• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR for bear

if a primer goes "click" instead of "bang"

i saw a video of a guy hunting elephants, his gun went "click", the elephant turned around and came after the dude. He was lucky the guide was a good shot and killed the elephant.

imagine if it goes "click" when you are hunting bear, alone. If you have a bolt action you can fix the problem a little faster. Also the gun could malfunction, the possibilities are greater with a semi.

but like i said above: this is just my opinion.

I really don't get how actuating a bolt, and pulling and releasing a charging handle, are really that different. Additionally, I am WAY more familiar, and comfortable, with the AR platform than any other.

I really don't get how actuating a bolt, and pulling and releasing a charging handle, are really that different. Additionally, I am WAY more familiar, and comfortable, with the AR platform than any other.

like i said, that was just my opinion. in the end, that argument is like the "AK Vs AR argument"

Go with the Beowulf

.458 socom pushes a 300grn bullet at about 1900ft/s and the beowulf pushes a 400 grn bullet 1875ft/s. i got these of wiki search.

since you dont like bolt guns, why not get a .308 AR setup. kills two birds with one stone .308 is plenty enough and can be loaded to .30-06 levels albeit hot loads. and the second is you got yourself a nice LR ar platform to tacticool out.

or you could just wrastle the bear.

if a primer goes "click" instead of "bang"

i saw a video of a guy hunting elephants, his gun went "click", the elephant turned around and came after the dude. He was lucky the guide was a good shot and killed the elephant.

imagine if it goes "click" when you are hunting bear, alone. If you have a bolt action you can fix the problem a little faster. Also the gun could malfunction, the possibilities are greater with a semi.

but like i said above: this is just my opinion.

go online, find a chart with the ballistics for each bullet, and make up your mind. also keep in mind what you might be hunting in the future. if you are planning on going after Kodiak bears in the future, then get a nice big caliber. If you are only planning on hunting black bears in New England, then caliber is not a huge issue. Since most black bears are not that big.

Range is another big thing.

Thats why you should always carry a sidearm, something that with enough shots will take down that bear, wont do shit against the elephant though haha.

.50 BEOWOLF is a great stopper plus it easily interchanges with any milspec AR lower. you have to consider range too if you are looking to go longer distances. I'm getting ready to start another AR build and the last one I did I bought my parts and assemblies at www.m-aparts.com and www.jsgunparts.com just an fyi if you need parts and stuff..

For the price of a new AR upper (.50 Beowulf, etc.), you could pick up a pretty nice Savage bolt action in any hunting caliber of your choice.

My vote goes for the .458 SOCOM. I bought one because of the variety of available projectiles (and because I was able to find somebody to make me a pistol upper). Reloading is a must for all of these calibers, but you can do more with the SOCOM than you can with the others. You can get bullets that weigh from 90 grains up to 500 grains.

Back
Top Bottom