• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ar build questions

MX338

NES Member
I have a lower and am looking at buying a complete upper but have some questions. It seems most people buy an upper with a 14.5" barrel and put a muzzle brake on to make it mass comp. I was looking at this upper BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ VTAC ALPHA 13" Handguard . would I still need to pin and weld a brake on it to make compliant?

This is basically going to be a range toy so any recommendations for uppers are also welcome.

I'm blocked at work so I can't see the upper but if it's 16 inches your good to go. No flash hider correct?

IANAL but for MA you'd need to get rid of the flash hider.
If you want to add a brake/comp it must be permanently attached. (I believe)

That's what I thought but wasn't sure if it was a size requirement only or what. Their site has options to permanently attach a brake on the 14.5 but not the 16. just pricing everything out so guess ill have to add that into the cost. thanks.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure if it was a size requirement only or what. Their site has options to permanently attach a brake on the 14.5 but not the 16. just pricing everything out so guess ill have to add that into the cost. thanks.

It's just a MA law if the barrel is already 16"
I'm not saying use loc-tite as it may not qualify, but read this thread. You may stil want to get it welded or soldered on there.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/221123-does-loctite-qualify.html

16" barrel length is Federal law (as well as MA obviously) And NO loctite will not qualify. The AWB is very explicit on what does and what does not qualify as permanently attached. But there are always a few dolts trying to read between the lines.

Silver solder with melting point over 1100 degrees.
Blind pin with hole welded closed.
At least 1/2 of a full circumference weld.
Four equidistant welds around perimeter.

Back
Top Bottom