J/K nice setup.[smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom