• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR issue

xero2099

NES Member
i have been having issues with my Ar since day one its was one i put together so its been a side project. it has many problems it will have failure to feed issues, wont lock back on last round, it will jam and wont go fully into battery with a magazine inserted. as far as trouble shooting I have usgi 20 rounders I have been using, they all work fine on my Brothers AR so i know its not the mags. I am using a spikes t3 heavy buffer, i have tried it in my Bros Ar as well and it works fine. I have tried his complete upper(bcg,charging handle) on my lower and everything works fine. I then tried my complete upper on his lower and the issues followed it. I completely cleaned my upper and lubed the crap out of my bcg and tried again on both lowers it still jams or wont go into battery. the last thing i tried was using the bcg form my bros Ar on my upper and everything was working fine. so it looks like there is an issue with my bcg. is there a way to trouble shoot and fix it or am i better off getting an new one?

Last edited:
Feed ramp issue? Any pics?

da53426937b0041ae088ba5ea6b86dac.jpg
here is a pic

Sent from behind enemy lines using carrier pigeons

What ammo have you run?
Did you try a lighter buffer? standard carbine maybe

Who made the bcg ? Is the gas key secured properly?

Did you gauge the chamber with a go no go gauge? From your photo the chamber looks to be a little scuffed. Your brothers bolt carrier group might have a little more clearance than yours. If yours is a little tighter that could be the problem right there. I would put a gauge on the chamber.

Try your brother's BCG only, with your upper and lower. If that works, next try only his bolt in your BCG. If that works, there's your problem. What is the source of your bolt / BCG?

Edit

If not the bolt, maybe a chamber issue . Do you have a special chamber, such as .223 Wylde, etc?

Last edited:
What ammo have you run?
Did you try a lighter buffer? standard carbine maybe

Who made the bcg ? Is the gas key secured properly?
for ammo i have tried federal green tip and another brand called Independence, it was an a2 stock that came with a buffer and spring I still have the buffer i will try that

- - - Updated - - -

Try your brother's BCG only, with your upper and lower. If that works, next try only his bolt in your BCG. If that works, there's your problem. What is the source of your bolt / BCG?

the BCG was from PSA from a year or two ago, this has been a side project so it been sitting around it is a .223 Wylde Chamber barrel

Last edited:
you said you have a spikes T3 buffer. That is for a carbine buffer tube. The tube, spring, and buffer are different for a rifle stock (the A2 you mentioned)

you said you have a spikes T3 buffer. That is for a carbine buffer tube. The tube, spring, and buffer are different for a rifle stock (the A2 you mentioned)

Yes It was a a2 kit from psa

Spike T3? why so heavy?

I had a PSA BCG that gave me the issues you are speaking of and I sent it back, bought an AIM NIBx one and has been 100% Flawless in 3k rounds shooting any ammo

Spike T3? why so heavy?

I had a PSA BCG that gave me the issues you are speaking of and I sent it back, bought an AIM NIBx one and has been 100% Flawless in 3k rounds shooting any ammo

I got a good deal on it at the time I got all the parts during the panic and I'm now just getting around to putting it all together

I would just get another BCG, seems like there is an issue. I had a similar problem with a 308 BCG and it turns out the extractor pin hole was way out of spec and it the extractor body was way out of position and causing a lot of drag.

I would just get another BCG, seems like there is an issue. I had a similar problem with a 308 BCG and it turns out the extractor pin hole was way out of spec and it the extractor body was way out of position and causing a lot of drag.

I'm gonna hit the range with my bros bcg and dump about a few mags through it if it works I'll end up getting a new one

I'm gonna hit the range with my bros bcg and dump about a few mags through it if it works I'll end up getting a new one

If you want to save some cash, make sure it's not just the bolt.

Any pictures of the rifle?
I'm still wondering why a heavy buffer.
What length gas system.

Your problem is your bolt is not going into battery, correct.

Now before you go getting all crazy sealing parts. Start with simple things.
A close inspection of what would keep your bolt from closing completely.
The first thing I do with any malfunctioning gun is clean and inspect all parts. Check for flaws and make sure everything is OK.
When it comes to ARs simple swap upers and lowers with a known good platform.

Now you say your rifle doesn't go into full battery.
Does it Only happen when shooting?
What happens when you just rack the charging handle.
I'm not a professional so take this as only my personal experience.
So far other other than a few really visable defective parts all the problemed ARs I have touched where caused by operator error.
In my short 10 years around ARs I have found 2 common problems.
1. New owners do not clean the factory anti corrosive compound off the rifles and parts.
2. Over lube.

I think I may have found problem
5543c7a410134815873d740181c38c9a.jpg
the bcg on the left is my original one the one on the right is the working one my carrier i looks like the upper left edge is worn off, or wasnt machined right

Last edited:
Yes It was a a2 kit from psa

So you have a T3 buffer in a A2 stock...you don't need such a heavy buffer on a A2 I assume you have a A2 rifle = a 20" rifle length gas system and A2 stock and receiver extension?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I may have found problem
5543c7a410134815873d740181c38c9a.jpg
the bcg on the left is my original one the one on the right is the working one my carrier doesn't look the same as the working one

Is that grease all over your BCG?
I'm not so sure what you think might be that different from the 2 that would impeed function?

So you have a T3 buffer in a A2 stock...you don't need such a heavy buffer on a A2 I assume you have a A2 rifle = a 20" rifle length gas system and A2 stock and receiver extension?

- - - Updated - - -

yes looks worse since i have had my hands all over it this morning. its a 16" carbine length barrel and gas system

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not so sure what you think might be that different from the 2 that would impeed function?
on the top left of the carrier on the one one the left the edge is different from the one on the right

not seeing what you are describing, and no need for grease on an AR15. Oil only
clean that thing up

please say that is froglube...

Are you talking about that slight angle cut into the front of the carrier?
carrier.jpg

And yeah that much grease is a crud magnet. Lube the contact points.

AR15BoltCarrierLubePoints-1.jpg

Holy greasy! I'd clean it off and see how it runs..
Agree start over complete detail strip and clean...... did you lube your buffer tube also?
Funny the one place a micro touch of grease might help is on the flat on the bottom of the bolt where it rides over the hammer and theres none....

theres no need for grease really
CLP applied to non friction points just enough so you can barely see it, Generously to friction points which is "wet" enough to spread with finger. IF your going to use grease just a touch on the finger tip and applied to leading edge of locking lugs and BCG rails is more than enough.

Last edited:
Read the info. The 2nd bcg works perfectly and his original one has issues and there looks like bad machining work. It is probably OOS.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Read the info. The 2nd bcg works perfectly and his original one has issues and there looks like bad machining work. It is probably OOS.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The 2nd BCG shown is not drowning in grease.
Clean the shit out of the original BCG look for any shiny spots or damage. Strip the BCG and the known good bolt and do a side by side inspection.
Or just toss in a BCG from a known manufacture

I think it needs more grease. I would take your grease gun and and hold the tube on the muzzle and pump it until you see grease come out the mag well.

Back
Top Bottom