• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR newbie question

chindogg

NES Member
So I am finally close to getting an AR15. I have all my other bases covered. Whether it be for ccw, hunting, home defense I am good. When I got my license I got a saiga and converted it. I went that rout for monetary reasons. With the price of ARs coming around again I think I might dip my feet in the pool. For an introductory AR what would you guys recommend of these. Any advice would be appreciated. Options http://www.slickguns.com/product/dpms-16-oracle-atacs-556nato-30-rnds-69399-free-shipping
http://www.slickguns.com/product/bu...arbine-74999-dunhams-sports-black-friday-2012
http://www.slickguns.com/product/ww-cf-carbon-fiber-src-556-flat-top-69999
http://www.slickguns.com/product/dp...6in-black-ca-compliant-10-round-55899-shipped
http://www.slickguns.com/product/ati-omni-hybrid-223rem-16-m4-carb-bsa-red-dot-scope-package

Probably the Windham, even though it is the carbon fiber version, if these are the only choices. Then the Bushmaster (shudder) I wouldn't consider any of the other choices. Stay away from 1:10 barrels, and one of the others is a CA compliant model with a bullet button (double shudder).

Of those listed, get the Windham... Bushmaster doesn't have a great rep (the better employees formed Windham). The rail on gas block on the DPMS is lower than the flat top, making it useless for most sights (unless you buy the super-special raised one).

Another option would be to either build, or assemble, one yourself. If you buy all the parts in finished states, then you're just assembling. If you get an 80% lower, then you're building. Plus you'll have a "ghost gun" to scare the moonbats with. [rofl2]

BTW, there are plenty of people on NES that have built AR's... Chances are there's someone close enough to you with all the tools, and experience, to help you build up a good AR.

Last edited:
+1 on the Windham. Like others have said, I would skip the carbon fiber version, but if money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do. WW is a great company.

shameless self promotion!! I have an AR in the classifieds that is ready to go Ma compliant (not sure your in MA) and i will happily take you to the range and let you shoot it and break it down with you and show you how it works get you acquainted with the platform. its an excellent rifle and im only selling it to fund another project. if you dont wanna buy it, ill still take you to the range and get you acquainted to ar15 so you know what you can get a better idea of what you want to buy. just shoot me a pm!

Forgot to Mention,No major Problems with mine"Eats Everything and I mean everything I feed it"probably got 2500-3000 rounds through already

None of the above. You get what you pay for, and you're shopping the bottom shelf. You'll be disappointed if you go the cheapest route possible. Wait for however long it takes to drum up another $200, and buy a proper AR. Windham or S&W are good choices.

Not sure where you are located..... FourSeasons guns in wobourn has a good deal going on S&W sport and 420 rounds of fed M855 720$ you can sell the ammo can and clips for 15& or so ......tough to beat that.
Depending on your actual use of the AR. I love my RRA A2 National Match Rifle..... what I didnt sell of my AR collection sits unused because my NM A2 shoot nice groups. Save some more money.
If your at all interested in a LMT, STAG or RRA try Pete southwich of AR 15 sales.com great prices has a store in NH also.

Last edited:
None of the above. You get what you pay for, and you're shopping the bottom shelf. You'll be disappointed if you go the cheapest route possible. Wait for however long it takes to drum up another $200, and buy a proper AR. Windham or S&W are good choices.

I can see the argument of not wanting polymer receivers over aluminum for a variety of reasons (lack of long term testing, heat/impact durability), and I do recommend going aluminum, but just because something is cheap, it doesn't make it bad. I have built and abused plenty of ~$500 "bottom shelf" rigs (PTAC, DPMS, DelTon) and by and large they all perform pretty much the same as the ARs I spent twice as much on with DD and BCM parts.

I would suggest building one though, OP. Buy a stripped lower, and assemble it in the configuration you think you want. ARs are very easy to put together, and you can save a few bucks doing it that way. You'll be able to put together an AR with aluminum receivers for the same (or less) than any of those options you posted.

Not sure where you are located..... FourSeasons guns in wobourn has a good deal going on S&W sport and 420 rounds of fed M855 720$ you can sell the ammo can and clips for 15& or so ......tough to beat that.
Depending on your actual use of the AR. I love my RRA A2 National Match Rifle..... what I didnt sell of my AR collection sits unused because my NM A2 shoot nice groups. Save some more money.
If your at all interested in a LMT, STAG or RRA try Pete southwich of AR 15 sales.com great prices has a store in NH also.

I am in central mexichussetts. I saw the M$p deal at four seasons. Might go that rout. So what would 420 rounds of M855 and clips sell for in the classifieds go for? You can also get a Stevens home defense shotgun for 120 with the deal. Also checked out AR15.com. That has got me thinking [coffee].

I am in central mexichussetts. I saw the M$p deal at four seasons. Might go that rout. So what would 420 rounds of M855 and clips sell for in the classifieds go for? You can also get a Stevens home defense shotgun for 120 with the deal. Also checked out AR15.com. That has got me thinking [coffee].

That 4 Seasons deal is great, but why the heck would you even consider selling the ammo in the classifieds? Won't you need ammo for the rifle? The other guy was saying that you could sell the ammo CAN and stripper clips if you wanted, but I'm not sure why you would even do that. I never seem to have enough ammo cans as it is! Also that m855 is the steel core "penetrator" ammo which is always good to have on hand. If you want to assemble a rifle the cheapest decent option I know of is to buy a lower locally, either stripped or assembled depending on what's available, then just watch the daily sales at Palmetto State Armory (get on their email list) for complete uppers. Depending on the upper you may just need to grind the bayonet lug off, and/or pin a brake on. You probably won't do much cheaper than that deal at 4 Seasons though once its all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom