• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR in x39?

Possibly. The true test will be to fire loaded rounds and see.
If this does work and doesn’t end up piercing primers I’ll have to put a note somewhere reminding me which firing pin I have in it. For when I’m shooting Tula/Wolf
Well that did absolutely nothing to help😂
Just got home from the range. I emailed Rose Armament and they don’t offer a hammer spring any heavier than the one they sent me previously.

I see Wolff makes an extra power hammer spring. No idea if it’s any stronger than the one Rise sent me. May order one to try out.

Good hits but these primers are f***ing hard!
C8C91C61-42DF-47F3-B549-6FDDBF39414E.jpeg

Attachments

• A7FA7801-0888-4267-8AD3-264E7F17D029.jpeg
    A7FA7801-0888-4267-8AD3-264E7F17D029.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 0
I got a ton of this ammo but wondering if I should find someone willing to trade Tula/Wolf/Barnaul x39 for it. Or just save it for the AK…

Rise told me I could try bending the hammer spring forward to give it more power. May try that but I’m doubtful it will work.

I got a ton of this ammo but wondering if I should find someone willing to trade Tula/Wolf/Barnaul x39 for it. Or just save it for the AK…

Rise told me I could try bending the hammer spring forward to give it more power. May try that but I’m doubtful it will work.
When I first got the KS47, I put in JP springs in the trigger group without thinking twice. Big mistake.
1.) It was getting light strikes like crazy.
2.) The trigger pull was too light for my taste. The original was way better (and actually a good trigger in general terms).

x39 definitely needs a harder hit than 223, but only slightly. I fired some GT from the MAK today and had 0 problems.

you need to install that to see if you can destroy it or not
Well I had been running the S5 tool steel black rifle arms extractor and it broke today. No way I have anymore than 450ish rounds on it I’d guess.
And to think the BCA lasted like 1200 rounds…

Maybe I’ll toss in the WMB NiB bolt and see how long it lasts like you recommended🤣
I also noticed it broke the extractor retaining pin😮. That’s original. I never installed the new one that BCA sent me😂
79FA0FAF-0D2A-4785-9015-41691EACE108.jpeg E45AF897-350D-4AD8-9A7D-EB7F5CDB7277.jpeg E39CF645-E633-483F-AB66-D3A510B9415C.jpeg

Oh and to add insult to injury I also managed to break my Taurus TX22 slide…I’ll be updating that thread shortly🤣

What’s also weird is now black rifle arms says their extractor does not work with bear creek arsenal bolts?…
I’m wondering if the tolerances/dimensions are just different enough that it caused undue stress which not only broke the extractor claw but also the retaining pin?…
4E8027F2-1B08-41ED-A598-D3C536181E85.png

my bet is that your extractor pin was broken first and this cause the extractor to engage too firmly against the case rim. Seems unlikely they’d break simultaneously. also good to know the black rifle arms extractor functions in BCA bolt, although if only 450 rounds to failure perhaps something is off. Maybe on next replacement check the rim engagement. My guess is that with a new extractor pin the BRA extractor will last longer.

surprised your bolt lugs haven’t sheared off yet. That’s good since extractor replacements are cheap. I just acquired two KAK x39 extractors to have on hand. as I’ve posted in the past, the AR in x39 is a problem child no matter how it’s built!

my bet is that your extractor pin was broken first and this cause the extractor to engage too firmly against the case rim. Seems unlikely they’d break simultaneously. also good to know the black rifle arms extractor functions in BCA bolt, although if only 450 rounds to failure perhaps something is off. Maybe on next replacement check the rim engagement. My guess is that with a new extractor pin the BRA extractor will last longer.

surprised your bolt lugs haven’t sheared off yet. That’s good since extractor replacements are cheap. I just acquired two KAK x39 extractors to have on hand. as I’ve posted in the past, the AR in x39 is a problem child no matter how it’s built!
It’s possible the pin broke sometime since I replaced the old extractor - no idea.

I don’t know what else could be “off” aside from it being Bear Creek Arsenal🤣

Rim engagement? Take the bolt out and slide a round into the bolt face to see how firm it holds the round?

Shit bolt lugs shearing off?! I’ll have to look into that too. That common with x39 bolts?

Rim engagement? Take the bolt out and slide a round into the bolt face to see how firm it holds the round?

yes. basically check the tension and degree of rim engagement with a case (or round) and the bolt.

Shit bolt lugs shearing off?! I’ll have to look into that too. That common with x39 bolts?

yes look at the two unsupported lugs adjacent the extractor. these are prone to shearing off even on a standard 5.56 bolt that has much more meat on the bolt. those 2 lugs on the edge of the x39 bolt have very little support. i've lost two windham x39 bolts in less than 1000 rounds. the fractured lug usually ends up in the fire control group although theoretically can get itself into the chamber and potentially create a barrel obstruction.

if a day ever comes that 300 blk is cheaper than 7.62x39, then there will truly be no point in the 7.62x39 AR.

yes. basically check the tension and degree of rim engagement with a case (or round) and the bolt.

yes look at the two unsupported lugs adjacent the extractor. these are prone to shearing off even on a standard 5.56 bolt that has much more meat on the bolt. those 2 lugs on the edge of the x39 bolt have very little support. i've lost two windham x39 bolts in less than 1000 rounds. the fractured lug usually ends up in the fire control group although theoretically can get itself into the chamber and potentially create a barrel obstruction.

if a day ever comes that 300 blk is cheaper than 7.62x39, then there will truly be no point in the 7.62x39 AR.
There looks like there might some deformation of the metal behind the lugs? No idea if it was always like that. See the semi circle marks behind each of the lugs.
FEEFAF7C-0CA2-4E2B-88F7-12E08BC1B2D4.jpeg 105EACBE-8C1D-4CCF-90A2-1FC0D9D79E74.jpeg

@andrew1220 deformation likely due to pressure on lugs during unlocking. Not sure it’s problematic. if anything the even wear looks good. The outer lugs will break at some point. bolts can be had for fairly cheap and I’m guessing you’ve got x39 headspace gauges to ensure GTG.

my x39 build is intentionally an 18” w mid length gas. I’m thinking the farther gas port - enabling later bolt unlocking - should generate less force on the extractor and lugs. now whether than translates into actual reliability enhancement I cannot yet say.

Conversely, the reason 300blk doesn't exist to me is because of x39 ;)

300 blk doesn’t exist to you because suppressors don’t exist to you. for suppressed or defensive purposes the 300 blk has a ton to offer. then again I don’t bother w anything other than 223 including suppressed because I’m a velocity whore. Anything that can break 3000 ft/s will give me a chubby.

Last edited:
There looks like there might some deformation of the metal behind the lugs? No idea if it was always like that. See the semi circle marks behind each of the lugs.
View attachment 583493View attachment 583494
I have an unused BCA x39 BCG and it shows the same half-moon impressions:
x39 bolt.jpg It seems that it might be part of their manufacturing process.

ETA: On further research I found this: "On CMT bolts, there is a little "half moon" cut where the endmill ran-off into the lug root”. So it does seem to be the result of the CNC programing.

Last edited:
@andrew1220 deformation likely due to pressure on lugs during unlocking. Not sure it’s problematic. if anything the even wear looks good. The outer lugs will break at some point. bolts can be had for fairly cheap and I’m guessing you’ve got x39 headspace gauges to ensure GTG.

my x39 build is intentionally an 18” w mid length gas. I’m thinking the farther gas port - enabling later bolt unlocking - should generate less force on the extractor and lugs. now whether than translates into actual reliability enhancement I cannot yet say.

300 blk doesn’t exist to you because suppressors don’t exist to you. for suppressed or defensive purposes the 300 blk has a ton to offer. then again I don’t bother w anything other than 223 including suppressed because I’m a velocity whore. Anything that can break 3000 ft/s will give me a chubby.
No headspace gauges. Maybe I should snag some.

The only other thing I changed recently was the buffer. I had been using a spikes tactical tungsten T2 buffer for a while (initial 1200 rounds) then tried a H3 buffer for a bit (300ish rounds) then went back to the spikes for the last 100ish rounds.

With the spikes the cases usually land at 3-4 o clock. With the H3 it’s like 1-2 o clock.

If anything I would imagine the heavier buffer would help slow down the action and enable later bolt unlocking? This is a 10.5" barrel with carbine gas.

I have an unused BCA x39 BCG and it shows the same half-moon impressions:
View attachment 583514It seems that it might be part of their manufacturing process.

ETA: On further research I found this: "On CMT bolts, there is a little "half moon" cut where the endmill ran-off into the lug root”. So it does seem to be the result of the CNC programing.
Thanks well that’s good to know. It did seem very uniform

These what you'd recommend for go no go gauges?

These what you'd recommend for go no go gauges?

I have both clymer and Forster gauges. Both seem Excellent.

No headspace gauges. Maybe I should snag some.

The only other thing I changed recently was the buffer. I had been using a spikes tactical tungsten T2 buffer for a while (initial 1200 rounds) then tried a H3 buffer for a bit (300ish rounds) then went back to the spikes for the last 100ish rounds.

With the spikes the cases usually land at 3-4 o clock. With the H3 it’s like 1-2 o clock.

If anything I would imagine the heavier buffer would help slow down the action and enable later bolt unlocking? This is a 10.5" barrel with carbine gas.

odd because heavier buffer should allow ejection more rearward as in closer to 5 o’clock. I don’t care for any setup that ejects 1 o’clock because it’s a sign of excessive bolt velocity. In this case a 10.5” carbine is going to have a shorter dwell time so the gas port is likely bigger. The result is more violent unlocking which is harder on extractor.

you may consider a Tubbs flat wire spring if the goal is to keep the action closed longer. The Tubbs springs achieve much more linear spring force such that the difference from breech closed to fully compressed (open) is minimal like 1-2 lbs. I use these springs on all suppressed rifles because it provides a touch longer lock time and thus less port pop / gas into action. They’re expensive but they last forever and are top notch quality.

View attachment 583493View attachment 583494

Looks like you're running your rifle awfully dry.

Also, if you are breaking extractors left and right, consider that the rifle is WAY over gassed.

That was after I cleaned the bolt thats why it’s dry. Hadn’t lubed it with Slip 2000 EWL yet.

Being a dirt cheap x39 10.5" setup, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s overgassed. Functions fine except for the extractors lol. I’ve only had a few failure to extract and feed.
Looks like you're running your rifle awfully dry.

Also, if you are breaking extractors left and right, consider that the rifle is WAY over gassed.

odd because heavier buffer should allow ejection more rearward as in closer to 5 o’clock. I don’t care for any setup that ejects 1 o’clock because it’s a sign of excessive bolt velocity. In this case a 10.5” carbine is going to have a shorter dwell time so the gas port is likely bigger. The result is more violent unlocking which is harder on extractor.

you may consider a Tubbs flat wire spring if the goal is to keep the action closed longer. The Tubbs springs achieve much more linear spring force such that the difference from breech closed to fully compressed (open) is minimal like 1-2 lbs. I use these springs on all suppressed rifles because it provides a touch longer lock time and thus less port pop / gas into action. They’re expensive but they last forever and are top notch quality.
That’s what is weird. Lighter buffer and they eject at 3-4 o clock which I thought was perfect?

I’ll checkout the Tubbs spring if you think it’s worthwhile to try.

Honestly if I break an extractor every 1200 rounds I wouldn’t care mainly because BCA just ships me a new one for free lol. But 400 rounds is lame.

I’m sure it’s the violent action mixed with steel case ammo that destroys the extractors

That’s what is weird. Lighter buffer and they eject at 3-4 o clock which I thought was perfect?

I’ll checkout the Tubbs spring if you think it’s worthwhile to try.

Honestly if I break an extractor every 1200 rounds I wouldn’t care mainly because BCA just ships me a new one for free lol. But 400 rounds is lame.

I’m sure it’s the violent action mixed with steel case ammo that destroys the extractors

Is the steel cased ammo showing tool marks from the extractor on the rims?

That’s not too expensive. I’ll snag one to try out

I am curious to see how long @andrew1220 bolt lugs etc hold up.

It's really too bad that nobody made like an AR-10-franken-lower thing , that say, took like AK mags but came with a big robust bolt/upper etc more suitable for x39. if someone had
come out with that 10-15 yrs ago would have been killer.

Of course we could be on the verge of "the end" of 762 x 39 cheap ammo as we know it. Sure non russians will make it, etc, but everyone is going to use this putin thing as an excuse to spike prices, unless he suddenly dies in office or something.

It's really too bad that nobody made like an AR-10-franken-lower thing , that say, took like AK mags but came with a big robust bolt/upper etc more suitable for x39. if someone had

Of course we could be on the verge of "the end" of 762 x 39 cheap ammo as we know it. Sure non russians will make it, etc, but everyone is going to use this putin thing as an excuse to spike prices, unless he suddenly dies in office or something.
Yeah after hearing what 92G said I’m surprised I haven’t busted the bolt lugs yet lol.

And yeah the cheap x39 ammo days are VERY limited. I’ve had quite a few packages arriving over the last few weeks with more to come. I can’t stockpile a lifetime supply of it but I’ll have years worth on hand

Good question. I didn’t examine the rims much but I’ll pay closer attention next time.

That is a primary point of inspection......Always save a dozen casings for close inspection, post range trip. It will tell you a lot about what is going on with gas, buffer, buffer spring and chamber issues.

thats the CMMG Mk47
LR-308 sized BCG
AK mags
it solves just about every issue

ive got a Mk47 lower but am yet to find an upper…and im not willing to drop the $$ CMMG asks for them

I run an Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2 (4.7 oz.) in my 7.62x39mm carbine (16" barrel) and it works quite well. The SRS is a two stage combined buffer/spring assembly. They also offer an H3 (5.6 oz.) version that might be better for an over gassed SBR. In any case you can oder alternate weights from the manufacturer.

Armaspec Stealth Recoil Spring H2

Back
Top Bottom