AR handguard

hey guys...i had a question...i have a bushmaster preban xm15-e2s-a3 rifle and its got a varminter handguard on it...i wanted to put a tactical handguard and acquired a surefire m73 handguard...i brought it to Zero Hour Arms to have them remove the old handguard and replace it with the surefire...they called me today saying that the handguard isnt appropriate for my rifle??? can this be??? heres a description of the m73 forend...maybe theres something im missing? im hoping you AR afficianados can help me out here

"The SureFire M73 Picatinny rail forend is a high-quality Picatinny forend that replaces the factory installed forends allowing you to add an assortment of accessories to your Colt, DPMS, Olympic Arms PCR, Rock River Arms or any modern rifle that has a 6 5/8 inch in length forend.

This picatinny rail system will repace any modern rifle forends that are 6 5/8 inch in length. Ideal for mounting the Universal Tac Light. This is the perfect platform for the Surefire M951 series Tac Lights. Easy to install, no special tools needed. "

heres a pic of rifle wit hthe current handguard

01_30_3.jpg

That's all they said... that it's not "appropriate"?

As jack01730 posted, maybe it's the barrel nut, but that's a $5.00- $8.00 item at most and easily replaced. It would also need an A2 style front handguard end cap... another $2.00 - $3.00.

I have a Surefire rail system installed on my RRA M4rgery and it was a snap to install. It snugged up real nice once I tightened the two front allen screws... there's zero wobble or shifting. Put some Magpul rail covers on it and it was good to go.

Last edited:
they said "its not a free floater and wouldnt fit my gun"...i figured all that was needed were the necessary parts you listed, loginname, and that they would provide them and i would pay for them...apparently i was wrong? i could have installed the thing myself but the front sight needed to be removed in order to take the other handguard off and i figured leave it to a professional rather than doing it myself

I think the m73 requires the delta ring and fore-end cap for intsallation since they are designed to replace std. handguards and are not free float rails. Your rifle has a different barrel nut for the FF tube that's on there and no delta ring or end cap.

CD

ETA: LoginName & Jack beat me to it. That's what happens when I go check email in the middle of posting.

blood hound said:
they said "its not a free floater and wouldnt fit my gun"...i figured all that was needed were the necessary parts you listed, loginname, and that they would provide them and i would pay for them...apparently i was wrong? i could have installed the thing myself but the front sight needed to be removed in order to take the other handguard off and i figured leave it to a professional rather than doing it myself

Sure looks like a free float tube to me, but I don't have the firearm in my hands right now. Unless there's something odd or unique about your current set-up, that should be a real simple change over (I just realized that you also need a Delta ring, spring and retainer).

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_alternate_items.aspx?id=64

looks like you need parts 4a, 11 or 11a, and 12. i'm not sure, someone correct me if i'm wrong. this isn't the only place, most ar placees will have them. most free float tubes require their own barrel nut. not sure if all free floats use the same, if you hange free floatts you may have to get the barrel nut anyways. the shop with a competant ar smith will get the forearm you want on properly.

jack

That's a fine looking weapon just the way it sits. Don't get too caught up in the hype over rail mounted accessories. It is your firearm so you can do what you wish, I just think the trend of carrying everything but the kitchen sink on the front end of an AR is going to be short lived for everyone but LEO and Military who really need and use some of that stuff.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom