• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR (M-LOK) mounted light/laser. Which?

StevieP

NES Member
After the recent Florence bug-out shenanigans, I got to thinking about my SHTF AR Carbine, and when & if I might ever need to use it for what it was built for.

Does anyone run a light with (green) laser combo on their AR? Don't think I want one built into a vertical foregrip. Nor do I want a 'wireless' one (see Crimson Trace) with a handgrip button that activates the light/laser. Just a simple combo light/laser unit, preferably with an M-LOK mount vs piccatiny.

Not looking to cheap out with Chinese junk, nor break the bank. Just a good, solid, reliable, accurate laser, with a BRIGHT light. Suggestions?

TLR2, or the surefire one. I have the tlr1 and I like it. Can’t speak to their laser option but the light is good.

At night a green laser is a mostly visible beam pointing back to exactly where you are. You're better off with a red laser if you want to lower the beam visibility.

Buy a cheap green laser pen and red one and use them both outside at night. The red one is much less detectable from the side.

A laser is better suited to NVG ops in a squad either way. Why do you feel you need a laser on your rifle?

At night a green laser is a mostly visible beam pointing back to exactly where you are. You're better off with a red laser if you want to lower the beam visibility.

Buy a cheap green laser pen and red one and use them both outside at night. The red one is much less detectable from the side.

A laser is better suited to NVG ops in a squad either way. Why do you feel you need a laser on your rifle?

I don't think I really need any of it. When we bugged out for Florence, we went up to the mountains, and it (seemed like, anyway) was dark more than it was light out, in September. If we were to have bugged in and lost power, I'd be in the dark even more. Looting DID happen down here in NC. Mostly "inner city yutes" wiping out the Family Dollar store, but hey, stranger things have happened.

I don't have any lights on any of my handguns, because I wasn't a fan of the idea of pointing a loaded gun at anything I might want to shine a flashlight at. I wouldn't want to aim a gun at a neighbor's dog (or the neighbor) just because they're in the dark.

That said, I think a laser would be good for defending home & life in an after-dark situation. Put the dot on what you want to aim at, and pull the trigger. Works even if you don't or can't get good sight alignment. Not really a warfighter, so haven't really considered all the positives and negatives, but it just seemed like something interesting to have on a "SHTF AR" where it (the gun) could be necessary in any number of unpredictable situations. There may be advantages to a blinding 800 lumen wide-angle floodlight, too. If there's an advantage to be had in any situation, I want to have it.

I’m a big advocate for having lights on your home defense weapons. Worked, carried and used them for years and they were indispensable in helping ID threat v non-threat and armed v unarmed people.

That said, a weapon mounted light should never be used as a stand alone flashlight outside of an active or dynamic threat situation.

You don’t need to point the muzzle/light at anybody, if you keep your weapon at the low ready you can still shine the light at the persons feet you’re trying to ID, it will put off plenty of light to help ID somebody, whether it’s a young family member sneaking in after midnight or somebody out in your yard.

All you need to do if you determine it’s a threat at that point is raise your muzzle about 2” and you’re on target.

If you get a “super tactical light” or something with very high lumens that may also work against you indoors due to the backwash off of shiny painted walls, glass picture frames or stainless appliances in the house, thus blinding yourself while you search and deteriorating your own night vision.

Seek out some low light/no light training in your area, very advantageous and safe if used properly.

I’m not a big fan of lasers outside of IR with NOD’s, and with that comes a whole lot more training to use effectively.

Last edited:
Think about it long enough and you'll realize you NEED a PVS-14 and an IR laser.

This.

IMG_20180815_162941635_HDR.jpg

NV, an appropriately set up rifle, and comms with a buddy set up the same way is the epitome of the 2A.

I have 2 different lasers on 2 different rifles. The one on this rifle is a single spectrum DBAL I2, it has an IR laser and IR illuminator. I have a DBAL A3 on an other, it has an IR illuminator and an IR laser that is slaved to a visable green laser. In hindsight, I should have saved the $400 the A3 cost more then the IR only unit. There is very limited application for visable lasers, and like xtry said, that green laser is a dead giveaway at night.

May just go with a good light then, if laser isn't advisable outside of an infrared / NV setup. Certainly a lot more options to choose from.

Is too bright really a problem? What about something with adjustable lumens?

May just go with a good light then, if laser isn't advisable outside of an infrared / NV setup. Certainly a lot more options to choose from.

Outside of IR lasers they’re more of a gimmicky thing these days, was cool as a new toy 30yrs ago, but not so much now.

Higher lumens can def be an issue indoors, remember to gear things towards your environment, we have mostly painted rooms here, not mud huts and big rugs hanging on the walls.

Adjustable lumens should be a good option for you, you can switch between high and low depending on inside or out. The key here is to keep it simple, admittedly you don’t have a lot of training so On/Off is really what you’re looking for as you want your mind trained on the inherent threat as opposed to looking for or feeling all around for diff switches or buttons distracting yourself from the basics.

I know a lot of people say all sorts of things like this, but on a rifle I don't think so.

I have a Surefire M600DF on 2 of my rifles. With the fancy battery it comes with and the tail cap switch, it puts out 1500 lumens. With CR123s and a tape switch it is closer to 1200, I have both configurations. On a rifle, I want a light with the horsepower to burn through my tree line and light up the power lines or see down my street 200 yards, and these lights do it well.

Inside, I'd go blind, right? Nope. I lit my DF off in the house with the lights off just to see how bad it would be, and it wasn't. Is it over kill for searching a house? Probably. Could I successfully use it inside? Definitely. I would rather be able to positively ID a target at rifle engagement distances then be worried about blinding myself off the bathroom mirror.

For the money they cost, I'd get a M600DF for a rifle you were serious about having to use.

Last edited:
Just to close the loop on this thread, I ordered a Smith & Wesson Delta Force RM weaponlight. Came with M-Lok (and Keymod) mount so no need for an adapter. Low = 90 lumens, High = 900 (very bright!) and also has strobe mode. It came with a remote switch and cord but I like it without. It's mounted where I can activate it with my left thumb so no need for the remote.

By comparison it was VERY cost competitive. Ordered from Amazon Smile (with kickback to Comm2A) for under $80.

The URL seems to change every time I look at it, but if you search Amazon for this, you'll find it:

M&P by Smith & Wesson Delta Force RM, M-Lok KeyMod, 2xCR123 LED Tactical Weapon Mountable Flashlight Ultra Bright 900 Lumens Water & Impact Resistant 1083419

Here's the item page at S&W's site:

Smith & Wesson® Delta Force® RM, M-Lok KeyMod, 2xCR123 LED Flashlight

Back
Top Bottom