AR failing to feed.

So should I do anything to it like file it down slightly?

I wonder how many receivers have been destroyed just after those words being spoken.

If your friend somehow got it feeding nicely, leave it alone and test fire it at the range. Don't take a file to anything, especially if you don't have much experience in 'smithing.

I'd be willing to bet the barrel/nut are either not installed properly, or out of spec altogether...
From what I'm seeing in those s****y pics it looks tweaked. I agree. Index pin off ? Although he said its cycling now, I suspect this is an issue

Last edited:
First, I will not comment on what is seen in the pictures. What I will say is break it in more than you have. Run it dripping wet for a while. If you have any tools in your hand put them down.

You said it is a Delton upper. I have found the people at Delton to be a great bunch and a lot of help. If you have a problem, give them a call. They sell hand guards too (referring to your other thread).

Don't over think this. Get to a reange and after 500 to 1000 rounds if you are still having a problem, then look at getting it fixed.

Just an old guy's opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. [wink]

Hard to tell from my phone, but that looks like M4 feed ramps cut into the receiver, but not the barrel. That would be a problem that cannot be fixed without the proper barrel.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
THIS. jtorbin, did you buy a barrel that was cut for feed ramps? It doesn't look like it from here.

It's m4 and I just bought 500 rds of xm193 for 160 at shooters outpost im gonna run it through next weekend hopefully it should fix after break in

It's cycling fine manually now I'm sure it should have no problem ill keep it dripping wet to break it in. Will post results in 250 rounds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 55
Well I think it wasn't cycling cause I was kinda not yanking the charging handle back and stopped it from slamming forward

Holy shite you mean my advice was close to correct? I erased my original suggestion & re-wrote it differently because it sounded too stupidly basic. It happened to me with my pistol when it was new, and I recalled that when I got my own AR & it happened there too. And here I was cringing after reading all the technical gurus' suggestions.

Sometimes, the simplest answer is best.

Yeah it was user error per say I was so used to my mp15-22 that I was kinda not pulling the charging handle with force
At least you now have a 5 page reference detailing everything that can cause an AR to Malfunction!
You SOB [rofl]

First time i hade my ar i was being to gentile with it and jammed it as well, somthing like letting the bolt slam home just seemed harsh to do to my new gun, but i wont work properly if you dont,

it will get smoother as you use it but you still need to let the bolt drop foward by itself to insure a proper feed.

Haha jeez. 50 posts to find out you were just riding the charging handle keeping the bolt from slamming home and loading the rounds right. Oh well live and learn! At least you'll know how to troubleshoot pretty much any other failure to feed from here on out too.

This is similar to the age old question of why the lawnmower wont start.
Do you have power?......yes
dose it turn over?....yes
dose it have spark?....yes
is the plug gap right?....yes

Oh did you put Gas in it........ohh gas

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/del-ton-dti-16-556mm/ apparently there parts are all made from well known us manufacturers I heard that Wilson makes there barrels and most of there stuff is magpul they have some very great reviews makes me feel better about what I purchased. Come April hopefully ill be putting $ 15,000 into a few guns and plan on building a top shelf AR leaning towards a larue stealth 20 inch upper, spikes forged lower :)

That does chamber the round so I should be good to go? The only way it doesn't feed us if I catch the charging handle then if I slam the forward assists it chambers. Apparently that's what it's designed for lol. (It can also be used to close a bolt that was gently let down, rather than released under full spring compression, to keep the noise of closing the bolt to a minimum.) as a friend pointed out to me yesterday.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/del-ton-dti-16-556mm/ apparently there parts are all made from well known us manufacturers I heard that Wilson makes there barrels and most of there stuff is magpul they have some very great reviews makes me feel better about what I purchased. Come April hopefully ill be putting $ 15,000 into a few guns and plan on building a top shelf AR leaning towards a larue stealth 20 inch upper, spikes forged lower :)

If you're going to drop that much dough into some guns, including a top shelf AR, might as well get a fancy billet lower for a few more bucks. Drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the costs.

That does chamber the round so I should be good to go?

Depends on what you mean by good to go. Do a mag dump and make sure every round feeds and ejects w/o problems then take a carbine course and pound 2000 rounds through it in a weekend. If the gun survives with no malfunctions then you are good to go.

If you at some point will have 15000k to spend in guns then get yourself a quality AR, skip building one, just buy it built and spend some money on training and learn how to use the gun.

I was considering that as well madball, like the predatAR. What are some of the top shelf high end ARs I'm probably gonna set 3k as the limit for the gun itself then get the best eotech and magnifier for it. The bolt action whichever I end up buying ill be getting a night force for so whatever AR I get ill be able to swap that on for some long shots.

- - - Updated - - -

I also considered possibly buying a SCAR-H as well not sure about it though. I think I'd much rather get a few different uppers like the .50 Beowulf.

I also considered possibly buying a SCAR-H as well not sure about it though. I think I'd much rather get a few different uppers like the .50 Beowulf.

Scar 17s, HK91, or a DTA SRS would be where my money would go first. The SRS is for long range, but with $15k you could buy conversions for everything from .308 to .338LM.

Back
Top Bottom