AR Build start-up

Hey all. First time poster.

Looking to start the AR building process and looking for advice on how to best go about that under the new Healy interpretation of MGL.

I am not worried about pre-ban features. I'm just looking to make a decent mid range rifle. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an AR guru... but I like my guns light with a keymod rail, stream light pro tac rail light, and proctor slings. I only own 2. 1 with a Leupold 1-4, and one with simple red dot. Good luck and welcome to club.

Also... real Gs have Geissele triggers

I disregard Healey

Hey all. First time poster.

Looking to start the AR building process and looking for advice on how to best go about that under the new Healy interpretation of MGL.

I am not worried about pre-ban features. I'm just looking to make a decent mid range rifle. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Maura

I'm not an AR guru... but I like my guns light with a keymod rail, stream light pro tac rail light, and proctor slings. I only own 2. 1 with a Leupold 1-4, and one with simple red dot. Good luck and welcome to club.

Also... real Gs have Geissele triggers

I disregard Healey
I plan on ignoring her as much as possible. Thanks for the advice, but I'm more looking for how to navigate MGL to actually acquire the parts legally. Thanks.

I plan on ignoring her as much as possible. Thanks for the advice, but I'm more looking for how to navigate MGL to actually acquire the parts legally. Thanks.

The only part you need to worry about is your stripped lower. Everything else you can have mailed right to your house

You can either buy a very very over priced stripped lower if someone.
Dealers will not sell you one.
Or you can spend a few hundred dollars more and buy a complete rifle from someone else.

Super helpful. Thanks.

People aren't being helpful because you are inquiring about a grey area of the law, and due to people's distrust of the laws and lawmakers in the People's Republic they suspect that you are an undercover apparatchik for the State or an anti-gunner trolling for incriminating information which will somehow be used against gun owners.

Here is your most reasonable answer: If you want to obey what Healy imagines to be the "law", you could post a "want to buy" ad on Armslist, pay an exorbitant ass-reaming profit to the owner of the stripped lower and before purchasing it ask to see "proof" that the lower had been purchased prior to the Healy decree that owning such postban lowers has been illegal since 1994. Then you could build it out and (if you choose to follow the ACTUAL law as written, dutifully register it via the Mass Firearms Portal. You probably won't be arrested. Enjoy your rifle.

or

You could research serial numbers and dates of manufacture and find yourself a true pre-ban lower somewhere on the internet or in a gun shop out of state. If you have simpatico friends in free states (particularly the south and southwest) you could ask them to check their local gun shops for you. That friend might find an "old beater" AR for sale in a hole-in-the-wall gun shop quite cheap, offered for sale by someone who is ignorant of the values and identifiers of pre-94 aR15's and who is selling it at the price of any other beater AR15. Then you arrange to have the rifle shipped to a MA FFL who would be willing to transfer it to you. Ask you preferred FFL before you buy, and show him your research indicating that the rifle's serial number indicated that the date of manufacture is in fact pre-94.

Another avenue--if you are a socially well-regarded and well-connected fellow--is through your social network. There might be someone at your local shooting range/gun club who was bright enough to stockpile them while they could be had cheap and set you up as a personal favor, and sell it to you at their original cost. That would be a friend indeed.

Lastly, you could break the "law" that Healy decreed via press conference and just do whatever the f*** you want, and be willing to pay whatever the penalty was from whoever was willing to enforce it. That would save you say five hundred or a thousand dollars on your build, but might (repeat: MIGHT) cost you ten grand in legal fees after you get a flat tire on the way back from the range and a helpful State Trooper stops to see if you are alright and notices the rifle case in the back of your car and wants to know what is in it.

If you decide to go that route, google "80% AR15 lower receivers" and read up on what is involved. Apparently people are doing that, the foolish lawless bastards, because they feel that they have a Constitutional right to do so, and they refuse to let the impeccably well-intentioned communist maternal instincts of the State discourage them. YMMV.

All the best, and welcome to Northeastshooters--such as it is.

People aren't being helpful because you are inquiring about a grey area of the law, and due to people's distrust of the laws and lawmakers in the People's Republic they suspect that you are an undercover apparatchik for the State or an anti-gunner trolling for incriminating information which will somehow be used against gun owners.

Here is your most reasonable answer: If you want to obey what Healy imagines to be the "law", you could post a "want to buy" ad on Armslist, pay an exorbitant ass-reaming profit to the owner of the stripped lower and before purchasing it ask to see "proof" that the lower had been purchased prior to the Healy decree that owning such postban lowers has been illegal since 1994. Then you could build it out and (if you choose to follow the ACTUAL law as written, dutifully register it via the Mass Firearms Portal. You probably won't be arrested. Enjoy your rifle.

or

You could research serial numbers and dates of manufacture and find yourself a true pre-ban lower somewhere on the internet or in a gun shop out of state. If you have simpatico friends in free states (particularly the south and southwest) you could ask them to check their local gun shops for you. That friend might find an "old beater" AR for sale in a hole-in-the-wall gun shop quite cheap, offered for sale by someone who is ignorant of the values and identifiers of pre-94 aR15's and who is selling it at the price of any other beater AR15. Then you arrange to have the rifle shipped to a MA FFL who would be willing to transfer it to you. Ask you preferred FFL before you buy, and show him your research indicating that the rifle's serial number indicated that the date of manufacture is in fact pre-94.

Another avenue--if you are a socially well-regarded and well-connected fellow--is through your social network. There might be someone at your local shooting range/gun club who was bright enough to stockpile them while they could be had cheap and set you up as a personal favor, and sell it to you at their original cost. That would be a friend indeed.

Lastly, you could break the "law" that Healy decreed via press conference and just do whatever the f*** you want, and be willing to pay whatever the penalty was from whoever was willing to enforce it. That would save you say five hundred or a thousand dollars on your build, but might (repeat: MIGHT) cost you ten grand in legal fees after you get a flat tire on the way back from the range and a helpful State Trooper stops to see if you are alright and notices the rifle case in the back of your car and wants to know what is in it.

If you decide to go that route, google "80% AR15 lower receivers" and read up on what is involved. Apparently people are doing that, the foolish lawless bastards, because they feel that they have a Constitutional right to do so, and they refuse to let the impeccably well-intentioned communist maternal instincts of the State discourage them. YMMV.

This. Pick your poison.

Thank you for that man. I appreciate your time. I'm totally new to this, so that was a big help.

You should also know that new members join daily (at least) asking suspiciously detailed questions about the meaning of the Healy edict.

In case you were wondering why some folks hereabouts feel paranoid.

You should also know that new members join daily (at least) asking suspiciously detailed questions about the meaning of the Healy edict.

In case you were wondering why some folks hereabouts feel paranoid.
I get that. But I'm not a new member. Just haven't posted much before. But I get it.

or

this is what a few of my friends did while traveling in the free lands. Found a few pre 1994 ARs in small shops where a pre 94 AR is just Gramps old beater. Had it shipped to a FFL and now have a pre 94 AR
Or just keep looking for something here. I have seen several ARs in NES want ads for sale here in Commichusetts that where not really to far out of the norm on prices. You unlikely to find any pre ban ARs at LGS for less than $2k
Im considering posting a AR start up "kit" I have a lower and random AR parts I have no need for. Just being lazy and not digging them out to post pics nad stuff.

Dealers will not sell you one.

Do a little more leg work. This statement is easily disprovable. Multiple dealers advertise new lowers for sale. Some require you to sign something that says you will only build into a 22LR rifle. In any case, while Healey declared lowers AWs, the law on lowers is they are the equivalent of a paper weight in MA. Unregulated.

Again, many dealers sell them. Just do some leg work.

Then you have to decide if you will build a rifle with it or not. I see a number of options (based on what other people do...)
  1. Build a rifle any way you want with any feature you want --- they just dont care any longer about any MA laws
  2. Build a rifle that is compliant with the AWB relative to features --- try to play by the rules ignoring Healey
  3. Build a rifle with a fixed magazine --- buy the MA Lock | Mean Arms --- play buy Healey's rules, mostly
  4. Build a rifle in 22LR (still only 1 feature) --- bow down to Healey
  5. Build a rifle in 22LR but also build a 223/556 or 300BLK or other upper. Keep rifle stored unassembled or with 22LR on. Shoot at range with whatever upper -- no requirement to re-register when you change calibers --- Play by Healey's rules but get the outcome you want
  6. Stockpile lowers because they will be the new currency when the SHTF (democrap gets elected as president and controls both house and senate) --- you probably have 50,000 rounds of ammo, a stockpile of normal capacity magazines in NH and a years worth of dried rations
  7. Post on NES but never do anything --- Do exactly what Healey wanted you to do when she held her press conference

The only part you have to get under the tyrannical eyes of the Marxist AG is the lower receiver.

Back
Top Bottom