ar muzzle brake / barrel ?

I know I cant have threads, but if grind off the threads of a 16 inch barrel and get a muzzle brake and use some loc tight and 4 screws to keep it on will that be ok in MA? I want to get a Oly upper and they do not permanently attach muzzle brakes and I do not want to pay a gunsmith to have it done.

Technically that would be ok; it has to be "a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor" to be illegal. I'd question the practicality of that however. Even with lock-tite, the screws would be likely to work their way out and the brake would get hit and destroyed by the exiting bullet (speaking from experience with non-threaded brakes).

I'll have to check to see if the brake is just a slip over one. I thought that might happen over time so another option would be to cap the barrel but I would need a gunsmith for that also.

It shouldn't cost very much at all to have a gunsmith weld a threaded brake onto the end of your barrel. I'm sure all the gunsmiths in MA are very familiar with the job [thinking]

Bad idea. You'd be better off getting a non-threaded barrel and leave off any muzzle device rather than going with a slip-on/set screw set-up.

Having a brake welded or blind pinned is around $20.00 - $30.00 tops.

Thanks, It's not the money it's the time finding a local one and having the job turned around fast. I'd pay more for a good job done the same day and back to me.

Contact JDL Sales on this forum. He can install a threaded brake for you and have it back within the week. He did mine earlier this month.

Back
Top Bottom