AR MR2

To clarify, as I understand it, this device meets the requirement for both the old definition and the proposed definition.

I agree .. it does not state "completely disassemble" ... but you have to decide ... a jury trial or trial by judge ... they will claim that you did not dissassemble the upper from the lower because the front pin is still on... its really partially disassembled ... I guess a jury trial with a motion to acquit to start out with ...

But the law says "(4) "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding device
that can be removed without disassembling the firearm action;"

And the firearm action includes the parts of the upper and lower ...
(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads,
fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to,
the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist,
magazine release and shell deflector;

Disassembling, I think, means "in the process of being disassembled" .. and in that respect you are in the process of disassembling the lower from the upper.

Indeed, the top loading AR's don't require a complete disassembly of the action ...

Last edited:
I agree .. it does not state "completely disassemble" ... but you have to decide ... a jury trial or trial by judge ... they will claim that you did not dissassemble the upper from the lower because the front pin is still on... its really partially disassembled ... I guess a jury trial with a motion to acquit to start out with ...

But the law says "(4) "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding device
that can be removed without disassembling the firearm action;"

And the firearm action includes the parts of the upper and lower ...
(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads,
fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to,
the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist,
magazine release and shell deflector;

Disassembling, I think, means "in the process of being disassembled" .. and in that respect you are in the process of disassembling the lower from the upper.

Indeed, the top loading AR's don't require a complete disassembly of the action ...

David, don't forget that I have specifically asked the DESPP for an opinion on this and they refused. Anyone who intends to use one of these items should do the same. Then they can show that they exercised due diligence.

Don

We're still waiting for Tresmond law to make the meeting mid September. He called 2 weekends ago, sounded puzzled that I haven't received his retainer agreement. 2 weeks later, still no agreement.

Once I have the letter, I don't imagine I'll keep it a secret. [smile]

-AR MR2

Any update on this, please?

I won't say who, but I spoke with a detective at the DESPP in CT and he told me that regardless of whether of not the rifle is on the banned list if it has been modified to have a fixed magazine or "none detachable magazine" then the rifle IS in fact legal.

His explanation was that since the firearm had been modified it was no longer the model specified by name on the list and therefore legal.

Now don't kill the messenger I'm just letting you guys know what I was told because I saw a nice AR with an MR2 kit in NY that they told me they can sell me if I provided an FFL in CT. This rifle was modified with an MR2 kit.

If you don't know already. To release the magazine from the rifle using the MR2 kit you have to tae apart the action from the lower basically disassembling the rifle.

MacMan

I won't say who, but I spoke with a detective at the DESPP in CT and he told me that regardless of whether of not the rifle is on the banned list if it has been modified to have a fixed magazine or "none detachable magazine" then the rifle IS in fact legal.

His explanation was that since the firearm had been modified it was no longer the model specified by name on the list and therefore legal.

Now don't kill the messenger I'm just letting you guys know what I was told because I saw a nice AR with an MR2 kit in NY that they told me they can sell me if I provided an FFL in CT. This rifle was modified with an MR2 kit.

If you don't know already. To release the magazine from the rifle using the MR2 kit you have to tae apart the action from the lower basically disassembling the rifle.

MacMan

I cannot confirm nor deny this conversation took place. I have an email into the DESPP contact, and I will personally see if he has changed his stance on the matter. When we last corresponded (7/7/13), he would not render an opinion one way or the other.

Also, in NY, we have received word from our Counsel (Max Tresmond), that the Counsel for NYSP has confirmed AR MR2 is NY-SAFE compliant in either configuration, and any firearms modified using this product would not be subject to registration. We have also seen an influx of sales from the NYSP, and Troopers are advising their local gun shops to carry AR MR2 on their shelves.

That is all.

It also looks like he will be releasing his right to the intellectual property around it.

In other words, if anyone else wants to make it, he's fine with it.

Don

Once we blow out the rest of our inventory, we'll be posting the schematics and suppliers list should anyone else decide to pick up the torch and carry it a while. You won't receive any grief from us.

It also looks like he will be releasing his right to the intellectual property around it.

In other words, if anyone else wants to make it, he's fine with it.

Don

Once we blow out the rest of our inventory, we'll be posting the schematics and suppliers list should anyone else decide to pick up the torch and carry it a while. You won't receive any grief from us.

that's kind of cool..

might just be funding, and not enough in way of marketing?

Did he patent the device? Group buy in for rights and see if we can market it? I look really respectable, I could be the public face.
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom