AR complete uppers

DarthRevan

NES Member
Okay gents (and any ladies... although I dont think they exist here yet), pending my taxes, I will be purchasing a Preban lower and I have been looking at different companies for uppers.
DDMs look awesome, and I've heard BCM is solid as well. Although I do like the phrase "buy once, cry once", I would like to get a cheaper complete set up just to have it be functioning until the funds for an additional 1200 is available.

Thoughts?

If your going to "buy once, cry once" then you buy the HK mr556 upper, or if your into the NFA items get your stamp and get a HK 416 10.4" upper

Not enough info. What is your intent for use? (plinking only, in home self defense, the 300 yard range, Service rifle competition).
Also what features do you like?

The good news is there are a ton of quality companies out there.

Last edited:
90% of the people out there (yes, "people" - there are women on this site) would never notice a difference between a $500 upper and a $2000 upper. Yet there are still plenty of people who are happy to blow $1000-$2000 on a "luxury brand" upper because they have the cash or credit limit, and it makes them feel good to own something that's people on the internet tell them is "good." Waste of money, if you ask me.

That goes for preban lowers too. Is it really worth 2x-3x the cost to buy a 20+ year old receiver that's probably inferior in quality to what is being manufactured today, that you'll probably need to refinish and rebuild anyway, just so you can mount a flash suppressor (useless feature that you'll probably replace with a comp that is MA legal anyway), bayonet lug (completely useless feature) and a telescoping stock that you'll adjust once and then never touch again?

My recommendation is to go to one of the custom shops (like Remsport) and have them build a house-brand gun to your specifications. You'll have a better quality, better assembled gun that's exactly what you want without all the stupid markup. Just don't go blowing the bank on name brand bells and whistle parts that you couldn't possibly benefit from. Spend your money on ammo and training, or (shocking) save and invest your spare cash. But you didn't hear that from me.

90% of the people out there (yes, "people" - there are women on this site) would never notice a difference between a $500 upper and a $2000 upper. Yet there are still plenty of people who are happy to blow $1000-$2000 on a "luxury brand" upper because they have the cash or credit limit, and it makes them feel good to own something that's people on the internet tell them is "good." Waste of money, if you ask me.

That goes for preban lowers too. Is it really worth 2x-3x the cost to buy a 20+ year old receiver that's probably inferior in quality to what is being manufactured today, that you'll probably need to refinish and rebuild anyway, just so you can mount a flash suppressor (useless feature that you'll probably replace with a comp that is MA legal anyway), bayonet lug (completely useless feature) and a telescoping stock that you'll adjust once and then never touch again?

My recommendation is to go to one of the custom shops (like Remsport) and have them build a house-brand gun to your specifications. You'll have a better quality, better assembled gun that's exactly what you want without all the stupid markup. Just don't go blowing the bank on name brand bells and whistle parts that you couldn't possibly benefit from. Spend your money on ammo and training, or (shocking) save and invest your spare cash. But you didn't hear that from me.

^Excellent advice here!

+1

to be honest, I really just like the option of having an adjustable stock, and being able to not worry about any "evil" bits I put on it.
My plan for this is to be a home defense rifle, that I will take to the range as frequently as the wallet allows. 5.56 of course.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a Palmetto State set up. So far good reviews (albeit four total on the website), cheap on the price too. That should hold me over until next tax season.
Had a friend of mine get all up in arms about how it's not a top tier brand.
Maybe if I had his wallet I'd get something nicer :p

I would go with a STAG complete. They seem to do well with the moving parts and the price is pretty good. My STAG upper is quieter and smoother on the cycling parts compared to my various other uppers. It does have all STAG bcg/handle if that is part of the difference... Reasonably priced. I did have the gas tube separate from the railed block. Lifetime warranty on RIFLES so it was back in a few weeks with a the new system tested and hasn't complained in a year or so since.

Don't pass over Windham Weaponry too. I'd also contact Lars at Umlaut to see what he can put together, or get, for you. Check with Adam, or Nicole, at Acme too. You don't need to order from far away to get something great.

Back
Top Bottom