• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build...yet another guy probably asking the same questions...

Forgive me, but I am new to the world of AR's, although, I have shot plenty and family members own them.

I have a few questions regarding building an AR...

First, if you were to compare a AR that was mid range price, to a top of the line (built\store bought) what would be the differences?
I mean, how much lighter are we talking, features, etc...

I'm going to be in the market to start my own AR build, but I want the best parts possible, and to know what they are when I see them.

My budget is $5000, but if need be I'll go higher. That's not including a ACOG scope of some type, with a $3000. Budget.

$8000+ combined budget.

Thank you in advance.

Evan

That a really solid budget. You seem to be new to ARs, why not just buy an assembled upper?

My go-to gun is a Noveske N4 on a pre-ban lower (with a gessile trigger) topped with an ACOG TA-33.

How many do you want for the 5 grand?

Seriously, you can potentially build 2 top tier AR rifles, with top tier optics for 5 grand.
Or 4-5 quality iron sighted rifles.

Maybe karma NES giveaway one haha.

I'm just trying to learn the basic's without doing anything wrong.

That's really an obscene budget for an AR... That's like saying I want a fast car, but my budget is 2 million bucks...

You should be able to build/buy an exceptional rifle for about 1100-1300, after that you are just buying a name. What do you want it for, because that is how I would advise building it...

Personally what I would do is order a 14.5" upper with a light weight barrel and pinned low pro gas block from daniel defense. Have a PWS FSC556 pinned and welded on the barrel. Get an 11" Noveske NSR rail system. I'd use knights armament micro back up sights. Throw a BCM gunfighter charging handle on there as well.

For the lower, as others said, since you want to burn the cash I'd find a pre-ban colt to over-pay for, and have the sear block machined out. Put a geissele Super Dynamic trigger in it, and an Vltor enhanced receiver extension on it and a magpul CTR stock.

This will leave you with a lightweight, accurate, reliabile rifle.

Can you spend more just to spend more, yes. I don't think anything else is really worth the premium, however. Use the other money and buy a tavor. Then buy an ACOG and an Eotech.

Mike

$5000 AR? Hmmmm. Gold plated BCG. Titanium upper and lower receiver, Bedazzled with rhinestones.
All joking aside, That is a healthy budget for an AR. Good luck and love to see the final product.

My typical advice to these type of questions:

Buy an entry level AR15, such as a S&W M&P15. Shoot, disassemble, clean, reassemble. Once you've become familiar with the platform begin customizing parts to your liking and purpose. You will quickly develop preferences and gain practical knowledge. At this point, you're going make much smarter decisions about upgrades and buying premium parts. Sell your entry level AR and put it towards your "dream" rifle. Or keep it, up to you.

I made the mistake of buying into a premium AR and realizing that it wasn't what I wanted. Moving an entry level rifle is a lot easier than selling a high end one.

My typical advice to these type of questions:

Buy an entry level AR15, such as a S&W M&P15. Shoot, disassemble, clean, reassemble. Once you've become familiar with the platform begin customizing parts to your liking and purpose. You will quickly develop preferences and gain practical knowledge. At this point, you're going make much smarter decisions about upgrades and buying premium parts. Sell your entry level AR and put it towards your "dream" rifle. Or keep it, up to you.

I made the mistake of buying into a premium AR and realizing that it wasn't what I wanted. Moving an entry level rifle is a lot easier than selling a high end one.

Just curious, what high end rifle did you grow not to like?

A Noveske complete upper with pinned Battlecomp for $1235:
Noveske NSR

Complete BCM lower with a B5 Bravo stock, Geissele SSA trigger, B5 QD endplate for $675:
BCM Lower at G and R Tactical

Aimpoint micro/Bobro mount for $642(also at G&R)

KAC micro BUIS around $300

Vickers QD sling for $77:
Weapon Slings : Vickers PB Slings - Acetal Hardware

Surefire Scout kit for $284:
https://www.gearsector.com/view/product/236/

2000 rounds of 5.56 for $1000

Shipping costs/transfer and you're right around $4350 Spend the rest of the $8K on training and a reloading setup. Post pics when you're done. [laugh]

Lets say for S&Gs he goes out and spends 5k on a match rifle.....hard to do but.... Then he realizes he wanted more of a carbine CQ type of rifle. If you really dont like the rifle it really matters not how much it cost you.
5k rifle budget and a 3k optics budget gets you a lot of options. Im going to assume with that kind of budget ammo prices are not much of a factor for the OP ?
factor in what your looking for in a barrel ? you can spend 500.00 right there ? my god with 5k I would be tempted to buy a RRA National match rifle for 1100.00 for the iron sights and practice with a Factory Guaranty of 3/4moa. Then I would possibly just buy a high end carbine for all the tactical goodies as mentioned above. whats left would be for ammo or even a range beater? The 3k in optics fund ?????? I purchased a acog back when NES had a group buy. mid 2008 ? by mid 2009 Obama super sale I was in full swing. I was offered several hundred more than I paid, its now gone. I have yet to replace it.....man with a budget like that my gears would be turning ?

Last edited:

I ended up acquiring a BCM. It sported a 20 inch barrel and an A2 stock. It was too heavy and bulky for my tastes and purposes (range and gun to introduce new shooters). I personally feel an AR shouldn't weigh over 8 lbs without accessories. I could have replaced the upper and easily switched up the stock but I found it was much easier to sell the whole rifle as opposed to piecemeal. Using those funds I purchased another rifle to my liking. Actually, I ended up going through four configurations before I found what I preferred most.

Now I come to prefer 16 inch or less barrels, free float with just a top rail, one/two point sling capability, a geiselle trigger, a 12.5 inch LOP, a non-laterally compensated muzzle, and a loaded weight with optics of 8.5lbs. It took me a couple years of tinkering to figure out how I like my AR set up.

So, I have been watching this thread because I intend to buy or build 2 AR's before the next election - or, at the *VERY LEAST* 2 lower receivers before then.

This is my idea (at the moment, subject to change, etc...).

1a) Flat out buy a Ruger SR-556E - Ruger® SR-556E® Autoloading Rifle Models

Does anyone know if I can use .223 in this? I am NOT an AR person - frankly, I don't much like the platform - but, I am gonna totally cop to the fact that I want one before the gun grabbers make it impossible for me to get one (que the "Obama Gun Salesman of the Year" jokes).

1b) Build my own relatively lightweight and short one, M4 style, using high quality parts.

The issue with this is "what will be my cost vs just buying one" and finding someone that will work with me on the build. This last one isn't a real issue between NES and MRGCI, but there is some attraction to the idea of building my own - as well as the idea that Ruger will fix my SR after I break it.

2) Build one in 7.62/.308 - This I *KNOW* I am going to do, and it will be a long distance shooter, so target barrel, good optics, etc.

I am not going to bother with "What receiver do I want" and all that crap yet, when I have the money in hand I will start that, but I have decided I want a good billet one and not composite. Chances are I will end up getting an Umlaut lower and upper/bbl though, since they are local and seen to have very nice stuff.

So getting back to the real question, I guess -

Someone above said "buy a decent one, get use to it, then build your own". If I decide to go the Ruger SR-556 route is using that experience to build a nice 7.62/.308 variant legit? I can get one at pretty decent prices from time to time at the LGSs I go to...

I'm curious does anyone know any manufactures that actually inspect every part before assembly. I would emagine there has to be a few that magnaflux every part? That would drive the cost up. Knowing that there are minimal structural flaws in the metal from the get go....all this gets me thinking though. It really makes me wonder why we get so crazy with service weapons?
I think both stoner and jc garand would be asking why.
Just your budget has me daydreaming since I first read this post.

That's a solid budget for January maybe. Now that the floor has fallen out you can have a top notch AR for half that. So Take the advice above and if you really have that much for the riffle, load up on some mags and ammo with the left over 2-3k you will have.

Back
Top Bottom