AR Build

Garys

NES Member
I have a lower, LPK, and everything else I need for that part. I haven't done anything with it because I didn't know what I wanted to do for an upper. After thinking about I've more or less decided that I want to build an A2 style rifle with an 18" barrel. I don't plan to build the upper, but I'd like some ideas of who makes good ones.

The other part is finding them since supplies haven't quite caught up to demand for parts and uppers. Companies are still concentrating on building complete guns. So, there is no great rush.

Ideas?

Stag Arms recently sent me an email stating that a lot of their inventory is in stock again and they have a new online store. I purchased a complete stag a while back and I am very happy with it.

Stag Arms recently sent me an email stating that a lot of their inventory is in stock again and they have a new online store. I purchased a complete stag a while back and I am very happy with it.

Thanks. I'll take a look at their site. Assuming they have one. Which is probably pretty safe these days.

Building an upper is not a lot harder than a lower. A friend of mine assembled an upper on a glass coffee table in his living room. I didn't see much of the operation because the Pats were playing and he had a 50 in tv.

I ordered a 22LR conversion kit from Stag about two days ago, got a canned response that it would take 12-15 working days to process, and then a shipping notice the same day. It is now out for delivery.

Building an upper is not a lot harder than a lower. A friend of mine assembled an upper on a glass coffee table in his living room. I didn't see much of the operation because the Pats were playing and he had a 50 in tv.

My only real concern (because I'm chicken) with building my own upper is head spacing. Well, and any special tools I'd need to buy, borrow, rent, etc...

Right now I'm looking at BCM and Stag. My thought of an 18" barrel is rapidly fading as that seems to be an odd length. A 20" "government profile" barrel is looking more likely at this point.

A former partner of mine recently got his LTC and has built a couple of ARs from parts he got on group buys here. I should ask him if he built his own uppers.

Bravo Company, Palmetto, etc all have complete uppers in stock and ready to go right now. Obviously with buying a complete upper, head space becomes a non issue.

Building your own upper is not that hard. I did about 90% of both of mine, and they run perfect. Get yourself a set of head space gauges, and it's actually very easy to build one.

Back
Top Bottom