• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Build Manual

I thought I stumbled across an AR15 build manual awhile back, before I owned an AR. Now that I have one, there are some things I need to do to it to try and make it more accurate, as I am having trouble with the upper and both sights being a bit out of line (more than sight adjustments can correct for). So, did I imagine this thread/manual on NES? Or should I just go ahead and buy that AR Build Manual from buildyourownar15.com? Thanks guys.

First get someone who knows how to build an ar15 to take a look at it. Or preferably Bring it to a gunsmith

If put together correctly it should be pretty accurate

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I thought I stumbled across an AR15 build manual awhile back, before I owned an AR. Now that I have one, there are some things I need to do to it to try and make it more accurate, as I am having trouble with the upper and both sights being a bit out of line (more than sight adjustments can correct for). So, did I imagine this thread/manual on NES? Or should I just go ahead and buy that AR Build Manual from buildyourownar15.com? Thanks guys.

Here's the Army technical manual: http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

What kind of sights are you running? From what distance are you shooting?

I do not know the actual sight products, as I won this in a raffle. The rear is a dual peep flip up sight and the front is the standard AR adjustable post sight. When looking down the length of the gun the front sight appears to be heavily canted right, the hand guard appears slightly jogged left, and the rear sight appears slightly canted to the right. I will try to take a photo to illustrate this condition.

Dz, that whole upper is a Stag upper, purchased as a unit. The handguards COULD be a little loose, there is a allen screw up under the front where the magazine well is. That might be the handguard issue... as for the sights.... I never touched them. Let me know if there is something drasticly wrong with them, because they are straight from the factory and never used.

I do not know the actual sight products, as I won this in a raffle. The rear is a dual peep flip up sight and the front is the standard AR adjustable post sight. When looking down the length of the gun the front sight appears to be heavily canted right, the hand guard appears slightly jogged left, and the rear sight appears slightly canted to the right. I will try to take a photo to illustrate this condition.

If the front site base was pinned "crooked" you probably won't be able to fix it without some real gunsmithing. If it's the setscrew kind (usually those are only on "match" rifles) then you could probably adjust it yourself. They make a tool if you want to get it perfect: http://www.ray-vin.com/gunsight/arwa.htm

adj-pinned.jpg

(Image courtesy of Ray-Vin)

Last edited:
Someone actually said the upper may be a problem, and EC looked at it and seemed to feel that the front sight is in fact pinned. He mentioned that some have an allen screw and are easily adjusted.

Brian, I will adjust the handguard as you mentioned. Like I said I have a lot to learn about the building of an AR. I have just reached the mechanical limits of the sight adjustments, which is why now I need to know how to modify the actual build to try and line myself up. THe thing shoots like a dream though I love it. I have already put about 200 rds down range with it. I didn't even care that I wasn't on target. Though, after 200rds, now I feel I have to step up the accuracy.

...EC looked at it and seemed to feel that the front sight is in fact pinned.

Most of them are. They use taper pins that fit into machined groves on the bottom of the barrel. If those grooves were drilled crooked you're pretty much SOL. If the upper is still pretty new you should send it back and make them fix it for you.

Keep me informed and if i is jacked up i will see about swapping it ou. In fact, lets just get it back to fdf and have them look at it. I would rather have the dealer and manufacturer look at it thban a gsmith, my cost. Let me know when

I called FDF today, but Dennis wasn't around. He will be there tomorrow so I will either try to call or drop by tomorrow to talk to him. I may bring the AR with me in the event that he can take a look at it then and there.

...for the life of me I cant see where I missed that.

Easy to miss actually. The front site base would only need to be canted about 1/8th of an inch to be hitting the mechanical limits of the rear site windage adjustments. You'd have to have really good eyes (better than mine) to notice that if you weren't looking for it.

LOL thanks Jasons, that ALMOST made me feel better LOL ....Either I missed it because I have shitty eyes or im getting old... mmmm I feel better already LOL .... Either way hopefully we get this rectified tonight...

Back
Top Bottom