• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and new to owning. I have been shooting for years but am recently licensed, have a couple fire arms, 9mm S&W 9SDVE, and S&W MP 15-22. I have shot many AR’s Over the years that friends own or have rented at ranges. I am looking to build my first one but have some questions.

I found a complete lower receiver and complete upper at a store in MA (I also live in mass, north shore), the only items I don’t see listed or being sold at that store are the buffer tube and stock. My question is, if I purchase the complete lower and complete upper is there anything I should be worried about since they are complete pieces or nothing to worry about since they are being sold at a firearms store in mass?
Also, can I purchasethe buffer tube and stock assembly online and have them shipped to my house?
last, since the lower is complete I assume it will come with a SN for registering, which imagine will be the same process as purchasing a complete handgun or rifle?
Is there anything else I should be informed about, legal wise?

again, sorry as I am sure this has been asked before and I’m sure you’re all tired of the question, but again I am new to this forum(first post) and could use some assistance on this project I would like to do. Thanks everyone.

Welcome.

To meet Mass gun laws (the written ones passed by legistraitors), just abide by the Mass AWB.

Once you get all the parts together and completely built, you must register it online with the Commiewealth. Use the "registration" option and skip the page that asks where you got it.

Welcome.

To meet Mass gun laws (the written ones passed by legistraitors), just abide by the Mass AWB.

Once you get all the parts together and completely built, you must register it online with the Commiewealth. Use the "registration" option and skip the page that asks where you got it.
Thank you. So just pin the stock, no large capacity mags unless pre ban, No suppressor, no launcher, or bayonets?
With regards to skipping the where I got it from part, is that because I am the builder? Also, will there be a serial number on it? I assume yes since the lower is complete. However, if I were to purchase an 80% lower there won’t be a number, correct?

Thank you. So just pin the stock, no large capacity mags unless pre ban, No suppressor, no launcher, or bayonets?
With regards to skipping the where I got it from part, is that because I am the builder? Also, will there be a serial number on it? I assume yes since the lower is complete. However, if I were to purchase an 80% lower there won’t be a number, correct?

80% lowers typically do not have serial numbers, though you can find them with #’s if you want. 100% lower will have a serial # for sure.

You also have to pin a comp or brake on the barrel, assuming it is threaded.

no flash hider either, must be a compensator or brake and pinned & welded on.

Northeast Arms on Rt1 in Peabody can do that for you real quick.

no flash hider either, must be a compensator or brake and pinned & welded on.

Northeast Arms on Rt1 in Peabody can do that for you real quick.
Thank you for this information. They are right up the street from. Would they carry build kits? I found a couple uppers and complete lowers but they are an hour away from me.

He's got everything! Basically the local AR parts shop if you're north of Boston.
Great to know. They are less than 15mins from me. Thank you for the information. I have been wanting to build one but didn’t know where to look for parts, besides online but I didn’t think they would ship to mass. I found one complete upper and three complete lowers at a store in Holbrook but that is pretty far from me and was looking for something closer but have been striking out. I will have to stop in. Thank you JPM

A “complete lower” has a buffer tube and stock. That’s how I’ve played the game.

Back
Top Bottom