• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build or buy

80% build, is jumping into a whole other realm.

an eye opening and addicting realm.

- - - Updated - - -

If this is your first AR, buy one complete, you will then understand how it works, how to take it apart, and what you don't like about it. My first AR was a Bushmaster that I sold at the height of the insanity. With that profit, I assembled two ARs, a 20" heavy barrel for long-range shooting and a 16" light carbine model for messing around.

Chris

This. It's what I did for my first AR, second AR was built for the wife from the ground up. Still love my first AR to death but I will never purchase an entire rifle unless it's a slammin' deal and magically comes with everything I want in a rifle.

Build one. You will learn 10 times as much about your rifle building it than if you bought it.

If you're into learning the in's and out's of things, then by all means, build one. It's very easy to do.

I just finished mine this weekend and took it out yesterday, nothing more pleasing than seeing your handiwork operate flawlessly.

I started my build a few weeks after Sandy Hook. Some parts were hard to find, and some had premiums applied if you could find them. All in all, I ended up paying "premiums" for the upper, lower, and barrel. Everything else was at cost and the only thing I had trouble finding was a BCG and a lower parts kit.

Good luck, and no matter which route you go, enjoy!

If you've never used one, buy a complete AR first. You can then build additional uppers to go onto the one lower. Once you get into it more, look to complete an 80% lower for more complete rifles.

IF you have the right tooling, processing an 80% lower can be easy and give a great end result. If you think you can do it just with a drill press, be prepared for many hours of work (lots of file work).

I purchased one complete AR15 early this year (in January) for non-retarded pricing. You can get better deals now, if you look around a bit. Depending on what you want to build, you can easily spend a LOT of money. But, you'll get exactly what you want from the start.

If you live in a free state, you can even build up AR pistols (without having to pin, or perm. fix, the magazine).

If you want to see what's involved in all options, start connecting with other members that can show you, first hand, what's involved. Go to some build parties/gatherings (even as a JAFO) and gain knowledge. Read, watch videos, etc. on the processes. Read up on using vise grips to put some of the pins into the lowers/uppers instead of using a punch. It will save you a lot of headache that way. Especially for things like the bolt catch, trigger guard and forward assist.

No matter which route you go, at least you have an AR to play with. Once you decide about building them, you could have many more.

I'm building one right now (actually done and waiting on the barrel) and its been a blast. If you can handle the wait times for some parts it's a fun experience. Like Christmas every time a part comes.

Me personally i say build. Its fun and it does help you understand exactly how the AR goes together. I built mine using nothing more then Youtube videos as references, and it works fine. I do not regret my decision one bit

Every firearm you own should be an ingrain on strip and build, if not why own it, everything I have, from M1 to M1A to 700's to 870's to 45's to wheelies is a go and get er done, if you own it you better be able to fix it, sorry folks that don't like my attitude, **** your selves when the SHTF!

ever try to strip a hi point carbine? and yes I do strip down everything I own, but I normaly leave the trigger assembly alone (trying to get to it in many guns is not friendly)

... We all know the schmuck who buys a rifle then proceeds to swap the handguards for a quad rail, the FSB for a low pro gas block, installs a magpul stock and grip, maybe a better trigger. Well you get my point. Most of that stuff ends up sitting in boxes never to be used again. Ask me how I know. I am that schmuck.

Dibs on your parts bin!

Back
Top Bottom