• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR love/hate curiosity

Over 40 Under 40 pos/neg view of AR15 platform

• Total voters
I'm 26, and literally all of my shooting buddies that are my age have between 1 and 10 AR's.

I have never had someone my age say anything fudd-ish about the AR platform.

On the flip side, I have had a few older folks (other people at the range, gun store, etc.) mention that the AR platform does not appeal to them, and in a handful of instances go on to bash it.

My generation has used ARs in video games for years, and I think the combat veterans of my generation tend to have had more favorable experiences with the M4 than the Vietnam generation had with the M16. Plus, I find that a lot of my friends that are in to shooting got in to it for the first time after they graduated college and had some disposable income for a change. If you are new to firearms right now, the AR is a VERY attractive rifle, in terms of the price, availability, accessories, and "coolness".

Last edited:
I like the platform. Though I'm not big on the cheese grater rails, and tacti-cool weirdness. If I get another one, it'll be a straight up A2 National match.

I like the platform. Though I'm not big on the cheese grater rails, and tacti-cool weirdness. If I get another one, it'll be a straight up A2 National match.

You can get handguards that are not cheese graters that are still free floating. Go with either a tube, or something like the Midwest Industries handguards. Diamnondhead also makes nice handguards that are not cheese graters. I'd avoid drop-in handguards at all costs (now that I know).

A better sample size would be an anonymous poll of members of a gun club with old and new members.

NES doesn't have much of a Fudd contingent.

- - - Updated - - -

To add, the AR might not be a gun some people love, but few people HATE it.

Like some people hate Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas.

Just south of 4511/12.

Buy what you can afford.....

Shoot because you love it.....

I love my AR's (.223&.308)....

I love my surps (Swiss, Swedish & Yugos)......

I also love my wife's old field hockey stick which will put a perfect dent in anyone's head!!

49yo and have two ARs... a preban A2 and an LMT MRP CQB...gun thingy. I like them but prefer the older 'steel and wood' rifles. M1 and M14s are my favorites.
The last range day...
The earliest and latest 'assault weapons'...

only good things that come in Aluminum are beer cans and lawn chairs. There is no place for plastics on a battle rifle.

nupaze5u.jpg

?

I never really gave 'em much thought as I was building my large MBR semi-auto collection over 15 years. ARs never really entered into my mind as I enjoyed fiddling with the dozens wood-stocked beauties from around the world. Then, after the collection was completed with the acquisition of the last two holy-grails, I decided to sell it off bit by bit and got involved with the AR family. Why? Because the damned things are so freakishly accurate, easy to maintain, and modern in every sense of the word. I invested in a few of them, building them all and purchasing one in .308. IT has become my go-to beauty as it is an outstanding piece of equipment. I still admire and love the older rifles. I really do. But, the AR is something that we'll have for many years because of the easy maintenance and excellent ammo available. And, yes, I still have a handful of what I consider the best of the old-world rifles that can sell be seen on the battle fields around the globe. They are still quite functional and accurate but the new ARs are just impressive.

Rome

49yo and have two ARs... a preban A2 and an LMT MRP CQB...gun thingy. I like them but prefer the older 'steel and wood' rifles. M1 and M14s are my favorites.
The last range day...
The earliest and latest 'assault weapons'...

Can you tac reload with that longer one? [grin]

How many battle proven rifles can you hand a 12 year old girl who never shot a rifle and weighs like 40# and have her shoot it, with iron sights, hit her target at 25 yards, and beg to shoot it again? Love the AR platform.

How many battle proven rifles can you hand a 12 year old girl who never shot a rifle and weighs like 40# and have her shoot it, with iron sights, hit her target at 25 yards, and beg to shoot it again? Love the AR platform.

drc_child_soldier_blog.jpg

AK - #1 choice for child soldiers everywhere [rofl] ok, no more, I'm leaving this thread, you guys talk about superiority of .40 over 9 [rofl]

I'm over 40 and voted negative view of AR.......but keep in mind.......I only worry about ME. I have so much time behind an M16/M4 with over 20 years in the army it just gets mundane. That is the only reason......you wanna get an AR and hang shit all the **** over it......you do what you do.......but me personally I'll save the hundreds I'd spend on tac rail stuff on other guns........and ammo! :)

only good things that come in Aluminum are beer cans and lawn chairs. There is no place for plastics on a battle rifle.
First thing I did after I voted was scroll through the post looking for your response [rockon]

An AR is like a. Kit car ... I wish I had had a high performance Lego car but opted for the 4 door delta 88 so I could get laid

Mid 50's and like to shoot anything.
The "What I shoot is the only good kind " thing is a symptom of dickheaditis, not age.
He probably thinks whatever car he is driving should be the only one your supposed to have too.

I'm Aproaching 60 love my Garand and other Milsurps ,after trying a AR belonging to a younger member I decided I had to have one and I love it. If it has Tits , wheels or shoots ammo I like it. An AR is no louder than a 303, 30.06., or any other old wood gun . If you want Quiet go to the Library, Not The Range .Just my 2 cents.

Apparently one of the 12 people that voted having a negative view of AR's is member at your range.

I like guns. I like 'em all. I see one, I want to take it home with me, or maybe build one myself just for added amusement.

People who get all bunched up over this-or-that gun - they need to relax and go shoot something.

Well today (over 40 here) I hate my AR. Broke the cheap buffer detent spring and the rifle refused to cycle consistently (didn't know what happened until I got home)

Hateing day today.

I have been shooting for about 18yrs and always had pistols, when the Fake scare on the AR's came about I bought an M&P sport for 599.99 at FS on tax free weekend. Bought Magpul furniture and it really changed the look, it was a Deal and a great shooter IMOP with never getting a Hiccup. I never wanted to build one and figured that was it.Yea right, doesn't happen when your on this site..So I bought a spikes lower from the group Buy at On Target Firearms (Good guy) and bought everything spikes for it and I really like it a lot, ---> View attachment 110268after that I bought another lower (PSA) from Johnny (super nice guy)at Precision Point and this time I kept it on a Lower budget and all PSA in FDE ,----> View attachment 110269 another great shooter so if done right it will serve you well and give you 0 Problems. Now I got into AK's and 1st bought an OPAP and was nice but not comfortable for me so I sold it and said this time I'm going up and bought an Arsenal SAM7 and LOVE THE THING a lot.---> View attachment 110270..And love shooting the 7.62 round. So for me the AR is great for a precision shot but the AK is just FUN to me....

Back
Top Bottom