AR for bear

Hey guys,

I picked up my bear permit for the year, but I don't have a gun to hunt them with. I don't like revolvers, or bows. Shotguns are no-go in MA. That leaves a rifle in something bigger than 0.23 caliber.

I already have an AR15, and wouldn't mind picking up a new big-bore upper for it. I know 6.8 is legally big enough, but would .450BM, .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf be a better choice? (not to mention, more fun at the range?)

I would also be very appreciative of recommendations on sources for these big-bore uppers.

Thanks.

Jeez man, its a bear. Get yourself a good knife, and stalk it back to its bed. I want bears to be afraid to walk through the woods alone at night, put that fear in them.

I believe i recall reading here at one point that 9mm works for bear...

Sorry, couldnt resist

Edit

Crap, too late

Last edited:
I have a 450 Bushmaster and like it a lot. If I was hunting bear that'd be what I'd take.

From the Hornady web site;
Well suited to hunt any North American game, the 450 Bushmaster will quickly become a favorite of bear country guides. By simply switching uppers, shooters can go from the prairie dog towns of South Dakota to bear country in the north woods!

And the performance numbers;
Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd
2200/2686 1840/1879 1524/1289 1268/893

pfffff firearms are for pussbags, use a bow. Black bears arnt that big

If I got any enjoyment whatsoever from archery, I might consider it. Just like if I liked revolvers at all, I'd probably just use a .44mag. But I don't, so that leaves a rifle, and I happen to enjoy the AR platform.

.500 S&W in an ankle holster , Just sneak up and put it in the bears ears and say Boom the surprise as well as the shock from looking down the barrel of a .500 S&W will kill the bear instantly. Only problem is finding an ankle holster with a speeloaded pocket on it . Seriously for what an upper costs you can buy several lower end rifles like the Savage Edge , Mossberg 4x4 or Stevens 200 and they will do just fine and you wont have to reload for them , and they can be used for deer in other states.

.500 S&W in an ankle holster , Just sneak up and put it in the bears ears and say Boom the surprise as well as the shock from looking down the barrel of a .500 S&W will kill the bear instantly. Only problem is finding an ankle holster with a speeloaded pocket on it . Seriously for what an upper costs you can buy several lower end rifles like the Savage Edge , Mossberg 4x4 or Stevens 200 and they will do just fine and you wont have to reload for them , and they can be used for deer in other states.

Thanks for answering my question [rolleyes]

Hey guys,

I picked up my bear permit for the year, but I don't have a gun to hunt them with. I don't like revolvers, or bows. Shotguns are no-go in MA. That leaves a rifle in something bigger than 0.23 caliber.

I already have an AR15, and wouldn't mind picking up a new big-bore upper for it. I know 6.8 is legally big enough, but would .450BM, .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf be a better choice? (not to mention, more fun at the range?)

I would also be very appreciative of recommendations on sources for these big-bore uppers.

Thanks.

where are you hunting bear? If you are going to be hunting black bears, then it would probably be cheaper to buy a Swedish Mauser. I know a few people that use them for bear, and they work great.

using a semi auto rifle for dangerous game is not a very good idea. but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Jeez man, its a bear. Get yourself a good knife, and stalk it back to its bed. I want bears to be afraid to walk through the woods alone at night, put that fear in them.

+1 I saw one of these knive's last year @ Fitchburg or Marlboro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please elaborate.

I would also like to hear some details as to why this.

Also, I'm really not interested in hearing about how I should just get a $300 bolt-action because it'll be cheaper. I didn't ask a question about cheap bolt-actions, I asked about .450BM .458SOCOM and .50Beowulf. Thanks.

Please elaborate.

if a primer goes "click" instead of "bang"

i saw a video of a guy hunting elephants, his gun went "click", the elephant turned around and came after the dude. He was lucky the guide was a good shot and killed the elephant.

imagine if it goes "click" when you are hunting bear, alone. If you have a bolt action you can fix the problem a little faster. Also the gun could malfunction, the possibilities are greater with a semi.

but like i said above: this is just my opinion.

Also, I'm really not interested in hearing about how I should just get a $300 bolt-action because it'll be cheaper. I didn't ask a question about cheap bolt-actions, I asked about .450BM .458SOCOM and .50Beowulf. Thanks.

go online, find a chart with the ballistics for each bullet, and make up your mind. also keep in mind what you might be hunting in the future. if you are planning on going after Kodiak bears in the future, then get a nice big caliber. If you are only planning on hunting black bears in New England, then caliber is not a huge issue. Since most black bears are not that big.

Range is another big thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom