AR build in MA. Now AR-9!

Yay or nay?

View attachment 554411

I don't know if I'll need the adjustability but figured it can't hurt. I mangled my Odin works one so I swapped it out on my ar-15 before pin and weld. Also I want a nitrided one to match the barrel šŸ˜Ž
That looks a lot like optics planet website. Iā€™d highly recommend not purchasing from them. Youā€™ll wait a year to hopefully receive your barrel

Will steel cased ammo be ok? Just bought some not even thinking.
Bad move. Now your entire build will fall apart. Get ready for broken extractors, FTF, FTE, bent magazine lips, barrels stripped of rifling, and of course, terrible accuracy.

Kidding! 90% of what I shoot is Wolf steel. Clean regularly and all is well

I ordered the lantac ultimate pin set to try and get rid of the little bit of wiggle on the KAC. They showed up looking like two different finishes. Anyone ever have something like that happen? I started the return and ordered another. I wonder if someone swapped one or something.

I've only shot the SR-15. Haven't even put the AR-10 together. Still no workbench/vise at my place. I had been contemplating having a shop assemble the upper and pin/weld the brake at same time because I'm dying to shoot this thing. I still need a dedicated optic as well.

I've only shot the SR-15. Haven't even put the AR-10 together. Still no workbench/vise at my place. I had been contemplating having a shop assemble the upper and pin/weld the brake at same time because I'm dying to shoot this thing. I still need a dedicated optic as well.
Wait for pin job until all the rest is tested

For optic I like how a $500 primary arms 3-18x with Athena mil reticle fits .308 but there are more options there in all budgets.

Good advice and something I hadn't even considered. I keep reading AR-10s can be a little harder to put together.
It depends. Most likely all will cycle ok but if you pin it and then need to swap a gas block - ā€¦
Medium and rifle length gas are usually fine with non adjustable gas. The buffer may require attention- there are 3 grades of springs and different buffers. If you used a carbine buffer- get steel Russian.308 Tula and run it - make sure it does not smack buffer all the way - you will feel and hear it if it does. Etc.

Last edited:
I ended up with normal gas block on my rifle length AR-15. Was that a no no?
On an AR15, you do not need an AGB on a rifle length unless you are running a silencer and just want to reduce blowback.

AR-10s just have a wider range of cartridge pressure curves and itā€™s recommended to run one for them.

But itā€™s important to remember that AGBs only allow you to reduce gas flow, not increase it. Only way to increase it is to increase your gas port size. Whereas if you want to reduce gas flow but donā€™t need to do it on the fly, you can get a Black River Tactical EZTune gas tube:

Is there any downside to EFA-10ing my AR-10 before it's fully assembled? With new rules coming out I figure I may want to just do it.

Is there any downside to EFA-10ing my AR-10 before it's fully assembled? With new rules coming out I figure I may want to just do it.
if it will make you sleep better at night - do it.
do it, or do not do it ever - it has 0 relevance to the fact of what .gov can do to any of us. they already have all the info they need, so, it would not matter, really, what and when that efa10 is posted, or not posted.

Well I got the SR-15 "SPR" to the 200yd-400yd range. I was constantly hitting the second from smallest gong at 300yd and the silhouette fairly consistently at 400yd. With a little tweaking of me, ammo and optic I'm sure it could do even better.
Ok hotshot, put a 12" neon paper target out at 300 yds and show us the groupings. You'll probably need a 9x scope for that ;)

Ok hotshot, put a 12" neon paper target out at 300 yds and show us the groupings. You'll probably need a 9x scope for that ;)
That's a long walk! I actually went yesterday and after confirming zero was still good I was less consistent. Though it was windy! The scope is the swampfox 1-10x LPVO.

I figured many of us would be more inclined to NOT FA10 an AR šŸ˜‚
All I know is that if the cops or DA are making sure your guns are ā€œregisteredā€ you got big problems.

In some ways the old paper FA10s were better. You sent in one copy and kept another. Later, if they said they didn't have it you just showed your copy and said you mailed theirs. At that point it's a THEM problem. They would have to prove a negative, that you didn't send it, which is impossible unless they find the original in your home.

Hoping to build the AR-10 next month. But in the meantime I'm looking for a few upgrades to the AR-15. My lower has a generic KAK parts kit but I did replace the trigger. Looking for suggestions on a new safety with shorter throw. May also replace mag release.

Back
Top Bottom