• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Flash Suppressor & Legality of Suppressors/Silencers in general

After looking around, I'm a tad confused. My understanding was suppressors were banned in MA. However, I have a pre-ban AR and a flash suppressor is allowed...

My question is, what about a 6" suppressor/fake silencer such as:
M4-Gun-Fit-Combo.jpg

I think they look sick, and if you could get a silencer legally, it would be very fun to play with...

Now, if a silencer/fake silencer is not allowed, what about a long flash suppressor?
15cfhb.jpg

Just trying to get a feel for what is allowed or not...

Also, I hear people talking about pre-bans with 14.5 inch barrels...I thought we had to have a minimum of 16" barrels in MA?

Thanks,
Johnny

After looking around, I'm a tad confused. My understanding was suppressors were banned in MA. However, I have a pre-ban AR and a flash suppressor is allowed...
Now, if a silencer/fake silencer is not allowed, what about a long flash suppressor?

Army Officer, let me try and clear up some of the facts. It seems you have confused a few things.

First, there are two laws you need to be aware of:
(1) The Assault Weapon Ban of 1994
(2) The National Firearms Act 1934 (1939?)

Anyway, the first law is a now a Massachusetts state law that prohibits threaded barrels, flash suppressors, collapsing stocks, etc on rifles made after September of 1994. If the rifle was made before, it was pre-ban, and can have these features.

The second law is a Federal law. It prohibits silencers or barrels shorter than 16" unless you have a $200 Tax Stamp (and the signature of your CLEO). Now, MA goes above and beyond and completely bands silencers, so those are out of the question even if you have a Tax Stamp.

In general, if somebody says they have a 14.5" barrel on a pre-ban rifle, what they really mean is that they have a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached 1.5" flash suppressor. This is legal, because its technically considered a 16" barrel by the ATF. Alternatively, what a lot of people also do is get a 11" barrel and have a permanently attached 5" fake silencer. You can do this too. It also doesn't violate the Assault Weapon Ban because (1) its permanently attached and (2) its not a flash suppressor so long as its just a fake silencer.

Last edited:
So in the case of a pre-ban, could one affix a "fake silencer" by removing the flash suppressor and screwing on the "fake silencer" or even a 5" flash suppressor?

Do these have to be permanently fixed if it's pre-ban?

Man, my AR looks great, but most of the parts are going to be pretty paperweights...lol...

And you can put a fake suppressor on a post-ban gun no problem, as long as it isn't also a flash suppressor. Due to the threads, though, that WOULD have to be permanently affixed.

Can you get a Tax Stamp for a 12" barrel in MA? Assume you have to have a compensator (not suppressor) permanently attached.

What is the process?

I would like to build up my NES lower as a Shorty.

Back
Top Bottom