• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR in x39?

I run an Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2 (4.7 oz.) in my 7.62x39mm carbine (16" barrel) and it works quite well. The SRS is a two stage combined buffer/spring assembly. They also offer an H3 (5.6 oz.) version that might be better for an over gassed SBR. In any case you can oder alternate weights from the manufacturer.

Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2
Very cool! Thank you for chiming in. This looks like another great option. Seems similar to the JP buffer spring kit. Only much more affordable 😂

Very cool! Thank you for chiming in. This looks like another great option. Seems similar to the JP buffer spring kit. Only much more affordable 😂
Yup, that is one of their big claims to fame. Also, I prefer the Armaspec dual spring approach to JP’s spring and dampener.

I run an Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2 (4.7 oz.) in my 7.62x39mm carbine (16" barrel) and it works quite well. The SRS is a two stage combined buffer/spring assembly. They also offer an H3 (5.6 oz.) version that might be better for an over gassed SBR. In any case you can oder alternate weights from the manufacturer.

Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2
Snagged the Armaspec H2 and also the H3 weights. The H2 setup seem to work well when I tried it today. At some point I’ll try to figure out disassembling the buffer to install the H3 weight.

I made sure to look at the case rims more carefully today. Definitely getting gouged/scraped from the extractor. EC6B08C5-8F55-4741-A926-1FBD52E90120.jpeg

I'm fully convinced that Wolf x39 is SOLID ammo. I have the KS47 fully dialed in on both magpul steel sights and the pinty red dot, and I have the trigger squeeze down pat. At 50yds benched and really concentrating, I put a 1 inch hole from 6 rounds on iron sights. 1 inch! It went from 1.5-2 after that. I don't think its the x39 round thats inaccurate, I think its the AK platform thats inaccurate.

I'm fully convinced that Wolf x39 is SOLID ammo. I have the KS47 fully dialed in on both magpul steel sights and the pinty red dot, and I have the trigger squeeze down pat. At 50yds benched and really concentrating, I put a 1 inch hole from 6 rounds on iron sights. 1 inch! It went from 1.5-2 after that. I don't think its the x39 round thats inaccurate, I think its the AK platform thats inaccurate.
Agreed. I love Wolf/Tula ammo in my AR. No complaints from me.
I haven’t put mine on paper in awhile but it rings my 8" steel plate at 120 yards. Good enough for me 😂

Agreed. I love Wolf/Tula ammo in my AR. No complaints from me.
I haven’t put mine on paper in awhile but it rings my 8" steel plate at 120 yards. Good enough for me 😂
That's 2MOA from mass-produced commercial 7.62x39. I'd be happy with that!!! Nice shooting. AK irons definatley seem to be a limiting factor of the accuracy of the platform... seeing how the front sight post itself it like 10" at 100yd/ 10 MOA.........

I've been getting ~2-3" groups with the Tula (boxed in Wolf and Red Army white box) with an AK, and I can't notice much of a difference in accuracy between this "cheap stuff" and Barnaul/Bishkek/Vympel. Heck, it could have been a fluke but the tightest group at 100yd I got with an AK was with the Tula/Wolf. As far as practical accuracy goes, I don't see why some people knock it. I used to be a hater thinking it was cheap junk and unreliable, I was wrong.

Agree, all the benefits of the AK are diminished by its inherent lack of accuracy.

Ran some brass ammo thru my 8" pistol build a couple of weeks ago with no issues other than you can't load the magazines fully.

a $184 item for a x39 $250 AR upper? serrriosly? :)

Well that adjustable gas key is certainly $25 cheaper than the $75 JP Enterprises adjustable gas block. But I have the JP gas block already, so I’ll stay with it.

But more to the point of my post - adjustable gas systems really work great for a -39mm AR build!

So... does it?

Sounds like the accuracy is good.

Which one do you have again? Grid/Ghost?
If you skim through this thread I’ve posted about the upper. It’s functioned fine so far but I have blown through a few extractors which is common with ARs in x39 from what I hear. I just have spare extractors on hand. And bear creek will send replacement extractors at no cost.

I believe it’s this one that I have. 10.5" side charger BCA-15, 7.62x39, 10.5" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 1:10 Twist, Carbine Length Gas System, 10" MLOK Rail|New MLOK Side Charging Upper(Gen 2)

So I want to keep training, and I don't want to switch platforms to AK, and I don't want to burn through my stockpile nor do I want to pay the price that 5.56 is going for.

Naturally, I decided to build a frankengun, and will be building an AR Pistol in 7.62x39.

I found a nice build kit for $489, seems to be pro2a anti tyranny in terms of shipping, and the only complaint I have is the crappy pistol tube brace that will become something sensible like an SBA3/4 brace.

Specs on the build kit
  • Made in the USA
  • Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit
  • Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Upper Receiver with Dust Cover and Forward Assist
  • 10.5" 1:10 Twist 4150 Barrel with Black Nitride Finish
  • Chambered in 7.62X39
  • Carbine Length Gas System
  • .750 Low Profile Gas Block
  • 10" Free Float M-LOK Hand Guard
  • Bolt Carrier Group
  • Charging Handle
STONER 10rd mags for compliance. I believe there are a 30 round variety for when I live in a free state as well.

Questions:

Anyone ran a setup like this? Do you like it?
Would an A2 flash hider make it not "terrible" in terms of blast/flash? My 10.5 5.56 is pretty tolerable with an A2?
Are there any better suggestions than a MA-Lock for complying with the fixed mag requirements of MA? Something that meets the requirements but is a little easier to reload than breaking the action with a takedown pin every 10 rounds?
Mag issues? Suggestions?
What about buffer and spring weights? Any advice? Thinking maybe I want a heavy buffer?
I have a colt sporter lightweight chambered in 7.62x39. Honestly, i prefer the thing to my "standard" AR's. Hi-cap mags are a legit concern. I've picked up a few modified AK frankenmags that work better than off the shelf USA. Any modern 10 rd mag works fine, Duramags are my go-to. Once you find good mags, you'll love it. Don't listen to the doom & gloomers.

Tardy range report on on of my AR47s.
Pistol with 8" barrel. Can't remember off hand who the manufacturer was. Bought the upper from SG for like $279.
PSA lower.
Ran nice with brass ammo!
Me likey.
Need to try out the 16" carbines on brass. Issues clambering steel cased have slowed progress down.

Has anyone ever tinkered with a 18+ inch barrel using x39? I'm wondering if the extra muzzle velocity will help push the bullet out to 300yds

Has anyone ever tinkered with a 18+ inch barrel using x39? I'm wondering if the extra muzzle velocity will help push the bullet out to 300yds
what do you mean? is it not flying to 300yds now? extra 100-150fps will not change anything too dramatic. accuracy will not improve much neither, but, it will get to 300. why would it not?

x39 has basically all of its powder burned off at a 16.xx" bbl (standard AK) 7.62x39 doesn't get a performance boost from a longer barrel the way 5.56 does. You lose maybe 100fps going from 20" to 16" so the bullet doesn't interact with the target differently coming out of either rifle. The longer barrel will have a marginal improvement at longer ranges.

A shorter 16" AK barrel should actually be more accurate because it will be stiffer, less harmonics, etc. idk how this could translate to AR but good for reference... but the longer sight radius on the 20" rpk or AR irons bbl may help you shoot more accurately due to a longer sight radius, but on an X39 AR with an optic, hitting at 300yd is definitely gonna require a bit of a holdover. Literally 2 feet if you have a 50 or 100yd zero.
Screenshot_20220613-122420_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom