• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Charging Handles For Easier Use With An Optic

I just put a Vortex Strikeagle on one of my AR's. After positioning the scope for proper eye relief, I now find it a bit harder to grasp and operate the charging handle. What types/brands of charging handle do you use to make operation easier and faster? Thanks in advance for your replies.

BCM charging handles ROCK!! Go with either a Mod3 (largest version) or Mod4 (one size smaller). I use them in all my uppers.

so many good options out there for charging handles but i also dig the BCM ones. the mod 4 is the medium size but compared to the standard charging handle it's quite a bit larger. the mod 3 is somewhat huge IMO. personally i prefer the mod 4 and have never seen an optic interfere with it. the downside to the larger mod 3 is mostly that they can dig or hang up when carrying on sling.

Another vote for BCM. I run the Mod3 on all my rifles.

Another consideration for the larger option is wearing winter gloves. I personally have had no issues with it snagging on my PC.

BCM GUNFIGHTER ambi model here. Although my scope sits pretty far forward...

with 3.5" of eye relief you should" " be able to get that scope just forward of the charging handle... some where up where the rear of the rear sight would sit?

Last edited:
- Started with the Badger Ordinance CH - about 12 years ago.

- Went to the BCM CH's when they came out.

- Now, after AR15 classes = switching to ambi CH's

Just how bad is the eye relief on the Strike Eagle? The Vortex magnifier I have has very short eye relief, I have that on a side charging upper and mounted on the last slot on the rail. If you're looking for an ambi CH, I thought the Raptors are so much nicer and user friendly than the BCM4. If you don't mind the cost, they are often for sale at $70. The Geissele one is very nice as well.

BCM GUNFIGHTER ambi model here. Although my scope sits pretty far forward...

with 3.5" of eye relief you should" " be able to get that scope just forward of the charging handle... some where up where the rear of the rear sight would sit?

I guess BCM seems to be the popular choice here [laugh]. You are, of course, correct that I should be able to get the optic far enough forward to not interfere with charging. It is my first optic of that type I've put on an AR, I haven't got to the range yet, and I probably haven't got it in its final position.

Hopefully, I will get to the range soon to try it out and quite possibly wind up moving it forward enough to clear the charging handle.

I got some on EBay which were very inexpensive replacement extended latch , sort of like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-Model-4...230378?hash=item33baf944ea:g:jBUAAOSwzJ5Xf2q7

SO you don't need to get a whole new handle.

Important installation note: to get the old latch off your charging handle, get a small punch of the right diameter, and push the roll pin out, and USE THE PUNCH to hold the new latch in place when inserting the new roll pin, otherwise the little spring goes flying, and it's impossible to keep it lined up when pushing the new roll pin into place.

Oversized ch and ambi latches make it alot easier to grab for guys with sausage fingers like me and leftys. I have mod 4's in all of mine.

Last edited:
I guess BCM seems to be the popular choice here [laugh]. You are, of course, correct that I should be able to get the optic far enough forward to not interfere with charging. It is my first optic of that type I've put on an AR, I haven't got to the range yet, and I probably haven't got it in its final position.

Hopefully, I will get to the range soon to try it out and quite possibly wind up moving it forward enough to clear the charging handle.

My old Luepold I had on my AR was set back more than my current optic and still cleared the handle.
My new scope Sightron SIII 8x32x56 I needed to move it 2 slots forward and install the A2 stock!
With 3.5" of relief ..... I would say mount your rifle in the position you intend to shoot it the most. Have someone measure 3.5" from your eye....the install the scope to that point for starters
If you adjust it from the bench when you shoot prone the scope will be closer...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom