• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Bipod arriving tomorrow for AR-10. Now I'm looking at weapon lights. The cloud defense rein 3.0 style seems like it would work. $400 seems a little steep though. With the bipod up up front I'll probably mount light on side rail and pressure switch up top? This would be for the AR-15 not AR-10.
i use rechargeable olights just because they use same cord for any of its lights so i do not have to get into a mental stupor on what device got what cord and where to find it.

Finally got the AR-10 over to a longer range. After dialing it in at 200y I was consistently breaking clay pigeons. I could reliably hit gongs and torso sized stuff at the next two distances (300y-400y?) by using the 1 and 2 on scope reticle. I couldn't really hit a steel goat out a little further though. Should I be aiming low at 400 when zeroed for 200?

Finally got the AR-10 over to a longer range. After dialing it in at 200y I was consistently breaking clay pigeons. I could reliably hit gongs and torso sized stuff at the next two distances (300y-400y?) by using the 1 and 2 on scope reticle. I couldn't really hit a steel goat out a little further though. Should I be aiming low at 400 when zeroed for 200?
Here is your reticle dop for 175gr load, at 10x magnification.
target above represents 100yds distance. i forgot to remove wind, so it is a bit to the left.
894AA601-F94C-4830-8B34-E8D1DF0E8C9E.png

Last edited:
A 100 yard zero would hold you about 0.6 up at 200 and 2.3 at 400
Assuming your TenMile is MRad

With a 200 zero, you’d be about 1.6 high based on my app adjustments.
168gr with 2700ft/s
Before:
CA703838-9BB1-4534-8ABB-E8D4F9D8280D.png

After
01098FC3-973A-4DA5-BB8B-48F48E753291.png

So I just sent in for the stamp to build my AR-9 SBR. Aero EPC lower and 8.3in upper with atlas s-one handguard. Trying to make the recoil impulse better from the get go. Has anyone used the JP BCG and captured spring in a similar setup?

Ordered a taccom adjustable 9mm buffer setup and their extreme BCG. I'm probably just going with the regular EPC LPK. Macon armory offers an improved magazine release for EPC-9. I'll see if it's needed with their new barrel design.

I'm thinking of going all Daniel defense furniture. Not sure if I want a vertical foregrip or some sort of hand stop yet.

Last edited:
Parts are all ordered and only waiting on a few more. Stamp will follow shortly after hopefully.

Aero EPC 8.3" upper w/ atlas s-one 7.5"
handguard
Aero EPC-9 Glock mag lower
Aero lower parts kit
Aero carbine buffer tube
Taccom Extreme short-stroke
BCG at we
Taccom adjustable buffer system
Radian Raptor-SL charging handle
Radian Competition red anodized ambi
safety
Macon armory improved EPC mag
catch/release
CMMG zeroed linear comp
Daniel defense furniture

Supposedly the new Epc-9 feed cone works well. The Macon mag catch is supposed to allow the mag to seat higher to help feeding. Should be no problems there.
I went back and forth on buffer systems but ended up with this one because it is adjustable and comes as a complete set. The special BCG is supposed to allow for short stroking while keeping LRBHO function.

Last edited:
Holosun SCRS has finally shipped after ordering back in April!

Sight performed great. Before heading to the range I noticed the buffer seemed to be loose!? The castle nut was loose somehow. I guess the shop I paid to assemble while I waited didn't do a great job... then at the range the velocity trigger shoe started to come loose! Trigger was twisting and wouldn't reset properly. Seems fine now after tightening but I need a vise to really tighten castle nut.
Mags were dropping free and the BCG was locking back on last round so everything else is working great.

Last edited:
So my Modlite PDW came in and ofcourse its a little too tall for the SCRS. I'm going to look into a slightly higher mount. More concerning is that when I laid the rifle on its side the two trigger pins just fell out!? I believe this trigger is a while drop in assembly with extra pins and retaining screws to secure everything. The shop that assembled this truly did a horrible job.

So my Modlite PDW came in and ofcourse its a little too tall for the SCRS. I'm going to look into a slightly higher mount. More concerning is that when I laid the rifle on its side the two trigger pins just fell out!? I believe this trigger is a while drop in assembly with extra pins and retaining screws to secure everything. The shop that assembled this truly did a horrible job.

Are you putting the Modlite at 12 o'clock under the Holosun? Maybe a 45* pic to pic rail adapter?

Install KNS AntiWalk pins. Fast and easy.

believe this trigger is a while drop in assembly with extra pins
any drop in trigger body has screws that need to tightened - if pins fell out - it means it was not done - either bolts are missing, or, something else got screwed.
you do not use anti-walk pins with such triggers. plus if those bolts are not tightened - trigger will malfunction.
get the trigger out and observe. an every single drop in solid body trigger has such screws.

View: https://youtu.be/lCOKkJf31fU?feature=shared&t=384

any drop in trigger body has screws that need to tightened - if pins fell out - it means it was not done - either bolts are missing, or, something else got screwed.
you do not use anti-walk pins with such triggers. plus if those bolts are not tightened - trigger will malfunction.
get the trigger out and observe. an every single drop in solid body trigger has such screws.

View: https://youtu.be/lCOKkJf31fU?feature=shared&t=384

I plan to take a closer look inside tonight when I get home. I ordered a cheap set of wilson combat anti-walk pins as well.
Ordered a magpul polymer offset m-lok to rail adapter for the modlite. If I don't like the positioning I'll pony up foe the reptilia mount.

I plan to take a closer look inside tonight when I get home. I ordered a cheap set of wilson combat anti-walk pins as well.
Ordered a magpul polymer offset m-lok to rail adapter for the modlite. If I don't like the positioning I'll pony up foe the reptilia mount.
anti-walk pins will not prevent trigger body from wobbling inside and it will be problematic, so, you'll need to figure out of what is the deal there.

kinda good visual illustration behind a reason for a simple enough advice - 'buy aero'.
This build is all aero with a factory 8.3 upper. Taccom extreme BCG and adjustable buffer. I did splurge on the fancy velocity trigger though. The set screws needed a lot of tightening and I don't even think there is an additional small screw above to secure them as shown in a few videos. I have a few things on order but ofcourse I forgot the oversized bolt catch...

Back
Top Bottom