• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR in x39?

Good to know, I have heard similar issues with the hammer spring but figured I'd wait to see how it works out of the box first. I ordered 2000 Red Arm Standard which I think is just Tula.

It's interesting that its only apparent in the 30's not the 10's though. Maybe a different follower? Any experience with the AR Stoner 30's, new ones? I'm hoping those would work reliably in a free state.

What gas system are you using and buffer weights? I have a carbine length gas system, standard carbine spring and buffer, and I ordered an H buffer as well.

I've read alot of people have issues with the gas port size and end up drilling it out. Again, I want to wait and see how mine runs out of the box, but curious if you had to address this?

So mine is just the standard 16" upper from Bear Creek Arsenal in x39. I guess its carbine length but I'm not sure. I just swap it out on my pre-ban lower that has a carbine spring/buffer and collapsible stock in it. Nothing special there. Literally the same setup I use with a 223 carbine upper. Never had to mess with any part of the upper, it just ran out of the box.

The magazine problem is because of the curve in the 30 rounder vs the straight body of the 10 rounder. The rounds don't really negotiate the curve in the 30 rounder. Never tried the Stoner since I'm in MA.

Four Seasons just got a Yuko SKS the other day, $599
I dont think I plan to pay a penny over $400 for an SKS. $300 is what I’d prefer. I realize those days may be gone, but that’s just how I feel. I’ll build or import other better weapons at higher prices if need be.
You can build two new ar's for the price of a used ak. Not an easy buy these days. Any other circumstances i would agree with you 100%
This

I remember paying $350 for a Norinco SKS at Four Seasons back in 2012 or 2013. Looking back I definitely overpaid (at the time) but it was in nice shape. Didn’t know any better as a noob gun owner.

I had one.. it had feeding issues I dumped it.. i don't miss it lol.

I did however swap a Canik plus a hundred bucks for an mpcore with optic. Sold the optice traded the core for the rifle plus an eotech. Then sold the rifle for 650 and the eotech for 425. So I came out ahead in the deal.

the 2 i built run...and run...and run. i have a bear creek upper that's a side charge design and a hardened arms that is in the traditional charging handle design. as i said before, i'm the luckiest man alive with firearms, mine work. i can't remember the last time i took a 5.56 ar to the range. i use asc mags cause that's all i could find. not too excited about their metal body construction, seems flimsy. more so than a usgi metal mag. in all honesty, i had one mag that gave me fits with feeding and it looked like the sides were bowed a bit. had it exchanged and all is well. i wish p-mag would do these, i'd be a happier man. right now i think the mags are the weak link with an ar in 7.62x39. you also need a firing pin beefed up for the hard primers found on commie ammo. i bought several and an ectra x39 bolt just in case.

there have been a few x39 uppers for sale here for under $400. if i didn't already have mine i would have bought one. granted, they are basically a novelty. and i had already built four 5.56 ar rifles up and own 2 store bought, i just wanted something different. as i said, i believe the mags are the weak link now, i haven't seen any in polymer, so the asc's are all i got. make no mistake, i call mine range toys. if i were to get serious...say the africans are burning and looting my hood, out would come the colt ar or if i wanted to do the x39 route, the arsenal 7. would i trust my x39 kit guns? if i had to, they've given me no reason yet to doubt them.

There are fundamental problems w 7.62x39 in an AR Including weakened bolt lugs/face and a straight magazine trying to accommodate the tapered case. The one upper I built ran well but was mag picky. ASC 10 rd mags worked well. Then somewhere around 1500 rounds a bolt lug sheared off (not surprising). Windham kindly provided a replacement bolt but not long after the same problem again.

its a fun setup but has inherent limitations. Personally I prefer to put 7.62x39 through my Ruger American Ranch bolt gun so I’ve no use for an AR in this chambering.

My buddy just bought a bear creek arsenal x39 upper. So C-Products and ASC are the "go-to" recommended mags for x39 ARs huh?

ASC mags required tweaking in my experience. C products duramags were good to go out of the box. My understanding is that 20’s and 28’s are preferred. The 30rd duramags are earlier versions and I can’t say for sure If they are g2g. The newest generation with all the right tweaks is marketed as a 28rd mag. Get that one.

ASC mags required tweaking in my experience. C products duramags were good to go out of the box. My understanding is that 20’s and 28’s are preferred. The 30rd duramags are earlier versions and I can’t say for sure If they are g2g. The newest generation with all the right tweaks is marketed as a 28rd mag. Get that one.
We’re in MA and I dunno if he wants to risk having a “high cap” mag. He ordered the 10 rounders for now.

Just for fun I bought a complete AR-Stoner 7.62X39 carbine kit from Midway for $320 (including an 80% lower). Did a pin/weld of a $17 break and pinned the stock to make it MA compliant. I’ve only used the 10 round straight body mags with it but it seems to work OK, not that I use it very much. I prefer my AK if I’m shooting 7.62X39.

What's everyone running for buffer and springs on their x39 upper?? My buddy still hasn't shot his yet and he's an AR noob so I suspect he'll have to play around with buffers/springs.
I don't know what came (for buffer/springs) in the complete lower he bought last week.

What's everyone running for buffer and springs on their x39 upper?? My buddy still hasn't shot his yet and he's an AR noob so I suspect he'll have to play around with buffers/springs.
I don't know what came (for buffer/springs) in the complete lower he bought last week.

Standard carbine springs. 16” carbine gas has standard buffer. 10.5” carbine gas needed a very light buffer. I forget oz but light.

The same thing I use for a 223 carbine, I don't change it when I change uppers. Be more concerned about the hammer spring if he's using Ruskie ammo

308 setup. Stiff charging but smooth shooting, even with carbine gas.

I swear I saw you saying to get 10 round PMags for Glocks. Am I wrong here?

Yeah, for people that want/need them. They work.

Also, different ballgame from an AR with a fixed mag lower, which is nearly unusable.

I know @djbradles has one. He's def. the first guy i am going to consult if i ever get drunk enough to suddenly think it's a good idea to build one. [laugh]

Last edited:
Yeah, for people that want/need them. They work.

Also, different ballgame from an AR with a fixed mag lower, which is nearly unusable.

I know @djbradles has one. He's def. the first guy i am going to consult if i ever get drunk enough to suddenly think it's a good idea to build one. [laugh]
I got you covered bro

Carbine length Dpms spring and buffer with a Brownells x39 bcg.

Most of this has been said before I'm sure. I had a 14.5 P/W upper in X39. I had to get an extended firing pin to make it work with any X39 ammo. Had to mess with my buffer system to get it just right. After that I had no issues with it. Barrel was a thick bull style barrel and it shot great, never should have sold it.

Low capacity mags are ok for what they are. Hard to run reload drills at full speed with baby mags but for everything else it was a fun gun.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
There are fundamental problems w 7.62x39 in an AR Including weakened bolt lugs/face and a straight magazine trying to accommodate the tapered case. The one upper I built ran well but was mag picky. ASC 10 rd mags worked well. Then somewhere around 1500 rounds a bolt lug sheared off (not surprising). Windham kindly provided a replacement bolt but not long after the same problem again.

Can you elaborate? Is this a problem universally ? or only in like overgassed guns etc? or only because most people are running poverty grade 762 x 39 BCG?

As much as I have disdain for this platform, I am curious about what makes it so horrible. I only ever saw guns f***ing up, but not the "why". [laugh]

Can you elaborate? Is this a problem universally ? or only in like overgassed guns etc? or only because most people are running poverty grade 762 x 39 BCG?

As much as I have disdain for this platform, I am curious about what makes it so horrible. I only ever saw guns f***ing up, but not the "why". [laugh]

The lug issue is because it’s a bolt designed for 5.56 hogged out to 7.62. Less material on the lugs, hence weaker. Shot for shot the 7.62 will break sooner

it’s been discussed on forums for a long time now. to,accommodate the x39 into an AR the bolt face has to be enlarged. The lugs are poorly supported. My Wyndham weaponry factory x39 AR would shear bolt lugs constantly. Thankfully Windham CS was great and would replace the bolt for me every time, but it got annoying to the point that i replaced the barrel with a 16” BCM mid length which was a good move.

The magazine is the other issue. Tapered cases in a straight mag It’s simply not going to run as reliably as a 5.56/300 blockout. One can see just by loading them, the rounds do not fit snugly up against each other. There is a tendency for the top rounds to nosedive. i found ASC 10 round mags to be the most reliable, which seems to be the general consensus.

CMMG built the Mk47 (previously called the mutant) to address the above Issues. It runs a larger 308 / SR-25 sized bolt face but with an AR-15 length BCG. the bolts last forever. They also built the rifle to run on AK Mags which is The only way to run those rounds reliably. The error, in my opinion, was they kept an AR style charging handle which is annoying in the absence of a LSHO. They should have built it with a side charger on either side.

Setting aside the disadvantages of an AR in 7.62x39, they are still soft shooting, pleasant and definitely more accurate than an AK. as a fun/project gun they have a place. But as a purpose rifle no thanks. Personally if i wanted a fun and accurate rifle in 7.62x39 i would go with either a ruger American ranch, howa mini action or a CZ 527.

now I’m sure there are people out there who have never encountered a single bobble with their AR in 7.62x39 but i also don’t believe they’re shooting all that much. The 6.5 grendel actually suffers from similar issues as the 7.62x39 but not quite as severe.

Back
Top Bottom