• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR in .338?

Urj

For some reason I'm dying to build an AR in .338 Lapua. I've got an AR in 5.56 already but I want something that can reach out there and put some hurt on whatever I'm point it at.

Is it possible to build an AR in .338 Lapua like you can with a 5.56? Anyone done it?

Yes. http://www.bohicaarms.com/ FAR-50 can be chambered in .338 Lapua. It's a single shot bolt action setup.

I know there's someone else out there that has a .50 bmg upper with a side mag, but I'm not sure if they have a conversion for .338 Lapua.

.338 Lapua won't fit in an AR10 or DPMS 308 style lower?

There goes that idea.

My general idea is that I want a long range precision semi auto with more punch and power than what a .308 offers with the ability to really mess up whatever it hits at distance, otherwise I'd just buy an M1A. I read that .338 Lapua was pretty much the perfect cartridge for that and flat shooting out past 1k yards.

I don't want a 50 cal anything. Any other ideas on what's the most similar cartridge to .338 Lapua that would exhibit the same characteristics? I haven't learned to associate ballistic tables with their practical meanings yet, so looking at numbers only tells me so much.

Bushmaster is in the process of bringing one out in .338 Lapua, but the lower is not a normal AR15 lower as it has a stretched magwell to allow for the larger rounds. Do a search on the web for "Bushmaster BA338".

I doubt you'll find a standard AR15 conversion that's Semi-auto with a round that'll blow a buffalo apart at a thousand yards.

Last edited:
I've just got to ask the question: when are you ever going to be shooting at 1000+yds?

The .308 is tried and true (and cheap), and will hit anything you are able to up to 1000yds.

I've just got to ask the question: when are you ever going to be shooting at 1000+yds?

The .308 is tried and true (and cheap), and will hit anything you are able to up to 1000yds.

Why do I have to have a reason? That's like why do you need a bicycle when a unicycle will get you where you're going.

My parents live in North Carolina. A friend of the family has acres upon acres of land we can shoot on. I have access to places I can shoot that distance. I never said I would only be using it to shoot a living being. Just that I'd like the round to really EFF something up when it gets where it's going. [smile]

As far as the Barrett - I'm not paying 4.5k for a gun. And I was hoping to build it myself.

What could I build from standard AR15 or AR10 parts that would approximate the .338? I assume the 6.8/6.5 isn't even close.

Last edited:
With 338LM the cheap part is the rifle. Look at Midway. Your looking at almost $100 for a box of 20. I'm sure you can reload it cheaper, but I bet the components are pricey.

B

Urj, a .338 Lapua is 93.5mm long. A .308 Win is 71mm long. So, a .338 Lapua round or magazine would never fit in the magwell. The action would need to handle a round that long also.

I'm sure an AR10-like gun could be made to accommodate that round but it won't be a common platform like the AR10 or AR15.

Have you considered a bolt action rifle in something like 7mm Rem Mag?

With 338LM the cheap part is the rifle. Look at Midway. Your looking at almost $100 for a box of 20. I'm sure you can reload it cheaper, but I bet the components are pricey.

B

And good luck finding it, trust me, even 250gr bullets are hard to find let alone 300gr bullets. Brass sells out quickly and is very expensive even in a free state.

Urj, a .338 Lapua is 93.5mm long. A .308 Win is 71mm long. So, a .338 Lapua round or magazine would never fit in the magwell. The action would need to handle a round that long also.

I'm sure an AR10-like gun could be made to accommodate that round but it won't be a common platform like the AR10 or AR15.

Have you considered a bolt action rifle in something like 7mm Rem Mag?

I am still using factory ammo but a friend that knows what he is talking about told me that a .338LM hand loaded to the lands, will not even fit properly in a Badger magazine for that cartridge. Again I have no first hand knowledge but his word is gold when it comes to firearms and ammunition.

Have you considered the 6.5 Grendel?

If your thinking 6.5 go for a 260Rem in an AR10 platform. It'll beat the pants of the .308 at those distances. If I were shooting those distances I would rather have a bolt action, but that's just me.

Cobb Manufacturing used to build AR's in .30-06 and .338 Lapua before they were bought out by Bushmaster... You may be able to find a used one if you look around enough.

I wish I could afford that 98Bravo. $4+ K for a gun isn't in the budget until I get through law school.

M1A is something I considered but even as uncommon as they are they're still pretty common. I was hoping to get something a little different from the norm, a little bit exotic and also something I could build myself.

Plus as good as .308 is at long range stuff it just doesn't excite me for some reason.

I wish I could afford that 98Bravo. $4+ K for a gun isn't in the budget until I get through law school.

M1A is something I considered but even as uncommon as they are they're still pretty common. I was hoping to get something a little different from the norm, a little bit exotic and also something I could build myself. < watch out for the bolt of lightning - ever seen one in an MCS? >

Plus as good as .308 is at long range stuff it just doesn't excite me for some reason.< blasphemy >

I'll let God know - he won't be happy....Enjoy hell...[devil]

What ever you get in .338 is going to be expensive wheither it be a bolt or semi auto system. Between shooting it or the initial investment. There is nothing wrong with .308. If youve mastered shooting to 1000m with .308 check out a .300 win mag. Its not as good for extended range, but it will allow you to push a few hundred meters past where the .308 dies. If you want to be shooting 2500m+ then get a .50. A bolt system is going to be much better than an semi auto except in a few certain systems. At that distance you need all the consistency in the weapon as you can get. Its not a friendly place. But if your not shit hot with a .308 under 1000m your going to be sucking with anything over it, and wasting money. Mcmillian, and manufacturers like that make the kind of weapon your looking for.

Back
Top Bottom