AR Grip for small hands?

I'm building an AR as a present for my wife and she has itty-bitty hands. Anyone have suggestions for a grip she might like?

Over the years there have only been three grips that she has really liked. I'm talking about putting something in her hand and she goes "oooo... I like that."

1. Walther PPS with the small back strap installed.
2. AK with the CAA grip with the interchangeable front and back, with the smallest back strap.
3. and my 1911. Go figure.

I was thinking of using the AR CAA grip with he interchangeable front and back but when I got my hands around it I discovered it was significantly bigger than the AK version. So now I am back on the search.

-MS

Has she tried the stock AR grip? It's ridiculously tiny, my fingers practically go around twice.

Yes she has. It does fit her hand but not "like a glove" which is what I am shooting for here. I want this to be HER rifle. I'm willing to try few out to find the right one which is why I am asking for suggestions. Right now the stock grip is the back up plan

Also with regards to the stock grip, neither one of us is a fan of the cheep hard plastic feel and the fact that it gets slippery when wet or sweaty. I would be willing to try a grip the same size and dimensions as stock if it were a different material. rubberized?

If the stock grip you tried was the A2, and the objection was the finger groove being in the wrong place, you might try an A1 grip instead. Same basic dimensions, no groove.

M16A1 Grip.jpg

There are a few companies that manufacture AR-15 wood stock sets (an abomination also... but not nearly as bad as that 1911 style AR grip).

Unfortunately... it seems that they only list complete stock sets (expensive).

Wouldn't hurt to contact them and inquire if they would sell a pistol grip only.

If you're halfway competent with carving knives/files/sanders/Dremel, you could custom fit one to the desired shape and size.

Just stain or paint it black when done.

How small are her hands? My wife is 5'0 and weighs 95 pounds....he hands are dwarf like small and she's still fine with the AR.

I think her biggest issue with the stock grip is what was mentioned above.

If the stock grip you tried was the A2, and the objection was the finger groove being in the wrong place, you might try an A1 grip instead. Same basic dimensions, no groove.

She ends up wanting to put both the second and third finger above the finger grove and it becomes awkward. I think I will take KMM696's advice and try an A1 grip.

After that it is really about texture and material. She prefers a rubberized grip.

Last edited:
Go with the Troy Industries - Battle Axe Grip.
It's small and forces a good high pistol grip of the rifle.

smitty

Back
Top Bottom