AR lowers

I have lowers that were purchased years before the 2017 ban. Am I legal to register them as completed rifles? I have reciepts for the purchases for both.

Under Healy, all pre-94 ARs are illegal assault weapons. She has decided at this time not to prosecute the owners of rifles purchased before 7/20. With your lower, if it was registered when you bought it, or if you have a sales reciept - you should be good to go. Otherwise, you have no way to prove you aren’t in violation.

I have lowers that were purchased years before the 2017 ban. Am I legal to register them as completed rifles? I have reciepts for the purchases for both.

Yes it is legal for you to build a rifle and file the FA-10. The AG feels different but it is still legal.

ETA - you may need to have a giant sack of money and a bunch of free time to prove what you are doing is legal.

Under Healy, all pre-94 ARs are illegal assault weapons. She has decided at this time not to prosecute the owners of rifles purchased before 7/20. With your lower, if it was registered when you bought it, or if you have a sales reciept - you should be good to go. Otherwise, you have no way to prove you aren’t in violation.

Uh. . . citation or logic please??

I'm with you on post-94 ARs, but Pre-94 guns are grandfathered.

When you buy a lower, a federal form is filled out, right? Not the FA-10 but something for BATF IIRC. Anyone know if its possible to get a copy of that form for something purchased in 2008 to prove my lower was in state then?

thanks

Len has posted a pdf from her office stating a lower , which in this case was going to be an sbr , bought pre 7/20 can be registered and is allowed. To the best of my recollection.

Correct. I downloaded a copy of the letter. Under Maura Healey Fiat Law, if you owned the lower pre-7/20 (and for your own protection have the receipt to prove it), you can build it up into a rifle and FA-10 it.

When you buy a lower, a federal form is filled out, right? Not the FA-10 but something for BATF IIRC. Anyone know if its possible to get a copy of that form for something purchased in 2008 to prove my lower was in state then?

thanks

Are you referring to the 4473?

I'm so, so, soooo fvcking glad to be out of the God forsaken state of Massachusetts.

I'll be over at my local FFL this afternoon picking up my next three AR build recievers.[pot]

thanks

Go to the FFL you bought it from and ask.

Talked to ATF, they don't keep 4473s, the dealer does. And Tite Group that did the group buy transfer for us is out of business.

The reality is that you will not be able to get your 4473. They are kept only in paper form and the ATF will not go digging through the boxes from a closed dealer to find it for you.

However, if you are ever in trouble, it is there and available.

CHUCK - you are worrying way too much about this. Its not on you to prove it was in state. Its on THEM to prove that it was NOT in state.

Use the lower, build it into what you want. Stop worrying.

If you can't come to grips with that, please PM me, I'll be happy to purchase it from you.

When a FFL shuts their doors they ship all their info to the ATF
I was under the impression that if the ffl was still valid, not expired or given up, the books stayed with the ffl owner named and not turned in unless the ffl was not renewed or just turned in with the shop closure. no?

I'm so, so, soooo fvcking glad to be out of the God forsaken state of Massachusetts.

I'll be over at my local FFL this afternoon picking up my next three AR build recievers.[pot]

[rofl]When I came home from CT there were multiple packages waiting for me. One of them contained (5) 80% lowers; another was an upper for an AR-pistol. Things to do on a rainy afternoon.

The licensee (the person holding the FFL the shop operates as) retains the bound book for, iirc, 20 years. The bb is NOT sent to the ATF when the shop closes. Only if they explicitly ask/require them.

The licensee (the person holding the FFL the shop operates as) retains the bound book for, iirc, 20 years. The bb is NOT sent to the ATF when the shop closes. Only if they explicitly ask/require them.

That is not correct.

When a licensee gives up his license, the licnesee must deliver to the ATF all the 4473s and bound books, multiple sale reports and all loss/theft reports. ATF is not allowed to digitize them or create a database from the data within.

Discontinue Being a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

I was under the impression that if the ffl was still valid, not expired or given up, the books stayed with the ffl owner named and not turned in unless the ffl was not renewed or just turned in with the shop closure. no?

When an FFL "closes his doors" he typically is giving up his license. So the stuff goes to the ATF.

However, in your case, if the doors close, but the licensee keeps his license, nothing changes. In today's world, it would be possible for the licensee to continue doing a brisk business in firearms simply by selling things on Gunbroker.

Has anyone explored adding a fixed mag mod to a lower? Super gay but it's at least something. About CompMag

Yup, its probably legal. Nobody really knows. CA is on record as accepting firearms modified so that the mag can be removed when the rear pin is pulled out. So these kits are marketed as "CA Legal".

The reality is they are probably CT and MA legal. But people here are playing it safe and buying fixed mag lowers that truly require a tool to remove the magazine and can't be converted to function normally without machine work.

That is not correct.

When a licensee gives up his license, the licnesee must deliver to the ATF all the 4473s and bound books, multiple sale reports and all loss/theft reports. ATF is not allowed to digitize them or create a database from the data within.

Discontinue Being a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Your correction is incorrect. The licensee retains the records. At least, according to the ATF rep as told to me in person.

Your correction is incorrect. The licensee retains the records. At least, according to the ATF rep as told to me in person.
Some verbal info from a ATF examiner is about as good as you would get from the UPS driver. I was once told that a 07 could only sell what they made. Go by what's in the regs only. Jack.

From the ATF website: Discontinue Being a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Discontinue Being a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL)
When an FFL discontinues business, the FFL must send their firearms transactions records to the National Tracing Center (NTC). The NTC receives an average of 1.2 million out-of-business records per month and is the only repository for these records within the United States.

Records can be mailed to the NTC or, alternatively, they may be delivered to your local ATF Office in order to comply with laws for surrendering records (which include all bound log books/acquisition & disposition books and computer printouts, ATF Form 4473’s, Theft/Loss Reports, Multiple Sales Reports, and Brady forms).

Please direct all further questions concerning firearms out-of-business records to the NTC.

Last Reviewed September 22, 2016

Back
Top Bottom