• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Lower Refinishing

I finally got my hands on a pre-ban lower, the problem is that is looks like hell. Scratches, dings and rubs everywhere. Has anyone ever sent a lower out for refinishing and if so where? The lower looks like hell and with its new and expensive hardware I would love to see it looking equally as nice, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need a place that does hard anodizing. The ones that come to mind are custom paintball smiths.

What type of finish are you looking for?

Original black phosphate finish or aftermarket finish like GunKote/DuraCoat/etc?

ZHA does GunKote refinishing, but I have no idea about the cost, quality or turn around time.

Depending on how important aesthetics are to you, you'll have to get the entire firearm refinished if you want an even overall appearance (regardless of the finish).

You need a place that does hard anodizing. The ones that come to mind are custom paintball smiths.

Only problem with that is the paintball smith/shop taking possession of the lower has to be an FFL (if shipping out of state).

Yep, and that's the rub there. Although some of them (like the guy who created the semi-auto paintball gun) were/are gunsmiths too.

What kind of lower is it? (brand-wise?)

Thank you very much for the responses everyone. The lower that I bought had some "character" when I bought it and then I stepped in...

I was beyond pissed at myself yesterday as I was stripping down the lower to send off for SBR engraving and after 2 hours of working carefully to not knick or mar anything. And then I managed to get the punch stuck when removing the bolt catch roll pin. I can't even put words around how pissed I was, I knew that I was using not the best set of punches and of course in stead of stopping there... well you get the point.

http://patomalley.org/images/ar_ughthisisgoingtocostme.jpg

Being pig headed is going to cost me, but my biggest stress was that I was probably going to end up doing it myself.

Thanks again! In 6-8 weeks when the backorder on the uppers clears I will have a fine looking rifle posted up in the pictures thread.

Back
Top Bottom