AR Build questions

jron

NES Member
I have been researching on building an AR for my girlfriend. I have a few questions that I wasnt sure about

smallest size barrel in MA would be 16"?
pining the stock, is that something I can do myself?
and according to me reading the lower is the actual "firearm" that needs to go thru and FFL
also will I need any special tools to put things together.

My plan as of now, is most likely get a DPMS upper any recommendations/opinions on this upper. This will just be a range gun for her so dont need all this fancy parts.

If you buying a complete upper you don't need any tools . If your building one you need a vise block or pad the jaws and a wrench for the barrel nut.

A m4 type butt stock you'll need a wrench for the castle nut. Pinning the stock not hard just drill and press a pin in .

Some people use a 14.5 barrel with a pin muzzle device to get around the nfa rules . But in mass you'll still have to pin the muzzle device on a 16 inch that's a little harder and depending on your skill set you can do it .

DPMS upper any recommendations/opinions on this upper

Yup, it is just what you called it, a range toy. I would not trust it to do any heavy lifting. I've seen/heard of way to many that are just plan crap to rely on it for anything than looking cool at the range.

Of course this is the internet and someone will inevitability disagree with me.

Yup, it is just what you called it, a range toy. I would not trust it to do any heavy lifting. I've seen/heard of way to many that are just plan crap to rely on it for anything than looking cool at the range.

Of course this is the internet and someone will inevitability disagree with me.

I second the motion. The "parts is parts" crowd will be along shortly. [wink]

For putting together a lower I use smooth jaw pliers and a scissor clamp. I don't bother with hammer/punches, but some do.

Just support the trigger guard ears on the lower. And use a quartrer inch dowel (or drillbit) to help trap the spring/detent for the front pivot pin.

I by no means want junk, but also not going to get premium parts for a 2-3 times a month at the range gun

I by no means want junk, but also not going to get premium parts for a 2-3 times a month at the range gun

Buy once, feel mildly uncomfortable once. I know the saying is cry but the cost between junk and quality is not that far off. If and when you can find them, get a complete BCM upper and build a lower. If you don't want junk don't get DPMS.

If a BCM upper is too much a mid tier option is a PSA upper:

PSA M4 Premium Upper - 16'' CMV CL Stripped Upper - Cosmetic Blem, Ready for Duty - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

Grab a charging handle from wherever and add a bcg from Windham:

Windham Weaponry Online - Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly for AR15 (says out of stock but they are still shipping - not for much longer according to their guy on the phone!)

Slap it on a lower and you're off and running. With the ammo supply what it is maybe running isn't the right word..... [thinking]

If a BCM upper is too much a mid tier option is a PSA upper:

PSA M4 Premium Upper - 16'' CMV CL Stripped Upper - Cosmetic Blem, Ready for Duty - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

Grab a charging handle from wherever and add a bcg from Windham:

Windham Weaponry Online - Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly for AR15 (says out of stock but they are still shipping - not for much longer according to their guy on the phone!)

Slap it on a lower and you're off and running. With the ammo supply what it is maybe running isn't the right word..... [thinking]

In my opinion, i wouldn't touch either.

Back
Top Bottom