• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar build

If I get a complete kit and a stripped lower is that all I need to complete this project?? When doees a gunsmith get involved??

If I get a complete kit and a stripped lower is that all I need to complete this project?? When doees a gunsmith get involved??

If you are bright enough to be able to lace your shoes without a manual of instruction, then there is no need for a gunsmith to ever get involved.

I built my stripped lower without ever having done it. It's not that hard. Watch a couple of youtube videos, and you'll be fine.

As far as the upper, I had one built for me. Those are easy enough though too.

Ok but, is the complete kit and the stripped lower all I need and a mag. Also need info on pinning the stock.

ARs don't really come in... kits... what did you buy--exactly? post a list of what parts you have and we'll either say "yes", or "no".

do you have a bench vice? armorer's wrench? vice block? punch set? BEER?

AR stands for "Assembly Retard-proof" watch some youtube videos or just look at an exploded diagram and figure it out

Also, I used no 'special tools' either.

I used tools I had lying around my house and it was just as easy. Everything went together perfect.

Where are you located? I'd be willing to lend a helping hand or just do it for you and show you how in the process. I've got some new punches and tools I need to break in anyways!

What do you have currently?

Last edited:
If your near central RI I could walk you through it and loan my tools (Torque wrench, barrel nut, bolt stop pin punch, other roll pin punches, vise block etc).

I bought an 80% complete billet (paper weight) and milled out the fire control pocket and have completed the lower. I have the barrel and have ordered an upper receiver from RRA but at this point I can not find a bolt or carrier anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

little bit of a hijack...can one pin/weld their muzzle break themselves? or does this need to be done by someone licensed?

little bit of a hijack...can one pin/weld their muzzle break themselves? or does this need to be done by someone licensed?

Pinning or welding the brake on requires a MIG or even better a TIG welder. Silver solder can be done with just a torch. Oxy/Acc (best) MAPP (better) Propane (acceptable) It also gives better looking results.

I have a MIG welder, been welding for a couple years, this process doesn't seem too difficult for me to handle on my own. I was just curious on legality.

Back
Top Bottom